Will Homepro cut PVC pipe to spec?

rexall

I have project requiring a couple of dozen lengths of  1 or 1.5 inch PVC pipe cut to various specific lengths.  Does anyone know if Homepro or one of the other big box stores will cut for me? I realize that I can get a cutter and do it myself, but Homepro has the right equipment and can do it better than I can and get it done in 20 or 30 minutes.

Thanks, lah!

Buy a hacksaw for goodness sake. You can measure as best you can but, for me when plumbing pvc pipe I over-cut, site fit then the final cut. You can always cut it shorter but you can't cut it longer.

• Like 2

I realize that I can get a cutter and do it myself, but Homepro has the right equipment and can do it better than I can and get it done in 20 or 30 minutes.  For goodness sake!

7 minutes ago, rexall said:

Tks!  You know for sure?

Yes, they cut some lengths for me a year or two back. Better to take a Thai speaker with you...

This was in the Hua Hin branch.

Edited by ukrules

19 minutes ago, grollies said:

Buy a hacksaw for goodness sake. You can measure as best you can but, for me when plumbing pvc pipe I over-cut, site fit then the final cut. You can always cut it shorter but you can't cut it longer.

And a mitre block to get it dead square. Although if you are glueing the joints, it doesn't matter if the pipe is cut a bit squew-wiff, the glue seals the joint.

Pvc comes in 4m lengths so I always have them cut it for me so I can get it in the car .
There is usually a hacksaw and tape measure in the area for this purpose.

To be honest I think they will cut it to any length you require , within reason, of course if you start asking for 3 or 4 cuts in each piece they might want you to pay a little.
Homepro Ayutthaya .

Mega Home will also cut it for you.

Slightly off topic: I bought some plastic gutters ( and down pipes, brackets, etc ) at Mega Home and they were only too happy to cut it for me on a chop saw.
Another time I bought one piece of Conwood for a fascia board and they refused to cut !! I cut it in the car park with a hacksaw so I could get it in the car !!

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

Did anyone else have to google how to to open these up when you first bought them....hahaha

come one admit it!

Or how do you hold the pipe to stop it turning as you rotate the cutter. Bought one and took it back......useless.

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Or how do you hold the pipe to stop it turning as you rotate the cutter. Bought one and took it back......useless.

Get a grip. You don't rotate the cutter, just a quarter turn or so then squeeze the handles and cut. If you've been a cheapskate and bought 8.5 pipe it may crush a bit on 1" pipe.

Edited by grollies
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I don't think the tool is useless. If I were you I'd be looking in the mirror.

14 hours ago, grollies said:

Get a grip. You don't rotate the cutter, just a quarter turn or so then squeeze the handles and cut. If you've been a cheapskate and bought 8.5 pipe it may crush a bit on 1" pipe.

When you squeeze the handles, it squashes the pipe to be oval, so cannot pust it then into another fitting, or so I experienced.

53 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Please explain your comment.

It was sarcasm. The comment referred to you stating the tool is useless.The tool isn't useless at all. More like the operator is useless. Like one of the TV members has as his signature,  "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you"  

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sarcasm  Definition of sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I guess every plumber & most DIY handymen across the globe have been using this tool for decades. I've cut literally hundreds of PVC pipes very successfully with it. All blue water PVC pipe is a breeze. Some thin wall electrical conduit, grey & white, needs a little care to prevent crush.But still makes clean cut with no crush if used correctly. For the thin wall PVC, I only apply sufficient pressure to score the pipe as I slowly rotate. Once scored around the diameter, I apply a little more pressure & rotate. Job done. " If you've been a cheapskate and bought 8.5 pipe it may crush a bit on 1" pipe."

Sorry if I've offended you. ?

8 minutes ago, malt25 said:

It was sarcasm. The comment referred to you stating the tool is useless.The tool isn't useless at all. More like the operator is useless. Like one of the TV members has as his signature,  "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you"  

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sarcasm  Definition of sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I guess every plumber & most DIY handymen across the globe have been using this tool for decades. I've cut literally hundreds of PVC pipes very successfully with it. All blue water PVC pipe is a breeze. Some thin wall electrical conduit, grey & white, needs a little care to prevent crush.But still makes clean cut with no crush if used correctly. For the thin wall PVC, I only apply sufficient pressure to score the pipe as I slowly rotate. Once scored around the diameter, I apply a little more pressure & rotate. Job done. " If you've been a cheapskate and bought 8.5 pipe it may crush a bit on 1" pipe."

Sorry if I've offended you. ?

Who? Me or him?