Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

If I may go slightly off topic.

Yesterday I got one pension paid through KBank and the TT rate was 41.825.

The rate I got was 42.88.

Today I did my retirement extension and Immigration took the rate from Bangkok bank as 41. KBank was 41.54375.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

38 to the Pound represents an approximate 10% further lurch down from 42. One of the things that Thailand offers is the facility to downsize one's cost of living, so its doable for most. It is potential health costs rather than the exchange rate which is the biggest elephant in the room.

At 38 - £1 Thailand is already planning to tackle the overstay problem.

f26d8aca470f06111f996f8ece380ea1 (2).png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

no such thing like business, just a private household.

wow, do you have a whole village living in your house ?

Your total number of gadgets more or less equals the gadgets in our house and in one of our businesses combined, and the combined electricty bill is more or less the same as yours. So I'm not doubting your bill at all.

I'm amazed that anyone would need to turn on 17 a-cs in their house at the same time, but I'm not going to enquire further into your personal life! Have a good day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Today I did my retirement extension and Immigration took the rate from Bangkok bank as 41. KBank was 41.54375.

He must have used the buying rate which is 41.08.

The TT rate, which is the rate he should have used was 41.725 this morning, standing at 41.63 as I post.

Kasikorn is better at 42.4

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

wow, do you have a whole village living in your house ?

Your total number of gadgets more or less equals the gadgets in our house and in one of our businesses combined, and the combined electricty bill is more or less the same as yours. So I'm not doubting your bill at all.

I'm amazed that anyone would need to turn on 17 a-cs in their house at the same time, but I'm not going to enquire further into your personal life! Have a good day.

no such thing like whole village just two persons and two dogs in the main house and three persons in the staff house. that all aircons are turned on at the same time happens once or twice a year before an announced whole day power cut.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

He must have used the buying rate which is 41.08.

The TT rate, which is the rate he should have used was 41.725 this morning, standing at 41.63 as I post.

As I was still above the 65,000 baht threshold I didn't bother to quibble. If it gets too close then it may be worth "discussing" with the IO.

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:
8 hours ago, Naam said:

none of the above. our pool is heated by solar energy, our cars run on gasoline and diesel. the energy consuming gadgets are 17 aircons, washer, dryer, 3 freezers, 5 fridges, pool pump, solar pump pond pump, deep well pump, irrigation pump, home water supply pumps, outdoor/indoor lighting, 4 TVs, 3 PCs, a fistful of laptops with external monitors...

Just curious do all these things work at the same time? Or is run on demand as needed?

on demand as needed. half of the aircons are needed ~20 hours daily. i didn't settle in Thailand to sweat. did sweating enough for three life times in the Arabian desert, the African bush and Asian swamps.

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I support the idea that a Brexit deal will be agreed before year end and that Sterling will recover, Bloomberg this morning agrees:

‘Buy Sterling’

ECU Group Chief Executive Officer and Brexiteer Michael Petley says the U.K. currency is undervalued “by almost any single measure.” Any temporary decline in sterling between now and the U.K.’s exit will be compensated for by its appreciation in the long term, he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-20/asia-futures-mixed-dollar-falls-on-trump-remarks-markets-wrap

Bloomberg did not a agree.  a Bloomberg journalist quoted a "brexiteer" who has an agenda. :whistling:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Just curious do all these things work at the same time? Or is run on demand as needed?

Not many people know this but naam runs the Pattaya branch of Curry's UK, from his home.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, billd766 said:

As I was still above the 65,000 baht threshold I didn't bother to quibble. If it gets too close then it may be worth "discussing" with the IO.

You could go marriage extension a bit of a pain I know myself but imm ain't that far for me now.

14 minutes ago, Naam said:

once i visited a large detached house.

Strange comment naam, I also went on to say that both I and my partner work, not that either of us needs to, so we're not sitting around the house all day burning a-cs anyway. And my partner prefers not to use the a-c most of the time as I have already mentioned.

You may have impressed yourself with your domestic electricity bill, but a few others have reacted with amusement. From your comments on the forum, I can't see that your electricity bill has made you any happier than people who are paying 1,000. But hey maaaaan it's your choice. Just waiting for your signature coffee cup. Have a good evening.

17 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I think it’s fantastic people can survive here on 25k pm.

I spend about that on groceries and dog food per month, no fancy Falang products either...

Only me and the better half & 5 dogs.

I owe nothing on either of my vehicle or 3 bikes and nothing on the house.

Electric 6-7k a month / true 3k / internet 1k / maid 10k / fuel 10k

All in I’d say 120 - 150k a month, not much extravagance.

25k a month minus rent and bills truly amazes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I can see you are doing your bit to conserve the Earths resources.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You could go marriage extension a bit of a pain I know myself but imm ain't that far for me now.

That may have to happen next year depending on the results of Brexit.

Immigration is 65 km each way for me. A PITA but they are too lazy to come out to me.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:36 AM, ThaiPauly said:

People will just have to suck it up, especially if they have a wife, let alone children.

If they want to go back to their country of origin and take their wife then there are all the visa issues, if they are past retirement age they have to show 62,000 GBP in the bank in the UK for example, they have to show they have somewhere to live in the UK......impossible unless they are going to live with their children.

It just won't work.

So stay they must until things improve and the pound climbs which it won't until Brexit has been finalised one way or the other

They do not have to show 62k in the bank....nonsense.  They need an income 3k sterling more than here. That's all. Working or retired 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Naam said:

on demand as needed. half of the aircons are needed ~20 hours daily. i didn't settle in Thailand to sweat. did sweating enough for three life times in the Arabian desert, the African bush and Asian swamps.

I assume that you will not recieve TV's Global Environmental Awareness medals this year than!

green.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The manic said:

They do not have to show 62k in the bank....nonsense.  They need an income 3k sterling more than here. That's all. Working or retired 

If you want to bring your Thai Wife with you , then you will need to either show an income of around 18,500 a year for the last six months, more if you have children or 62k in the bank. FACT

I really don't know where you get your information from? Go over to the Visa section and have a look for yourself

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 3:50 PM, sanemax said:

Just been looking on London rental websites are there is nothing for under 1000 GBP (41 000 Baht) , anything less than that is out in Braintree and places like that .

Braintree is to London as Brainerd is to Minneapolis. 

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

That may have to happen next year depending on the results of Brexit.

Immigration is 65 km each way for me. A PITA but they are too lazy to come out to me.

Yes I have been fortunate of late a new Sukhothai immigration was set up in main town and saved 2 days journey to Masot.

Once with the Mrs and a rain forest full of duplicate paper photocopy's.

Second time to get passport stamped.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

strange comment naam

not strange but in context with your comment "large detached house" without any indication "how large" or your definition of "large".  the same applies to nonsensical comments of many posters such as "running x aircons" without defining unit capacity, thermostat setting, run time in hours, area to cool, month of the year, location in Thailand.

15 hours ago, Naam said:

Sitting in my living room now, window open, breeze blowing, no sweating.

Bedroom at night air-con set to 28c no sweating.

Electricity bill 1,500bht in the hottest months, usually down to 1,200bht in the winter.

Waaaaay cheaper than paying for my heating bills in the UK winter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

You may have impressed yourself with your domestic electricity bill

my electricity bills never impress me and nor does any other bill impress me. but your comment gives me quite an insight pertaining to your way of thinking.   :giggle: