Carrying a passport around

Just posted this in the wrong forum..

Posting here as intended.

Some people say that you should carry your passport around and others say that a photo copy will do.

Additionally, I have been told that I need to carry my Thai driving license and also carry my UK driving license. While the other day, I was stopped by the traffic police, I produced the Thai driving license and they insisted on the IDP as well, which I don't have and so they asked me if i would pay a fine. Lol.

What are the real regulations here?

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Of course a Thai DL is the only document you need to drive here.

No IDP or home license accompanying.

The IDP question was a bad joke.

If he gets serious ask for the superior.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

but you must be able to present in a reasonable time and can be held until you do so.

That's exactly the guide line to decide whether to take it with you or not.

Domestic travel with overnights, flights etc.: take it with you.

Lock it away at the accommodation as soon as you arrive.

Again and again it is described that hotels check in foreigners without seeing the passport.

This is an illegal practice, don't rely on!

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Someone said?   Its a bit more official  than that. The law says that you must carry your passport at all times,. 

This has been done to death over the years on TV and no one can find a law that states that you must carry your original passport with you at all times.

The requirement is that you can prove your legal status in Thailand and photo ID, so a copy of your passport along with a Thai or Foreign DL (with photo) would be fine, you could be asked to produce the actual passport at a later time.

Personally I have the passport stuff recorded in my phone, if ever asked for it.

Carrying the original poses far too many risks, so only do this if doing something official that may need it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joe china said:

I watched the video. It was an hour. Some pretty horrific CCTV's.

After leaving, I was then able to easily identify other road users who had not seen the video or had forgotten.

so everybody then? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mattd said:

This has been done to death over the years on TV and no one can find a law that states that you must carry your original passport with you at all times.

The requirement is that you can prove your legal status in Thailand and photo ID, so a copy of your passport along with a Thai or Foreign DL (with photo) would be fine, you could be asked to produce the actual passport at a later time.

Personally I have the passport stuff recorded in my phone, if ever asked for it.

Carrying the original poses far too many risks, so only do this if doing something official that may need it.

so presumably  you dont have internet or google then,  as its  as clear as day there what the law says, as opposed to what  individual officers may say. . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

so presumably  you dont have internet or google then,  as its  as clear as day there what the law says, as opposed to what  individual officers may say. . 

Then please provide a source, as I said, no one can find an actual law that states that you must carry your passport, this subject comes up often and several respected posters and mods have looked in to in depth, same answer.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719631-passport-check-on-the-road/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-7711071

The immigration law states you must be able to prove that you have legal status in Thailand and does state that you may be asked to produce it at a later date, no where does it state the requirement to carry the actual passport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Someone said?   Its a bit more official  than that. The law says that you must carry your passport at all times,.  However,  that's risky and largely unnecessary if you carry a photo copy with you,  which is the current Embassy advice.  I also carry a photo on my mobile. If you carry a Thai Driving licence, that is usually good enough ID for the Plods and the Army.

If you have a Thai DL, why would you need to carry a British DL with you, or an IDP?   Doesn't make sense. 

Tifino has just said, tea money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe china said:

Thanks for the advice.

The International Driving Permit request was at a road block. They ignored the Thai Driving license.

Are you sure it was the real police? You should have asked the Lt/Gen. or police Col, or whatever rank he had 

bought and asked him why his tea drinkers were wanting tea money.

19 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Then please provide a source, as I said, no one can find an actual law that states that you must carry your passport, this subject comes up often and several respected posters and mods have looked in to in depth, same answer.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719631-passport-check-on-the-road/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-7711071

The immigration law states you must be able to prove that you have legal status in Thailand and does state that you may be asked to produce it at a later date, no where does it state the requirement to carry the actual passport.

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/all-foreigners-must-carry-identification-in-thailand-law/

http://www.samuitimes.com/gov-uk-foreign-travel-advice-thailand-june-4th/

48 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

How long have you lived in Thailand? Don't you know that Thai authorities make up their own rules?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

when the police were grabbing farangs for not having their passports on them in Bangkok last year this subject was raised with the head of police, he stated that farangs did not have to carry their passports with them and that a photocopy or pic on their phones was ok. 

In all the years this subject has been coming up nobody, that's nobody, has provided a link to the actual LAW which states "foreigners must carry passports" in either English or Thai language. Plenty of links to interpretations of the law, but no actual law.

Mine travels in my work bag, so I have it most of the time I'm in town, except when out for a beer (apparently the riskiest time), I do have a copy on my phone of the relevant PP pages. Never been asked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange, I get stopped now and again in Hua Hin (probably because my bike's plate is from another province), and they've always been happy with just my Thai driver's license. Once in a while they'll ask for the green book, but never any attempts to get me to pay a fine.

As for passport, the few times during my time in Thailand I've been asked to show it, photo copies of the main page and permission to stay page have always been accepted without issues.

• Like 1