Phone being charged explodes in the middle of the night

webfact

Phone being charged explodes in the middle of the night

7PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Facebook user issued a warning after being woken in the middle of the night with a bang.

His phone that he was charging at the foot of the bed had exploded in flames.

He managed to put out the fire with a pillow and bedclothes though he burned his hand in the process.

He warned people not to charge phones near you at night.

Posters suggested that he was perhaps using a non standard charger or that his battery or even the phone itself was a fake.

Samsung could be seen on a battery next to the charred remains of the phone.

Thai Rath reported on the story saying it might have been a lucky break that the phone was near the victim and not elsewhere in the house where a fire might have taken hold.

The story appeared on the Facebook page of "Narawit Phanom-Sarnarin" who said they were feeling scared.

Sources: Thai Rath, Facebook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-12

Considering the similar problems encountered by the genuine Samsung Note-7 why does the assumption that it must be a knock off seem to prevail? 

As airlines have discovered, any phone with a L-ion battery, genuine or otherwise, has the potential, though very rare to burst into flame.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

Batteries everywhere, chargers everywhere.

While I do expect originals to be better quality than knock offs, that is far from always the case, and these things are bound to happen more and more, original or knock off.

49 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

Keep installing those cheap Chinese batteries in those fake name brand phones and watch the fireworks.

Yup. Know nothings keep carping away at "cheap Chinese" phones, meanwhile the phone with the worst record for spontaneous combustion remains the Korean $900 Samsung Galaxy Note-7 .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dddave said:

Yup. Know nothings keep carping away at "cheap Chinese" phones, meanwhile the phone with the worst record for spontaneous combustion remains the Korean $900 Samsung Galaxy Note-7 .

So from your comment I would assume that your own cheap a Chinese phone which has had no problems.  Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell me what it is please so I can but some as play things for village children as the really nice Samsung/iphones are a bit expensive for toys.

24 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

So from your comment I would assume that your own cheap a Chinese phone which has had no problems.  Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell me what it is please so I can but some as play things for village children as the really nice Samsung/iphones are a bit expensive for toys.

Oppo, Huawei and Xiaomi are fairly cheap and of excellent quality. Used them all for years with zero problems, unlike many products from manufacturers of "higher status", such as Samsung, Apple and others.

• Sad 1

Asked for a charger in Tukcom once. Was offered genuine of fake. Choose the genuine one. Later I discovered that it actually said SAMSNUG in small print on it. 

Most fakes actually have the correct spelling so how would one even know? Anyway, anything with Li-Ion is more or less dangerous.

13 hours ago, Esso49 said:

More than happy to comply with your request.   

I have had various models of Xiaomi (Chinese) phones over the last five years; inexpensive, but not cheap as in tawdry. 

None have self-immolated  and all have served me well,

Phones as enticements to village children?  How contemporary of you.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 10:38 PM, Esso49 said:

Including that charger to right in the picture

In my experience all the chargers sold in Thailand are dangerous fakes.

I especially love the ones that have this convincing message printed on them:

"Made by Apple company in California of America "

You can usually still read it even after it is charred and twisted out of shape after self-destruction.

After doing some research I decided that many of the fakes are.also sold on eBay and Amazon.

Now I buy only Anker brand chargers and power banks. I have been very pleased with them on all counts.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:14 AM, dddave said:

More than happy to comply with your request.   

I have had various models of Xiaomi (Chinese) phones over the last five years; inexpensive, but not cheap as in tawdry. 

None have self-immolated  and all have served me well,

Phones as enticements to village children?  How contemporary of you.

"Self-immolated" that's a bit posh Dave! :laugh::laugh:

And p'raps Mr Esso meant Village People, not children.

Y'know, YMCA & all that.

:laugh::laugh:

On 9/12/2018 at 8:42 AM, wump said:

Asked for a charger in Tukcom once. Was offered genuine of fake. Choose the genuine one. Later I discovered that it actually said SAMSNUG in small print on it. 

Most fakes actually have the correct spelling so how would one even know? Anyway, anything with Li-Ion is more or less dangerous.

You can't know. They copy the safety agency text and logo, the shape of the molding, and other fine details. Look on Amazon. Many of the chargers sold as Samsung are total fakes.

Buy direct from Anker company. They makes a large variety of fast chargers and power banks of very high quality but only moderately more expensive than knockoffs. Certainly cheaper than a house fire, hospital, or funeral.

As an electronic design engineer with experience with several lithium chemistries I want to add that many products today use a liquid lithium polymer to make custom battery (actually a cell) of in a variety shapes and sizes. These are prone to fire or explosion if punctured and exposed to air, heated, or mechanically abused.

Lithium Iron Phosphate cells are extremely robust albeit more expensive and not amenable to custom shapes. They are usually built in a 'jelly roll construction resulting in the familiar cylindrical form. If you consult the web you will find videos showing these being crushed in a press, and having nails driven through them with absolutely no effect, except of course on performance. I would warn against trying this with ANY other lithium chemistry. One exception is the small lithium Manganese Dioxide button cells seen in calculator and some watches. With the common 2016/2032 coin cells, lithium thionyl chloride chemistry, danger is  minimal because of their small size.

I'm not arguing with you. Just expanding on your post.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 12:58 PM, stevenl said:

Batteries everywhere, chargers everywhere.

While I do expect originals to be better quality than knock offs, that is far from always the case, and these things are bound to happen more and more, original or knock off.

And why are they bound to happen more and more, I would suspect, especially from the major players, and after recent battery/charger, problems these players would be much more stringent on quality and testing.