Thailand cave rescue British diver John Volanthen says: 'We are not heroes'

webfact

I agree with him, the term hero has been overused in recent years to the point it is almost meaningless, its residual usage the domain of virtue signallers everywhere.

He, as were the others, are consumate professionals who did a complex technical job with a successful outcome.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

You can't choose whether or not others see you as a hero. 

Very few people in this world find the concept of being underwater, underground, in tight spaces anything less than a nightmare.  But thankfully there are some who thrive in that situation. But more than that they put their own lives and safety aside and worked tirelessly to save kids they didn't know from a country not their own. If that is not the embodiment of a hero than what is?

He was quoted as saying something like, it's not dangerous if you do it right. Guess the other Navy SEAL didn't.

"We are not heroes. What we do is very calculating, very calm. It's quite the opposite."

He's an IT consultant.  For excitement, IT people wrestle with new, raw releases of software from Microsoft and others and try to make it work.  They go into dark, flooded caves to relax.  Reality, not virtual reality.  Does a body good.

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, roquefort said:

Why not.

Makes more sense giving him a knighthood than to Gareth Southgate and his team of "heroes" for losing in a World Cup semi-final.

I don't think anyone has suggested a knighthood for the England coach or his team - maybe in 2020 :thumbsup:.

Regarding the incredible heroism of the British cavers/divers - why not show your appreciation by making a small (or large) donation to the British Cave Rescue Council ... http://www.caverescue.org.uk/ who will fund the next generation of cave rescuers.

I don't have any links to their Aussie/Belgian/Chinese/etc. equivalent organisations, but they are equally deserving of our appreciation. Maybe TV members could post links here.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

"We are not heroes. What we do is very calculating, very calm. It's quite the opposite."

He's an IT consultant.  For excitement, IT people wrestle with new, raw releases of software from Microsoft and others and try to make it work.  They go into dark, flooded caves to relax.  Reality, not virtual reality.  Does a body good.

Yes, they bravely embark on beta releases before the rest of the world plucks up the courage! These guys would have been heroes whether the cave rescue attempt had been a success or a failure... some of their earlier cave rescue attempts had in fact failed to pull out the people alive. But their actions and intentions (along with their tremendous expertise) are pretty heroic, even if they'd not succeeded that would still be true in my book. 

Watching the Heathrow press conference just highlights, emphasises and re-enforces what Rick Stanton stated.

What a team of international rescue effort complete with professionals, volunteers and amateur hobbyists can achieve.

With a unique set of skills, Saving lives and giving back to the community.

Very humble men, we salute you.

(Rick’s recent other half is also a U.K. local Thai nurse whom acted as a translator throughout).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

19 hours ago, roquefort said:

Why not.

Makes more sense giving him a knighthood than to Gareth Southgate and his team of "heroes" for losing in a World Cup semi-final.

No-one would object to a knighthood for the cave rescuers, I'd be delighted to see it. However, Southgate and the England squad did very well this year, better not to conflate the two things. 

The "hero" term is often overused.

Not every Cop, Firefighter, or Marine are heroes.

Unfortunately, some are lazy do nothings.

But, I do think these guys are heroes as they went above and beyond the call.

True heroes I think much regard and respect to them.