Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

Two things about the forum members you may not realize...1)  the group is far older than you might think.  2)  There are many "hangers on," which means they once spent some time here, but arent even in the country, anymore, but just cant let go, and have to try and be in the foray.

Knowing these things will really help you sift  through the vast amount of info here.  Would you ask an 80 year old where to go for happy hour?  Would you ask someone, who hasn't lived here in 10 years (an eternity in fast moving Asia).  But, still, these same folks may have some great insight into the iner-workings of things.

• Like 2

I think this survey is accurate. If only thai ladies would understand exchange rates. I gave mine a £10 note to change. I divide my year in UK and TH since last year, But many men have no where to go home to and are living the "cheap charlie life" I see it everyday.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

Two things about the forum members you may not realize...1)  the group is far older than you might think.  2)  There are many "hangers on," which means they once spent some time here, but arent even in the country, anymore, but just cant let go, and have to try and be in the foray.

Knowing these things will really help you sift  through the vast amount of info here.  Would you ask an 80 year old where to go for happy hour?  Would you ask someone, who hasn't lived here in 10 years (an eternity in fast moving Asia).  But, still, these same folks may have some great insight into the iner-workings of things.

Yes. But these out of touch non locals are the ones that repost old posts which were either never correct or are out of date. Fake info is all the trend at TV. 

13 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The official Thailand, its bureaucracy and the crazy maze of rules and regulations, combined with the fact, that aliens are treated as second-class people from arrival to departure - go figure!

No need to kiss the Westerners bottom but treating them like your own people would be a step in the right direction. Compare day-to-day things like buying a car on finance, opening a bank account, get an internet hook-up, a credit card or a driving license. Everything is at least very complicated and combined with entire forest of paper pulp turned into photocopy paper nobody reads or flat-out impossible ......... because we are Westerners.

I personall believe, this entire rant about making a Westerners live difficult is nothing more than an inferiority complex combined with jealousy and greed. 

And yes, Westerners speak what they think and vote with their feet. Instead of all those „rich“ well-spending Westerners the Kingdom will be graced with stingy, polluting, impolite and uneducated Chinese with lots of money - serves them right. 

I - for one - moved away for these very reasons; I now understand the word Apartheit which here tends to tilt towards Farang. 

... LOL !  So now it’s just ‘keeping up apperences’ by visiting Thai Visa to spout the bitterness, self-suffering, which is plain to see, and it’s exacly the point that maybe, just maybe this survey was assist by Thai Visa member such as yourself who don’t even live here anymore. 

See this Thai Visa survey as what it is, ‘respectable’, yeah right ! 

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

Yes. But these out of touch non locals are the ones that repost old posts which were either never correct or are out of date. Fake info is all the trend at TV. 

some have an agenda, that is for sure.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

I guess you're not American, as Medicare and Plan F cover everything at age 65+. My total premium is under $200 and there are no copays or deductibles and I can go to the very best docs and hospitals. Much as I like Chiang Mai, I might be better off staying in the very safe and easy life of Boise (not as boondock as it sounds--one hour's flight to Seattle, and lively progressive community thanks to a large university.)

This issue is more about pre existing conditions and not being able to get insurance.

So what will Thailand do with these people. ?  cash in the bank ?

or else,  get out Falang ?

Edited by stanleycoin

4 hours ago, kannot said:

Too true, the number of  Western renters has dropped dramatically and as you said the Chinese, well in many cases filthy pigs, some Thais are ok  but many have similar low standards regarding keeping a room clean and undamaged.

Africans, Indians, and Koreans must be looking better by the day.

2 minutes ago, mindfulness said:

... LOL !  So now it’s just ‘keeping up apperences’ by visiting Thai Visa to spout the bitterness, self-suffering, which is plain to see, and it’s exacly the point that maybe, just maybe this survey was assist by Thai Visa member such as yourself who don’t even live here anymore. 

See this Thai Visa survey as what it is, ‘respectable’, yeah right ! 

I live across the river and shuttle into Thailand to keep my business running - if you don’t mind. As a PR I am entitled to this yet does not mean, that I have to leave my brain at the immigration check-point, right? 

The Thai government has finally done something right. With their unfathomable maze of confusing visa requirements and restrictive work permits they have been working diligently at discouraging foreigners from living here, and it seems that they have been very successful.

It seems to me that retirees are a 'Golden Goose' source of foreign currency for Thailand. Every baht of the incoming pensions gets spent in Thailand and the country doesn't even need to lift a finger to get it, unlike from tourism or exports.

Logically, the Thai government should scrap the 800,000 baht p.a. requirement for a Retirement Visa and embark on a pro-active campaign to encourage foreigners to retire here, with the conditions that their pensions are paid directly into a Thai bank account by their social security departments, and that they take out mandatory health cover. Thailand could quickly double or triple the expat numbers. This is a win-win proposal with no downside that I can see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i think myself that most expats on low income,myself being one,will normally play by the rules rather than default and find themselves hiding under the radar. i myself support my Thai wife and live more comfortable than i would in uk. As for insurance for health,unfortunatly that is unobtainable for us as to purchase,would cost a whole monthes pension every month.. assuming we are indeed accepted for cover.

21 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

Chinese also are the owners of the vast number of new condos here and want over priced rents and inflated sale prices.

The Chinese I have met who are living here in CM have been decent people.  Most are trying to give their kids a more well rounded life.  They are also trying to get their money out of China.  Most realize there is an economic reckoning coming and the doors allowing movement of money out of China for the avg Joe (unless business and investment) are closing as we speak.  Condos are the easiest way to put money into something tangible and prove to the Chinese (and Thai) government it is investment.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I must disagree.

I suspect the expats who are "broke" are probably living "under the radar" (overstayers etc) or not wanting to admit they are broke and would be the last people to respond to such a survey in either case.

Maybe.  But since we're now going to substitute anecdotes for data, I've encountered quite a few farangs in Chaing Mai who wear their poverty as a badge of honor.  I don't see why people who brag about living on $500 per month would be reluctant to say so in an survey.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

The facts you state would be enough to put off most successful people. For example in Europe you can work in any 28 countries so if you like snow to the hot beach it's all there, you can own your own business not have to have strangers having shares, stay forever and even become a citizen no stress of Visa Runs, Applications etc Thailand is 50 years behind and with Asean will eventually have to open up. Yes and then if you say something debatable about a company have the threat of jail under the Computer Crimes Act like Alan at PhuketWan went through. Then you might get wacked if you upset the wrong people...................I am done with Thailand.........

Guess you never ran a business for example in good old Germany...

A post which was a verbatim quote from Wikipedia has been removed from this thread.

Members are encouraged to post their own opinions for discussion purposes, not plagiarize other web-based publications. 

@Spidermike007

A refreshingly thoughtful post, but it's substantially inconsistent with the facts, at least as presented on wikipedia.

Tourists from all destinations have been steadily increasing over the last 12 years (including the US and the UK), despite the coup dips. Chinese tourism is an exception of course - its increase has been massive.

Tourism as a %age of GDP has also steadily increased.

I share your interest in wine, and I rarely fork out for an overpriced decent bottle here, but I usually used to limit myself to cheap plonk anyway.

On a brighter note: my favourite single malts are priced here in the same ball park as in Scotland.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1

Many factors at work here such as the aging dying baby boomers .  Millenials and gen Xers have other places to go.   Cambodia and Viet Nam attracting more visitors.

Thailands numbers are up well thanks to the chinese , who by their pack traveling style , often offend westerners not used to them. I lived in Shenzhen and have no issues with any chinese .  Theyre also learning about western habits . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mduras01 said:

I've experienced far more xenophobia and division back home in the US. I never quite caught the whole xenophobia thing here--or at least not to the extent described on TV. Maybe I'm just too dumb to see it in front of me, but I've been treated really well in my 5 years here. Yes, I've been given the finger here once, but the guy was disabled and clearly had issues - which was a lot better than the gunpoint holdup at my home in the US. I've had minor issues here, sure, but nothing like the overt hatred back home. I just think Thailand is doing what any country would do - attracting those who will spend and add value. Side note: If they opened up foreign land ownership, prices would sky rocket by multiples. Foreign demand and speculative individual investors would simply kill the dream of any hard working thai to own land in their own country.

As has been done in Australia with the Chinese