British cave diver slams Elon Musk’s submarine idea as nothing more than PR stunt

Jonathan Fairfield

Without Vern there would be no boys alive today. I do not agree in his comment about Musk, but don't make it bigger than it is .

Vern is a hero and will always be in the eyes of Thailand, 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tompa said:

Someone might have already posted this,,

Who apointed Rick Stanton as co-leader. the only person I can find giving him that position is Musk. 

It may be that some of his statements he made to Musk were not those he was permitted to make as there were communication restrictions strictly placed by the rescue leaders.

Edited by harrry
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ah. I remember when the engineers were regarded as basically scum in my country. I hear echoes of that time in Musk haters yells. The cause seems to be fear of the unknown future.

Since then engineers struck back though and became rich as the world moved from peasantry to high-tech. And became rich. Ha!  Suck on that, dinosaurs! ?

We did have struggle with engineers in some areas, but then the people who used to do the ground work engeeners themselves, and knew how to do it in the real world ? 

It have been many wrongs before getting it right from the drawing board to actually make it happend and make it good. 

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

When asked his thoughts on Elon Musk’s submarine Mr Unsworth replied: “He can stick his submarine where it hurts”.

“He [Elon Musk] had absolutely no concept of what the cave passage was like.

Thanks, someone says the truth about that "submarine. None right-thinking peoples believed that this piece of shit can help anyone there, can be interesting to know who all is involved in that propaganda joke.

• Like 2

Musk was too busy figuring out how get some PR out of this situation, he probably didn't think of the geometry of the cave or how a young (or old) person might panic in a little sub like that. I found his input very distasteful.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How did he increase the boys chances of survival?

The more solutions available, the greater the chance of success. It was designed on the limited info he had, when the conditions became known, it turned out to be not suitable.

And, I don't understand you last sentence at all despite reading it several times, sorry.  

That's ok, 'pollygee accepted.

Edited by Stuart21

Appears to me some posters here have encountered previous motivation to dislike Elon Musk, subsequently in this particular instance where he genuinely tried to assist, they are unfortunately allowing their ingrained animosity to cloud their judgement.

Anybody with an operating brain should be able to follow events and understand why the alternatives to the boys swimming out were no longer required!!

• Like 1

Lol i dont know if it would have worked it was never tested but at the time it was the only solution but think it definetly needed some development. Now please stop the insults and name calling its so childish.

Do you actually think this thing when inflated is flexible enough to go around corners? Get real! Also, the issue of exhausting CO2 hasn't been brought up. A B.I.B.S. (built-in breathing system) would be needed. The ballast system would still be a issue not to mention the cave areas where climbing is required. Buoyancy changes as air is used. strapping on air tanks violates the required envelope.This is just the short list of problems with this system. The video showed a young man popping out successfully. How long had he been in there? The whole concept is B.S. and still so many of you still cling to your love of this PR stunt to save face.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Yep, Vern is a hero. But he could be a little more gracious. I think Musk truly thought he could help. And no one outside of the divers knew the configuration of the cave.

So maybe his sub would've been useless but give Musk credit for trying. He's not so dumb as to try to insert himself into a life and death crisis only for the PR.

He is and he did, before you design something you will ask the requirements. which he obviously didn't bother to do.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

He could have also killed them.

If it had got to testing stage in the real situation it would either pass or fail. He offered it, did not DEMAND it be used. & he also offered his flexible one which may well have worked, following testing & debugging.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stuart21 said:

If it had got to testing stage in the real situation it would either pass or fail. He offered it, did not DEMAND it be used. & he also offered his flexible one which may well have worked, following testing & debugging.

Are you referring to the flexible one that is not flexible when inflated and bobbing around on the surface. Have you personally designed and built a submarine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1