Bualang I-Banking want to know my location!

When logging into my Bangkok Bank I-Banking online account for the first time in nearly month just now, I was presented for the first time ever with a pop-up message from their URL (ibanking.bangkokbank.com) informing me that it wanted to know my location. In my haste I clicked OK, but why on earth would Bualang I-Bangking want to know my location? And might I have now exposed myself to potential security risks as a result of my hastiness?

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

I got the same message recently.

It is one of to permissions for the app when you install it.

image.png.673a74f7cb3cf9cb091fbbfe82f59145.png

Maybe they they log your location incase you reported an unauthorized use of it.

I am not concerned about it.

• Like 1

Lots of websites ask for your location....usually you are given a choice to block or allow.  I usually click block and continue on to the website as normal.  Just google the subject to get more explanation...like below website which gives some explanation of what some website as for your location.

https://www.lifewire.com/denying-access-to-your-location-4027789

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if it is a security measure. 

My understanding is that security on internet banking is an ongoing nightmare and banks generally are very focused and active on this subject.

I recently spoke with 2 Thai banks about getting the OTP password by SMS when physically outside of Thailand. Both banks informed me when outside of LOS, even if you don't have roaming activated, the OTP password will get through, as long as you are using your normal Thailand SIM card.

One of the banks said that bank is getting nervous about the security on that process and may introduce further steps. 

Perhaps that's where checking location comes into the picture?

• Like 1

In many cases sites may use your location to "localize" ads and other settings (like language, date/time, currency) so that what you see is more relevant and easier to understand.It sucks in some cases though, like when Google decides to show dates using the Thai calendar instead of the "Western" calendar. Or when some sites (like travel or shopping sites) decide that I want all my prices in Thai baht instead of (usually US $ for comparison pricing).

However, Bangkok Bank doesn't use ads on their site (yet) but may possibly use your location to try and determine the number of customers in "your" area and see if it warrants opening a new branch in that area (or relocating an existing one that is under performing, etc, etc).
It could also be an effort to determine if targeted ads would be worth the effort by gauging the response to the number of people who "allow" their location to be "seen". Or not.

Not so sure on the security aspect though, as they know I'm in (this district) and if they see my ATM card used in Korat or Chiang Mai, I doubt they'd give it a thought. Same for if I log in from one of those places.
I've used my Bangkok Bank ATM card in other countries as well and never had a problem, even though I never told them I was going to do it. Saved my butt once in Dubai as my Visa card and my Canadian bank ATM card wouldn't work in the ATMs at the Dubai Airport.

Out of desperation I tried my Bangkok Bank ATM card, fully expecting it to be declined as well but it actually worked and I didn't have to spend the next 18 hours sleeping on the floor in the airport until my next flight ! (Note: haven't tried using the new "UnionPay" card outside of the country and I see that it doesn't have any of the usual ATM symbols (like Visa or Interac) on it so I could be screwed in the future.

Note: Visa blocked my credit card when I tried to use it at the Dubai airport, even though I had personally told them I would be in the UAE. They also blocked it when I tried to use it in Thailand despite having, again, personally told them that I would be using it there/here. They also blocked it the first 2 times I tried to use it when shopping on Lazada. Each time it was blocked I had to call them, sit on the line for 10+ minutes until finally getting a human, answer the security questions, explain what I had been trying to do and get them to (finally) "unblock" the card. It got to the point that I was sure they had a scam going with the telephone company to collect a percentage of the long distance/roaming fees every time someone called from overseas !

My Canadian ATM card wouldn't work either at the ATMs in the Dubai airport, despite having the proper symbols (i.e. the ATM and my card having the "Interac" symbol). Perhaps some banks/ATM systems don't play well with others (different rules and regulations maybe). It works when I use it in Thailand though.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the "location" thing, unless you click "allow" and an hour later an unmarked van parks across the street from your house and no one gets out of it (or goes into it) for days at a time.
(It's probably just Immigration watching to see if you miss your 90 Day report window.) :w00t:

• Like 2

It is so you can use the ATM/Branch search feature and see where the nearest is.

And they're out to get you ?

EDIT: You can change the setting in your web browser and block location access if this was on your computer. It just has the browser ask to use location settings, if you say no, it still works just fine. 

If Chrome, go to settings > Advanced > Content Settings > Location and see what you have set.

If this is the browser that asked, it will be set to "Ask before accessing" and you should see the Bualuang iBanking url listed under allow.

Just delete it and don't click allow next time it asks.

Edited by NomadRip
Added how to change.
  • Thanks 1

Side question this bkk bank app for online payments once u apply for it in thailand  but then ur have to travel abroad and usually then i change my sim card phone number into one from the new country will i still be able doing payments under that situation?

Many thanks for the various replies. Apologies if my original post was not sufficiently clear on this point, but this issue relates to accessing Bualang I-Banking via my laptop (as distinct from Bualang M-Banking via my mobile, which I have not signed up to).

Thanks to the link provided by @Pib in post #3, I have now succeeded in "disallowing" Bualang I-Banking access to my location in my Chrome browser settings - and will take especial care not to "reallow" it inadvertently when I next log into Bualang I-Banking!

EDIT: Thanks also to @NomadRip for the necessary info.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

My Canadian ATM card wouldn't work either at the ATMs in the Dubai airport, despite having the proper symbols (i.e. the ATM and my card having the "Interac" symbol). Perhaps some banks/ATM systems don't play well with others (different rules and regulations maybe). It works when I use it in Thailand though.

Impossible. Another exaggerated claim. Interac is a Canadian interbank network. It is not available on UAE ATMs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interac

Operating area: CANADA

My Australian banking app shows the closest ATM as 4,500 kilometres away in some remote town in western Australia, very convenient.Imagine trying to find that without location turned on.

• Haha 2

It is for security, a friend was recently charged for some on line gaming site which he does not use. BBL caught the culprit on the second attempt due to the location of the transaction and flagging it as suspicious as he could not be in two locations at the same time. They will also block transactions from locations you are unlikely to frequent such as Russia, Romania etc. Citibank computers etc analyse your location before approving your transaction when travelling abroad using location. For instance, fly to UK, hotel in London. Purchases in London, drive to Nottingham, purchases in Nottingham area. Drive to Kent, purchases in Kent. Drive to Heathrow, purchase in Duty Free, fly to Bangkok. If there are any purchases attempted using your card at a location that is impossible to match your travel pattern, they will block and contact you. 

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

I wonder if it is a security measure. 

My understanding is that security on internet banking is an ongoing nightmare and banks generally are very focused and active on this subject.

I recently spoke with 2 Thai banks about getting the OTP password by SMS when physically outside of Thailand. Both banks informed me when outside of LOS, even if you don't have roaming activated, the OTP password will get through, as long as you are using your normal Thailand SIM card.

One of the banks said that bank is getting nervous about the security on that process and may introduce further steps. 

Perhaps that's where checking location comes into the picture?

On 8/15/2018 at 9:36 AM, mvdf said:

Impossible. Another exaggerated claim. Interac is a Canadian interbank network. It is not available on UAE ATMs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interac

Operating area: CANADA

I should have used "e.g." instead of "i.e." as I meant that my card had matching symbols with what was displayed on the ATM at the airport. "Interac" was meant as an example, not an "exaggeration". 

My Canadian ATM card had the Maestro, Cirrus and Interac symbols on it. I could have said "Maestro" or "Cirrus" but the first one that popped in my head was "Interac". The point was, my card had the SAME symbols as was displayed on the ATM machines but it wouldn't work in them.

I, having done a lot of travelling in foreign countries and know that normally, if an ATM machine has the same symbols on it as appear on my card, then I should be OK to use it. In Dubai (for example) were some ATMs from Saudi banks and they did not have any symbols that matched my card so I didn't bother trying them (and that was long before this recent spat between Canada and Saudi Arabia). 
On another trip I found an HSBC ATM that had matching symbols. I'd already taken money out using my Thai ATM card and tried my Canadian one as a test and it worked. 

So it may have had something to do with individual banks that are on the same network. Perhaps some are blacklisted (by Canada for example) but are still a part of the same ATM network.