Video: Detached wheel leads to head on pick-up and six wheeler smash

rooster59

Video: Detached wheel leads to head on pick-up and six wheeler smash

Dashcam1.JPG

Image: Daily News

Dash cam footage from Bang Pa-In north of Bangkok showed the moment an Isuzu pick up truck slammed into a six wheel truck.

Moments before the rear right wheel of the pick-up had come off. Police found it in the klong on the Khan Klong Road in Ban Sang sub-district.

Pick-up driver Kanok Kham-iam, 30, survived but had to be cut out. He was taken to Phra Nakorn Sri Ayuthaya hospital.

Thongdaeng Sa-atram, 44, driving the truck said he was on his way to Suphanburi and had chosen that route to avoid traffic. 

He said he saw the wheel come off the pick-up before the other vehicle slammed into him. 

Police said that the pick-up was carrying a heavy load and travelling at speed. Investigations continue.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-14

dashcam2.JPG

dashcam3.JPG

dashcam4.JPG

dashcam5.JPG

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Moments before the rear right wheel of the pick-up had come off. Police found it in the klong on the Khan Klong Road in Ban Sang sub-district.

That´s impossible! A wheel can´t be in the klong moments before it came off.

• Haha 2

A pile of junk carrying a pile of junk !     Just as well they are both off the road; driver very lucky he is alive.

The large Trucks brakes were working well though, look at the skid marks....and amazingly he braked straight, something they are not known for.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kickstart said:

If you look at the video it looks if the half shaft snapped in the back axal, or the wheel bearing collapsed, causing the wheel to come off, where is the brake drum, the pick up is 20  year old Nissan Big M.

Cause of accident, bad maintenance, yet again.wheels just do not fall off.

Pick up registration number 3057, I think I will buy a lottery ticket with 57 or 057 as the last 2 and  3 numbers.

Over-tightening wheel nuts by standing on the spanner/wheel-brace is the problem, breaks or severely weakens the studs. This can be done perfectly well/tightly enough by hand 

My 16 yo DMax (had it since new) has to go through an annual inspection before road tax renewal. Always goto the same workshop, apart from everything else (dynamo (all brakes), exhaust emission, wheel alignment etc.) the procedure is videoed!

How do ALL the pieces of crap (cars, trucks, busses) on Thai roads pass this examination?? Oh! silly me, the dreaded brown envelope.

Happy the driver survived BUT happier there is another bit of junk OFF the roads I use!

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

A pile of junk carrying a pile of junk !     Just as well they are both off the road; driver very lucky he is alive.

The large Trucks brakes were working well though, look at the skid marks....and amazingly he braked straight, something they are not known for.

I think the truck driver didn't want to end up in the klong. His boss would be mad. Better to hit the little pickup!

49 minutes ago, bdenner said:

My 16 yo DMax (had it since new) has to go through an annual inspection before road tax renewal. Always goto the same workshop, apart from everything else (dynamo (all brakes), exhaust emission, wheel alignment etc.) the procedure is videoed!

How do ALL the pieces of crap (cars, trucks, busses) on Thai roads pass this examination?? Oh! silly me, the dreaded brown envelope.

Happy the driver survived BUT happier there is another bit of junk OFF the roads I use!

For my old char, the just seem to check the brakes. They don't seem to care if a vehicle is a rust bucket or not.

DLT inspection ???  tax and insurance ???   Government insurance a bit of a joke since they never check vehicles or motorbikes for modifications / condition !!   The insurance companies the Government use need to tighten up their procedures before handing out insurance documents -  might get rid of a lot of dangerous vehicles .

Bloke I know saw a similar thing happen in front of him - two pick-ups. 

Another second or two and it would have been him and wife and kids in his small seadan, and not the pick-up truck.

He now drives a new big pick-up with a strong bullbar. 

Gonna get one myself when we return - unless I can afford/get one of these:

.image.jpeg.56bbe79212733e46e0f0156293decf5e.jpeg

There's thousands of these "heavy load" pick-ups everywhere.

The rear springs are doubled or trebled to take the extra loads and the rear wheels have quite solid inners with the usual rims welded in a shop somewhere.

The diffs, axles etc are standard 1 ton pick-up gear.......but instead of 1 ton, they now put on 2 tons.....axles snap as appears in this case and the brake drum just falls off, often due to the diff bending and on older units the chassis breaks behind the cab.

Sheer stupidity!

Edited by ChrisY1

2 hours ago, Jen65 said:

DLT inspection ???  tax and insurance ???   Government insurance a bit of a joke since they never check vehicles or motorbikes for modifications / condition !!   The insurance companies the Government use need to tighten up their procedures before handing out insurance documents -  might get rid of a lot of dangerous vehicles .

Took my Vios in for the MOT last Monday , the brakes were checked , the lights, wipers horn and indicators. All ok . Then the pipe up my flue. all ok. On the way home I just had to get past 3 pickups belching out smoke . The BiB might not know if the brakes work or the lights , but why oh why not stop vehicles leaving a smoke screen behind . Yes I suppose I know why , easier to sit on their fat arse and do nothing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, connda said:

Thailand - Number 1 Most Dangerous Roads in the World

Never a day without carnage!

Agree - but I dont blame the Thai people as so many posters here do. 

The source of the problem is clear - and I am old enough to remember when driving drunk in Aus was a normal thing. Things only changed after the media supported campaigns to introduce compulsory safety issues - things like seat belts, helmets and later breath testing - and the pollies reacted.

But now it has gone way too far in Aus - and you can break into someone's house and/or rob them on the street, and you will be fined and penalised less than someone driving a car too fast. And if that someone is over the limit, they are locked up and severely punished.  It is a ridiculous situation and a total over-reaction now - it has become all about making money for the Govt and appeasing the environmental car-hating nutters.  

Hopefully Thailand solves the problem by making the Police accountable and forcing them to do their job, but doesnt go too far and become a vicious nanny state on drivers.

9 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Agree - but I dont blame the Thai people as so many posters here do. 

The source of the problem is clear - and I am old enough to remember when driving drunk in Aus was a normal thing. Things only changed after the media supported campaigns to introduce compulsory safety issues - things like seat belts, helmets and later breath testing - and the pollies reacted.

But now it has gone way too far in Aus - and you can break into someone's house and/or rob them on the street, and you will be fined and penalised less than someone driving a car too fast. And if that someone is over the limit, they are locked up and severely punished.  It is a ridiculous situation and a total over-reaction now - it has become all about making money for the Govt and appeasing the environmental car-hating nutters.  

Hopefully Thailand solves the problem by making the Police accountable and forcing them to do their job, but doesnt go too far and become a vicious nanny state on drivers.

So you don't blame the Thais, but aren't the government/police Thais also?

• Confused 1

On 7/14/2018 at 2:57 PM, Andrew65 said:

Over-tightening wheel nuts by standing on the spanner/wheel-brace is the problem, breaks or severely weakens the studs. This can be done perfectly well/tightly enough by hand 

That's not the problem this time. The whole hub and brake drum have gone with the wheel and the second video clearly shows it's a sheared half shaft that's to blame.

1 hour ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

That's not the problem this time. The whole hub and brake drum have gone with the wheel and the second video clearly shows it's a sheared half shaft that's to blame.

Ah ok, I thought it was just the wheel.

On 7/14/2018 at 3:46 PM, bdenner said:

Yes and that driver now lives to be a danger for other users.its not the junk on the road that's the problem it's the driver that's put the junk on the road.

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

Yes and that driver now lives to be a danger for other users.its not the junk on the road that's the problem it's the driver that's put the junk on the road.

The driver IS the junk.