Chiang Rai: Rescuers make progress on day seven

rooster59

I am just hoping they are all safe and well,

wishing they get found and get out of there very soon.

every reason to believe they will be ok albeit a little lighter

In weight when they get out...must be good news soon

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

‘Poor coordination in cave search leading to waste of time’

By The Nation

79fad6f6b36c3e9ce8052f2ffd3154cf.png

Lerpong Suansang, head of a search team of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department

A senior rescue official complained about the wastage of time caused by the lack of adequate coordination between several teams exploring shafts over Chiang Rai’s Tham Lung Cave.

Lerpong Suansang, head of a search team of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said there were several teams searching for shafts that could offer a passage to chambers in the cave where it is believed a 13-member football team could have been trapped.

Lerpong said several shafts had been searched that they only led to a dead-end but due to lack of coordination other teams also ended up searching the same shafts, assuming them to be new discoveries.

He said there should have been better coordination so that all the rescue teams were aware of which shafts had been searched.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30348999

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-30

What else is new about how the Thais organize. 

Why hasn't this cave been mapped? 

9 minutes ago, namatjira said:

I am just hoping they are all safe and well,

wishing they get found and get out of there very soon.

every reason to believe they will be ok albeit a little lighter

In weight when they get out...must be good news soon

We all wish they'll be OK and out of there all alive ASAP.

But there are plenty of good reasons by now to think they already may very much be NOT OK. 

I'm noticing a pattern and it could be just the way most people are wired that to not be Pollyanna-ish about this is in some way hurting their chances while disregarding the grim facts somehow might help their chances. That's magical thinking. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We all wish they'll be OK and out of there all alive ASAP.

But there are plenty of good reasons by now to think they already may very much be NOT OK. 

I'm noticing a pattern and it could be just the way most people are wired that to not be Pollyanna-ish about this is in some way hurting their chances while disregarding the grim facts somehow might help their chances. That's magical thinking. 

I don't think that anyone is discounting the "grim facts" merely holding off until this event reaches some sort of conclusion.

The "grim facts" were outlined by the Thai navy SEALS as soon as they tried to penetrate the cave system.

The British spokesman has done the same.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Any work carried out , where the workers seek financial reimbursement , needs to be legal work carried out and he was just asking whether they had the correct permits to make it legal ,so that they could collect reimbursements , if necessary 

You mean it is illegal to try and rescue kids without a permit in Thailand?  

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I don't think that anyone is discounting the "grim facts" merely holding off until this event reaches some sort of conclusion.

You're wrong obviously as I was responding to a member that said this --

...  every reason to believe they will be ok ...

Look, I'll go there. 

At this point it's reasonable to assume that some, most, or even all of them are probably already dead.

There's also a fair chance that happened the first day by swimming into the currents. 

People don't want to say that because they may feel that would jinx the rescue efforts.

That should obviously continue for much longer. There is definitely still hope. Just not a massive amount of it now especially for all of them. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, jmccarty said:

An AUV or ROV is not going to be of any use in a river flowing through a cave. Please don't hate me for saying, I do want these people to be saved.  But the truth is, that the water flow stop and draining is the only way, if they can be saved, it will happen.

It would be interesting to find out what the water in the cave usually does, how it reacts .

Is it a constant pool of water for six months or is it just a temporary thing that fills drains away according to the weather conditions ?

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong obviously as I was responding to a member that said this --

...  every reason to believe they will be ok ...

My profound apologies as I thought that this is a public forum and I did not see you quoting any particular member but in actual fact you did!

However you did proceed from the specific to the general did you not-"noticing a pattern"?

7 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

You mean it is illegal to try and rescue kids without a permit in Thailand?  

No, I didnt mean that .

If that was what I was trying to say , I would have said that , but,I didnt say that

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

My profound apologies as I thought that this is a public forum and I did not see you quoting any particular member but in actual fact you did!

However you did proceed from the specific to the general did you not-"noticing a pattern"?

Yes, OK, but I have noticed a pattern and I understand it. Magical thinking is kind of how humans are usually wired. How else would you explain religion? 

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Srivara defends his questioning of officials at Tham Luang cave

Srivara-Rangsibrahmanagul.jpg

Pol Gen Srivara Rangsibrahmanagul, the national deputy chief, has come under attacks in the social media for what is seen as an act of intimidation toward officials working to save the lives of the 12 young footballers and their coach trapped in Tham Luang Cave.

A video clip showing Pol Gen Srivara questioning two officials whether they had a permission to fly a drone and drill a hole in the cave went viral on the last few days. It was his use of language and stern manner that irked social media users who expressed sympathy with the officials on the rescue mission.

An official was trying to use a drone to survey the mountain to look for shafts through which search and rescue officials could get down into the cave when Pol Gen Srivara intervened to question whether he had received proper permission to do so.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/srivara-defende-questioning-officials-tham-luang-cave/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-30

Next (sadly) the question of volunteering without work visas is sure to raise its head..

Such  stupidity displayed in the higher government levels here.

"Why you do that "

I no say you could drill hole...

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

How is that possible Poor coordination in Thailand ?Thai people Know Best?

Well it is their country.

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

interesting photo of a pump that arrived today.

Dg7I39-VAAEz1Eu.jpg large.jpg

Wow! Looks like the mother of all pumps.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, OK, but I have noticed a pattern and I understand it. Magical thinking is kind of how humans are usually wired. How else would you explain religion? 

How else would one explain Capitalism or Communism?

Sure,I think that we are all hardwired with some sort of magical thinking but don't forget that the Greeks got it right-when Pandora's box was opened the last to fly out was Hope..

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sure,I think that we are all hardwired with some sort of magical thinking but don't forget that the Greeks got it right-when Pandora's box was opened the last to fly out was Hope..

Thai want money it's just the way it is. Organization means nothing

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

I think that's what many people are afraid of. If you start to get too hard boiled about what their odds are here, people may think that hope will be abandoned and rescue efforts will weaken. That's a fair concern. I'm getting to the point though of thinking these rescuers are risking their lives too. As time goes by and the chances of rescues goes down, how reasonable is it to ask people to continue to risk their lives? We're not there yet but as time goes by ... 

• Like 2