Rescue Diver Killed In Tham Luang Cave Complex

webfact

Rescue Diver Killed In Luang Cave Complex

By Khaosod English

36418906_1625449647578428_59967769838564

Rescue divers search Tham Luang Nang Non on June 29. Photo: Thai NavySEAL / Facebook

By Todd Ruiz and Jintamas Saksornchai

CHIANG RAI — Three nights after an unlikely miracle, a massive search-turned rescue effort in northern Thailand took a tragic turn when one of the rescue divers died late Thursday night.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Samarn Kunan, 38, died inside the Tham Luang Nag Non on day 13 of the operation, the deputy provincial governor said Friday morning.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/07/06/rescue-diver-killed-in-luang-cave-complex/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-07-06
  • Sad 5

Chiang Rai: Thai Nave SEAL dies during rescue

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2018-07-06-at-9.42.17-AM.jpg

A Thai navy SEAL has died while on the way way back to the ‘hall 3’ area from where the 13 footballers are stranded. He was participating in the rescue of the 13 footballers in the Tham Luang Caves in Chiang Rai.

Apparently, according to a media briefing in Chiang Rai at 9.30am, the Thai diver was undertaking a long dive, fell unconscious and could not be revived.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/chiang-rai/chiang-rai-thai-nave-seal-dies-during-rescue

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-06

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

lets hope this phase of the operation is not starting to go sideways.

And the day before, there was the little remarked upon item reported here by one of the news stories about the plans for setting up a telephone link to the kids suffering a setback when the telephone equipment "fell into the water." ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thailand cave rescue: Diver dies while taking in supplies

A former Thai navy diver who joined in search efforts to rescue 12 boys and their coach trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand has died.

Saman Kunan, 38, lost consciousness on his way out of the Tham Luang cave complex after delivering supplies to the missing group, officials said.

He could not be revived by his colleagues.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44734385

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-07-06

Thai rescue diver dead after falling unconscious in cave

2018-07-06T030459Z_1_LYNXMPEE65070_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

Military personnel gather as they prepare to go in to Tham Luang cave complex, as members of an under-16 soccer team and their coach have been found alive according to local media in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 5, 2018. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai rescuer has died after falling unconscious during part of an operation to rescue 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped inside a cave complex in northern Thailand.

Samarn Poonan, a former member of Thailand's elite navy SEAL unit who was part of the rescue team in Chiang Rai, died on Thursday night after entering the cave to lay oxygen tanks along a potential exit route, the SEAL commander said.

(Reporting by Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Darren Schuettler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-06

When the news first broke that they had found the kid I, like everyone else, was overjoyed.  But I turned to my Thai wife and told her "Now the real problems start." She asked me what I meant, and I asked "How the hell are they going to get them out?"  

They joy and happiness at finding them may soon be replaced with the tragedy of losing some of them.

• Like 2

Ex-Navy SEAL involved in cave operation dies 

daabaf2c5b0eb3daad6777a3b257b9fa-sld.jpe

The marathon rescue operation to bring 13 young footballers out of a flooded cave in Chiang Rai claimed its first fatality on Friday when a former Navy SEAL diver died while working in the cave.

The 38-year-old former SEAL, who had joined the rescue operation, collapsed during the operation in the Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district at 1am on Friday. 

Petty Officer 1st class Samarn Kunun was rushed to a local hospital where he was declared dead, Naval Special Warfare Command chief Apakorn Yukongkaew said in front of the cave.

The 13 Mu Pa Academy football club members have been trapped inside the cave since June 23. They were found on Monday night but still cannot leave the cave because of the high water level.

Samarn died at 1am on Friday after collapsing on his way back after delivering oxygen tanks inside the cave, Naval Special Warfare Command chief Apakorn Yukongkaew said.

“Samarn took three oxygen tanks to the area where the boys are stranded, which is about 1,700 metres [from the base camp]. Though it does not look like a long distance, a one-way trek through the tough conditions takes about 5-6 hours. This means we use altogether 12 hours on one return trip,” Apakorn explained.

Samarn was brought to the cave’s chamber three, which is serving as the base for the operation. Samarn’s diving associate tried to resuscitate him by performing CPR on him but he did not regain consciousness and was declared dead by the hospital doctors. 

Apakorn said Samarn was certified with the special operations of SEAL and he had quit to work for the Airports of Thailand (AoT) at Suvarnabhumi Airport. He joined the operation to secure freedom for the Mu Pa footballers with the cooperation of AoT.

HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn will sponsor his funeral.

Apakorn said he was deeply saddened at the loss of his former SEAL member but the operation will continue to bring the boys out of the cave as soon as possible.

He said he had never had to deal with an operation in a cave but the rescue team will have to come up strategies. He described the ongoing operation inside the cave as challenging.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349459

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-06

31 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Tragic that a brave man loses his life while trying to rescue others. It does clearly show that even fully trained divers have problems navigating this cave. The idea of bringing the kids out by diving seems to be far more dangerous than some have been suggesting.

RIP Samarn Kunan. You will be remembered.

You said what I was going to. Those saying it was a simple matter of training to get the boys to dive through the flooded tunnels will now have to think again. If a SEAL can die, what hope young boys with no dive experience or swimming ability?

I know that I'd rather wait till the water goes down than risk it in a claustrophobic flooded tunnel, and I'm a SCUBA diver. Apparently there are places so narrow that it is single file. Way too easy for a small boy to panic and die, and that would be worse than waiting a few months. Given an electricity and phone cable and some home comforts, the time would be boring but hopefully result in success.

I hope they give this guy the highest medal LOS has for bravery. RIP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1