Trapped footballer’s multilingual skills warm teachers’ hearts

webfact

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

It was a great scene to hear him communicate with the two British divers. Not so good when out of 12 kids he was the only one he could speak basic stuff and he is Burmese. 

Thailand is generations away from having a proficient English speaking nation. 

euh correction, not burmese but hilltribe which is a big difference. burmese are bpama. hilltribe'rs have different languages and customs. it's like calling a spanish a portugese. many of those hill tribes boys were actually stateless and live HERE and have gone to school HERE too. if he spoke good english he has learned it here somewhere from someone and surely not in some remote border area of shan state ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

It was a great scene to hear him communicate with the two British divers. Not so good when out of 12 kids he was the only one he could speak basic stuff and he is Burmese. 

Thailand is generations away from having a proficient English speaking nation. 

I really hope that this wonderful little chap will be an inspiration to all Thai kids up and down the land - encouraging them to learn how to speak English. It literally can help save your life!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

He's a Shan.  In CM all my friends are Shan and I find them very much brighter, intelligent etc. than most Thai people.

My wife said to me one time,why does everyone in the world have to learn English and not Thai.lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

My wife said to me one time,why does everyone in the world have to learn English and not Thai.lol.

Maybe in the future it may change from English to Chinese as the common World language ,as English replaced French in the past.

4 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Well, your wife has got a point: the great Prayut has already spoken of the day when Thai will become the world language!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"One of the team, 14-year-old Adul Sam-on, a Mathayom 2 student at Ban Wiangphan School, was heard asking the foreigners questions and helped translate for his friends."

That was ONE of the students speaking English. Obviously, his interest in learning English was not fostered by the school he attended, but something instilled in him in his personal/home life. Otherwise all the students would have been conversing in English. 

Perhaps (but I doubt it) the education ministry will finally implement an adequate, universal foreign language skills curriculum , along with critical thinking.

Edited by jaltsc

6 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

The answer is that no one has to learn English.

However given that English is the most widespread language in the world it is more useful to learn than Thai (which I do speak reasonably fluently, but it is all but useless outside Thailand).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davehowden said:

" There are two Filipino teachers to teach English ", well yes, sort of !!

There are many highly skilled Filipino English teachers here in Vietnam and the highest qualified, by a large margin, ESL teacher I've met, in 12 years of teaching, was also Filipino.

• Thanks 2

There is a very good reason why English is taught so badly if at all. It is government policy, and anything that tends to improve the situation is to be strenuously discouraged. Treat the indigenous like mushrooms, difficult if they can understand the international media.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

classic thai way of looking at things... and some people marry these folks ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

He's a Shan.  In CM all my friends are Shan and I find them very much brighter, intelligent etc. than most Thai people.

not only shan, basically all etnics in myanmar explaining why even MON's and KAREN's and BURMESE quickly learn Thai language, knowing it's a good thing to speak that language too. thai are lazy and self-centered beings as they are taught to be like that from early age. they look down on their neighbours and look down on the west. the will to EVOLVE in myanmar or laos is 10x stronger than here because thai have all they need: cheap chinese consumer goods, 24/7 7/11, internet and rice. when i was working in myeik and dawei there were plenty of THAI businessmen there only speaking thai. zero english, zero burmese. their staff were locals who spoke thai. the funny thing was the staff was much more witty then the bosses and laughed with the utter incompetence of the hand that feeds them ?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

A language doesn't spread in five minutes; Thai language is spoken only in Thailand, English began with colonisation then USA which  invented so many things and exported them all over the world : better English than Chinese ( but as said above, things can change in the future ; in two centuries , which language ? ) 

1 hour ago, anto said:

Maybe in the future it may change from English to Chinese as the common World language ,as English replaced French in the past.

Nope !  I've met a lot of Chinese in recent weeks and they say English is far more important to learn than Chinese because it's the number one International language.  They know that most of the World is not interested in learning Chinese.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I can remember about 20 years ago the then Thai PM Choen-Lee-Pie

You can't remember very well. You have both his first name and surname wrong and then mysteriously joined them together with a hyphen whilst splitting the surname with a hyphen.

10 years ago, the standard of English on Thaivisa was much higher. I don't hold out much hope of improvement.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I married one 12 years ago and when i met her three years before that she could already speak very passable English, better in fact than some of my English friends.

I would add that she did not learn English at Government Schools, where she says the Teachers not only lacked any interest in teaching English but showed no interest or awareness of a World outside of Thailand.   Indeed; until she was 11 years old she thought Thailand was 'The World'  because nobody from her Family or School had ever indicated that there was any other 'World'.    Then one day an old Monk visited the School and showed the Children an Atlas and pictures of his travels to other Countries.  Being a very excited 11 year old she rushed home later to explain to her Dad what she had learned that day but his response was a complete lack of interest, just replying...''Go help your Mother at the Market ''.    From that day forward my Wife was determined to learn all she could about the outside World and to take every opportunity to learn English and Travel 'The Real World'.   In doing so she has freed herself from the constraints of a Country led by a succession of  Moronic Thieves that have no interest in moving the country forward.

Sounds like Ireland where i grew up in the 60s .World History and Geography and Foreign languages or Religion other than Catholism  were not promoted 

52 minutes ago, Aforek said:

A language doesn't spread in five minutes; Thai language is spoken only in Thailand, English began with colonisation then USA which  invented so many things and exported them all over the world : better English than Chinese ( but as said above, things can change in the future ; in two centuries , which language ? ) 

if i were young i would learn CHINESE & SPANISH. now i speak and read 4 languages (3 fluent) and can speak thai (enough for daily chats/life, not enough to discuss the big bang or the complexities of belgian federalism ;-))

7 minutes ago, aloha23 said:

if i were young i would learn CHINESE & SPANISH. now i speak and read 4 languages (3 fluent) and can speak thai (enough for daily chats/life, not enough to discuss the big bang or the complexities of belgian federalism ;-))

Very good ! I just said " English better than Chinese " because, for the whole world, Chinese is much more difficult than English, it doesn't mean that English has a better value than Chinese 

34 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You can't remember very well. You have both his first name and surname wrong and then mysteriously joined them together with a hyphen whilst splitting the surname with a hyphen.

10 years ago, the standard of English on Thaivisa was much higher. I don't hold out much hope of improvement.

The main thing is the man TRIED to get it right after 20 years.so I'll give him 99% for trying and it would of been a 100% if he got the name right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Divers don't speak much of any language underwater, it's all eye movements, body contact, hand signals and (probably primarily in this instance) tugs on lines and tethers... the universal language of divers.

The water is very murky...they can't see anything.