Thailand cave movie: Hollywood producers already on the scene

snoop1130

Thailand cave movie: Hollywood producers already on the scene

By Megan Palin

2018-07-10T083406Z_1_LYNXMPEE690KQ_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

Relatives of boys trapped in a flooded cave are seen at a check point near the Tham Luang cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 10, 2018. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

“THIS will make a great movie some day.”

It’s a sentiment that’s echoed around the globe as millions of people watch on and champion the ongoing rescue of 12 young boys and their soccer coach stuck in a Thailand cave, in the country’s north.

But for some Hollywood producers, there’s no time to waste, and “some day” may as well be now.

A US film crew has already arrived at the foothills of the Tham Luang mountain cave system in Chiang Rai province as one of the world’s most daring rescue operations enters its third day.

Full Story: https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/thailand-cave-movie-hollywood-producers-already-on-the-scene/news-story/74268c86b6cf82501c628693490e14ab

-----------------------------------------------

Americans already plot movie of cave drama

By The Nation

1c1f2cb3f04a63de87269b1d66780d04.jpeg

Thai soldiers stand at the mouth of Tham Luang cave, at the Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in Chiang Rai province on July 2, 2018, as the rescue operation continues for a missing children's football team and their coach. // AFP PHOTO

A US film crew has already arrived in Chiang Rai, and two American producers are plotting a movie project about the 12 young Mu Pa Academy footballers and their assistant coach who were trapped in the cave for more than two weeks, according to an Australian news website.

The group was rescued from the cave yesterday after a marathon, multinational operation that captivated the world.

One Navy SEAL did, however, die trying to save the team which became trapped on June 23.

According to news.com.au, the American producers are plotting a movie about the boys’ ordeal in anticipation of a global box office hit.

Pure Flix films managing partner Michael Scott said: “I see this as a major Hollywood film with A-list stars”.

Scott and co-producer Adam Smith have already conducted preliminary interviews.

Scott and Smith also plan to bring in a screenwriter and interview key players from the team of foreign rescuers and Thai Navy SEALS, the trapped footballers and their families and seek exclusive rights to their stories.

Asked if their actions might be seen as insensitive at such a delicate time, Smith said: “There’s going to be other production companies coming in so we have to act pretty quickly.”

Scott, who’s married to a Thai woman and spends three months a year in Thailand, said they were not pressuring people over the interviews.

“I’ve told them: once this has died down let’s really sit down and have a more in-depth interview on what’s really happening,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349788

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-11

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thai cave rescue of boys soccer team is a drama fit for Hollywood

By Lisa Richwine

2018-07-10T160926Z_1_LYNXMPEE691OS_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

Volunteers celebrate near Tham Luang cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 10, 2018. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The nail-biting rescue of a Thai boys soccer team and their coach from a flooded cave complex transfixed news viewers around the world, and the story could be headed for a retelling by Hollywood.

Divers freed the last four of 12 boys and the adult coach on Tuesday, a successful end to a mission that gripped the world for more than two weeks.

The saga is reminiscent of the 2010 rescue of 33 Chilean miners who were trapped for 69 days, a tale that was turned into the 2015 movie "The 33" starring Antonio Banderas.

Like the Chilean rescue, the Thai drama showcases real-life courage in the face of harrowing circumstances, said Mike Medavoy, the Oscar-nominated producer of "The 33." It is likely the saga will be turned into a film or series of TV episodes at some point, he said.

"It's about the triumphs of individuals and groups of human beings over tragedy," Medavoy said. "It's a terrific story."

Producers with Pure Flix, a studio that specializes in Christian and family movies, already are on the ground to conduct preliminary interviews for a potential film, according to Australian news outlet AAP.

"I see this as a major Hollywood film with A-list stars," Pure Flix managing partner Michael Scott told AAP.

Pure Flix did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The attempt to retrieve the boys and their coach became a race against time amid a forecast of heavy rain that threatened to flood the cave tunnels with fast-flowing and rising water, adding plenty of suspense.

"It’s a combination of great jeopardy and great heroism," said literary agent Judi Farkas, who represented author Antonio Mendez on the film rights sale of his book "Argo" for the Oscar-winning Ben Affleck movie.

Bringing the Thai drama to the screen faces hurdles, however.

First, filmmakers need to secure the rights from each of the boys' families, the coach, and any rescuers they want to portray in order to get their firsthand accounts of what happened. The boys are ages 11 to 16.

And replicating the rescue on screen could be costly.

"The 33" was filmed in Colombia and Chile and produced for about $24 million. A movie about the Thai rescue could be made for less, Medavoy said, because filming in Thailand is cheaper. But filmmakers will have an added challenge as the rescue takes place in murky water, which was not a factor in the Chilean operation.

"The water and scuba diving scenes would be expensive," Farkas said. "Any time you film in water it's expensive."

A big-screen production likely would take years to bring to theaters. Producers would have to decide if interest will remain once the story fades from the headlines, Medavoy said.

"The 33" brought in $24.9 million at theaters worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo, just slightly more than its production budget.

The Thai rescue also could draw interest from TV networks, which could provide a quicker path to the screen. It remains unclear who the heroes would be in any film or TV version.

"Clearly the children are the heart of the story," Farkas said. "We don't yet know who led the rescue effort. We don't have enough details of the story yet to know whose point of view to tell it from."

In the meantime, news organizations are feeding public appetite for the story. U.S. television network ABC announced a special edition of "20/20" that promised a minute-by-minute account of the mission.

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine; editing by Bill Tarrant and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-11
  • Sad 2

I hear the Deputy Commissioner of Police wants another 12 million? This will help his election prospects. 

Who will play the Interior Minister?

The General will play a cameo scene of about 45 minutes in the movie.

As the Governor of Chiang Rai has moved on his piece will be played by that nice colonel they get to read scripts on the coup. Remember him. But they won't call him the Governor. The fear is that he will run for office in the up coming elections.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Vampires! Not the movie, the sick bastards turning up to plan a movie before they are all safely out. I hope they get told politely, or impolitely come to that, to "go forth and multiply." Maybe they can use less words than me though. Like two, with one of them being "off!"

Keep an eye on them. If caught doing anything like work bang them up in IDC and blacklist them.

• Haha 2

An inappropriate and potentially slanderous comment has been removed along with a reply.

Be very careful what you say about those who have been involved with this story please, and stay on topic.

I will be every unhappy if I have to deal with more like that comment.

10 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

I hear the Deputy Commissioner of Police wants another 12 million? This will help his election prospects. 

Who will play the Interior Minister?

The General will play a cameo scene of about 45 minutes in the movie.

As the Governor of Chiang Rai has moved on his piece will be played by that nice colonel they get to read scripts on the coup. Remember him. But they won't call him the Governor. The fear is that he will run for office in the up coming elections.

Scrape your    nails !

Now is certainly not the right time for producers to be talking about making a film (and I'm guessing they are staying pretty low key about it) but you have to admit this is a story that must be told on the screen one day since it's really a story about the human will to survive, courage, and sacrifice, and obviously it has already gripped the attention of most of the world...in a positive way. Hopefully it will be done by someone who really knows how to do it with class and style, like Spielberg.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Pure Flix is an American independent Christian film and television studio, headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona. The company produces, distributes, acquires and markets Christian and family-friendly films. 

Hollywood?! Huh - B movie? this is more like a sub C operation. However it makes a good headline and that is for AU an Australian "C level" news website. What is that anyway a Bogan website?

Thaivisa really this is bottom of the barrel stuff. Laughable.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

'The Great Escape' title has already been used.

so they'll have to dig deep for another

hope they limit this to a docu-drama

it wouldn't take too long to make, considering all the footage they can snaffle

• Like 1

I wonder if Hollywood contributed anything to the effort? Tech help or funds. Or just there to stake claim to riches for themselves. 

Fine to make a movie if the intent is right. But I somehow doubt it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tifino said:

'The Great Escape' title has already been used.

so they'll have to dig deep for another

hope they limit this to a docu-drama

it wouldn't take too long to make, considering all the footage they can snaffle

I have got to say it, how long will it be before we are watching a Thai soap opera and the two main characters go into a cave ............

Can you remember the Saudia prince who entrusted all his jewels to a Thai, who did a runner the police caught him, the BIB had a share in the proceeds ect  , they made that into a soap opera.If I remember right the Saudia prince  was not happy,it happens .

.As for the guy wanting to make a film  of it, I have a scalpel blade, I could easily make him two stone lighter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Easily avoided by just not going to the movie theatre. Real life action movie drama, with many key Hollywood ingredients;  kids in peril, exotic location, foreign hero types sent into save the day [see Rambo], race against time, female reporter for possible romance sub-plot, mystics and charlatans, etc etc. 

Unintelligent and exploitative. 

50 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I can't wait. I hope tvf gets a mention. We have been painstakingly cheering them on the whole time. 

I

I may have misunderstood a news post I came across the day the first kids were taken out, but I heard that somehow ThaiVisa was actually responsible for breaking the story of the first kids to emerge from the cave.  And right after I read it, the ThaiVIsa forum crashed and was down for about 15 minutes (as in maybe they suddenly got flooded with hits from around the world. ??)

Anybody care to comment or expand on this.  Just been kind of curious whether there is any truth to this.