15% of Phuket’s advanced bookings cancelled

webfact

15% of Phuket’s advanced bookings cancelled

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

821e60dd9241ab640a7090187746ad0e-sld.jpe

About 15% of advance bookings have been cancelled in the past week in the wake of the boat capsize 8 days ago.  Chinese tourists are voting with their bookings citing a loss of confidence in Phuket marine safety, and safety generally.

The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Pongpanu Svetarundra says, “Chinese tourists are Thailand’s most important market at the moment.  The Phuket boat tragedy has already affected not only Phuket’s tourism but also mental and economic confidence. We are seeing clear signs of a back-lash.”

“There are more than 10 million Chinese tourists visiting Thailand each year which has already generated more than 500,000 million baht. More than 3 million of them are travelling to Phuket each year which has generated at least 150,000 million baht.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/15-of-phukets-advanced-bookings-cancelled

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-13
  • Thanks 1

If the total number is 15% and these are mainly Chinese tourists, who account about 33% of visitors in Phuket, then the percentage of Chinese cancelling advanced bookings is 45%.

I suppose it was not a good idea to blame Chinese for the incident.

Damn Chinese, who needs them, they are rude and selfish, the sooner the Thai's learn that money doesn't control everything, the sooner they learn that they would be no worse off...lol

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't be too enthusiastic :biggrin:

That will only be a short lived reaction to the current news.

Tourists quickly forget.

Bomb at the Erevan shrine: and is Bangkok emptied out?

This is not the first boat disaster. People drown on the short route from Pattaya to Ko Lan.

How many Chinese died in the past in vans and buses?

I even doubt that the average Chinese tourist is much informed about the destinations he travels to.

I tend to agree.

I think the Chinese will keep coming, whether they include marine activities, particularly those involving boats / diving, that is a different question. 

It may be the case they still travel to Thailand in big numbers, but exclude marine activities from their holiday package, and why shouldn't they, safety is clearly an issue here. 

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Thanks 1

This is music to my ears. Chalong was a ghost town for nearly a week after this accident and i realised how much has changed since the chinese invasion.

i am expecting a very short respit ,unless we get more storms like these.

the biggest difference was bus traffic,pier congestion and speedboat wakes. Other than that its the same old filthy dirty stinky chalong its always been. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

If the total number is 15% and these are mainly Chinese tourists, who account about 33% of visitors in Phuket, then the percentage of Chinese cancelling advanced bookings is 45%.

I suppose it was not a good idea to blame Chinese for the incident.

Prawit: 1) open mouth; 2) put foot in; 3) put brain into gear. 

Edited by Jonmarleesco

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Damn Chinese, who needs them, they are rude and selfish, the sooner the Thai's learn that money doesn't control everything, the sooner they learn that they would be no worse off...lol

Oh the irony!! 

• Sad 1

Phuket hotel bookings cancellation causes concern

phuket2.jpg

Phuket hotel bookings cancellation by Chinese tourists have unnerved Thai authorities and tourism-related business

The Transport Ministry and governmental agencies concerned have been working frantically to plug public safety loopholes to restore the confidence of Chinese tourists in wake of the cancellation of hotel bookings in Phuket by Chinese tourists following the July 5 sinking of Phoenix boat which left 47 Chinese dead and 46 survived the accident.

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisit ordered a revamp of safety traveling measures with tougher penalties against tour operators and boat skippers that defy safety measures.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/phuket-hotel-bookings-cancellation-causes-concern/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-14
  • Haha 2