Pro-Junta Politicians Can Campaign Because They Are Not Politicians: Junta

webfact

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Weapons-grade hypocrisy.

There seems to be two very sad aspects to this;

• They believe that they aren't doing wrong
  • The Thai people tolerate it

I shudder and cry at the damage these people are doing to beloved Thailand.

Now ask yourself why Thai people tolerate it?

Try thinking about it without western values in mind.

And talking about damage, I do have the idea the Thaksin driven governments did much more damage to the country, money wise and democratically.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

deputy junta chairman Prawit Wongsuwan said the group, called the Three Friends, is not a registered political party and therefore not subject to the strictly enforced restrictions.

Prayut is not affiliated with a registered party.

Yet, he calls himself a "Politician" and not a "Soldier."

Has Prawit then created an excuse for Prayut to not be subjected to "strictly enforced restrictions?"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Now ask yourself why Thai people tolerate it?

Try thinking about it without western values in mind.

And talking about damage, I do have the idea the Thaksin driven governments did much more damage to the country, money wise and democratically.

How about instead of applying 'western values' we simply apply common sense? 

Who in their right mind would want to be subservient to anyone else? Especially being subservient to those who are corrupt and steal from them. No one - no one who's been taught that we're all just decomposing matter and it's the things that we do in life that we should be judged on. Not the meaningless words. 

• Like 1

More "Parties" are not the way forward.

A "Movement" is.

This opens that door :

"is not a registered political party and therefore not subject to the strictly enforced restrictions."

It's official.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

How about instead of applying 'western values' we simply apply common sense? 

Who in their right mind would want to be subservient to anyone else? Especially being subservient to those who are corrupt and steal from them. No one - no one who's been taught that we're all just decomposing matter and it's the things that we do in life that we should be judged on. Not the meaningless words. 

I know. I know.

But sometimes I think I have got it wrong looking angry thinking 'what is wrong with you all?'

'Why are you so happy. Don't you know about all these problem you have?'

Edited by greeneking
Spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Esso49 said:

There you have it and your own statement illustrates exactly why they get away with it.  Identify any Thai male with a gram of intelligence and you may have identified someone who could lead Thailand from the 18th century to the 21st.    Good luck with your search.

As they did in the USA?

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The staggering level of hypocrisy in that statement is breathtaking.

An insult to anyone with a gram of intelligence.

“For the powerful, crimes are those that others commit.”

Noam Chomsky, Imperial Ambitions

Perhaps the level of hypocrisy is staggering but also is nothing new from this group. But are the Thai people seeing through this charade?

• Like 2

So if other political parties have supporters that are not politicians running for office and have the same relationship to their party can gather and campaign for their friends without fear of repercussion? Be interesting to see if anyone is brave enough to try it, how the long arm of the junta responds, if the media covers it, and then how the Thai voters respond.

43 minutes ago, chama said:

Perhaps the level of hypocrisy is staggering but also is nothing new from this group. But are the Thai people seeing through this charade?

I think the Thais (in general) surely see through all this nonsense - but they just shrug their shoulders and say (I've heard it a thousand times): 'What can we do about it? They've got guns'.

And that is where the matter rests. It does not seem unduly to bother the Thais (most of the Thais - with some honourable exceptions). Not worth getting all hot and agitated over. It bothers people like me and you far more, I would hazard a guess. But then we come from a culture that went through the European Enlightenment and which cherishes the notions of freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, liberty, equality, fraternity, justice - and human rights.

The moral and political soil in which the Thais have been 'nurtured' is very, very different. Thaksin and his sister began to change things - but now, after 4+ years of basically utterly unchallenged junta control of their lives, the Thais have started to get inured/ reconciled to ongoing oppression. 

It's not a particularly big issue for most of them - that is clear to me (and to a number of others on these threads). It's certainly (in the Thais' eyes) not worth fighting for their freedom. "Let's put up with it and just get on with our lives. Nothing we can do." 

That seems (after more than 4 years) to be the Thais' attitude. It would not be mine - but it is clearly theirs.

Nothing I can do about it.

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2