Accuser of U.S. high-court nominee Kavanaugh goes public

webfact

4 hours ago, rosst said:

There are no perfect people and imperfect people are people who have learned. 

Appealing to the Puritans of America for political gain is worse than what he is accused of. 

How would you know he (or others) "have learned"? So far the comments revolve around denial, rather than acceptance  and learning.

Further, I think that even "he's learned his lesson" applies up to a point - not as a blanket argument/excuse/justification.

It is true that there are no perfect people. But judges (and Supreme Court judges) are held to higher standards than most.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parts of her story are already holding up. There is strong documentation that he was often extremely drunk in those days. So his "recollection" of what happened being extremely drunk is almost worthless. His claims of not being there are clever. It was long ago. He's adding doubt. But this is not a court of law. He would not be convicted in a court of law for this, but that isn't the standard for getting a lifetime SCOTUS appointment. It's also rather evident that he has lied under oath numerous times, probably more to come. Reject him! 

The other young man in the room -- Mark Judge.

Also a drunk back then.

Also denied it happened.

What a piece of work he is.

His high school yearbook quote --

"Certain women should be struck regularly, like gongs."

https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-high-school-friend-christine-ford-2018-9

The plot thickens. It appears like there IS a there there.

I suspect there will be a lot more coming out the woodwork shortly... 

What will be of interest would be the recollections of those who knew him back then, questions must be did frequently get drunk at age 18 where it is illegal for under 21's to drink? did he try to force himself on other women? 

11 hours ago, Silurian said:

In response to the 65 (now down to just 2?) women that supported Kavanaugh, a letter from over 200 women support Dr. Ford's claim!

Christine Blasey Ford’s Classmates Claim Her Story is ‘Consistent With Stories’ They’ve Heard

Georgetown Prep and the other private elite schools in the area appear to be ultra exclusive institutions for Washington's political class. Where everyone already has money, social connections become the currency of choice. Once a member, there has to be a fear of being ostracised if you fail to support others in these circles.

There may well have been political and social pressure to support Kavanaugh because "he's one of us" and his ascendency to the Supreme Court was seen as advancing their own social stature as well. Character references from a tightly interlocked community where mutual back scratching is rife need to be examined closely and taken with a grain of salt.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

<snip>

Certain women should be struck regularly, like gongs."

https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-high-school-friend-christine-ford-2018-9

To certain sections of Trump’s base, this kind of attitude may well be considered a feature rather than a bug. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Parts of her story are already holding up. There is strong documentation that he was often extremely drunk in those days. So his "recollection" of what happened being extremely drunk is almost worthless. His claims of not being there are clever. It was long ago. He's adding doubt. But this is not a court of law. He would not be convicted in a court of law for this, but that isn't the standard for getting a lifetime SCOTUS appointment. It's also rather evident that he has lied under oath numerous times, probably more to come. Reject him! 

Yea more political bias. She doesn't even know the house, party or how many people were there. He was 17 and this is political BS by an admitted Dem. Why not report it?  why wait?  total nonsense and the American people will never, ever believe this is not petty politics.

29 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Yea more political bias. She doesn't even know the house, party or how many people were there. He was 17 and this is political BS by an admitted Dem. Why not report it?  why wait?  total nonsense and the American people will never, ever believe this is not petty politics.

Constantly referring to “he was (just) 17” is tantamount to pushing the argument that “as we can clearly see, the man is not currently raping anyone and hasn’t done so for decades, so what's the problem?"

In this context, it might be interesting to see a ven diagram of people who say “Kavanaugh at 17? Please, just a confused little boy” and people who said “Trayvon Martin was a thug who got what he deserved”

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The other young man in the room -- Mark Judge.

Also a drunk back then.

Also denied it happened.

What a piece of work he is.

The plot thickens. It appears like there IS a there there.

Surely, just another case of "locker room" talk? Problem solved.

:coffee1:

1 hour ago, Thakkar said:

Constantly referring to “he was (just) 17” is tantamount to pushing the argument that “as we can clearly see, the man is not currently raping anyone and hasn’t done so for decades, so what's the problem?"

In this context, it might be interesting to see a ven diagram of people who say “Kavanaugh at 17? Please, just a confused little boy” and people who said “Trayvon Martin was a thug who got what he deserved”

There's a Beatles pun to be made there, somewhere.

Sex crimes expert pipes in.

Kavanaugh should be worried.

A former sex-crimes prosecutor analyzed Ford’s allegations against Kavanaugh. Here’s her take.

“To me, it’s compelling that [Ford] puts someone else there, and that the person who happens to be in the room has a blackout drinking problem," said Fairstein.

“Ford mentioned details — like the pool party, the narrow staircase, that the house was in Montgomery County. There are enough facts for someone to remember it was their party and their house,” said Fairstein.

Wigdor echoed Fairstein, saying: “She put a third person in the room. If you were making something up, why would you do that?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/18/former-sex-crimes-prosecutor-analyzed-fords-allegations-against-kavanaugh-heres-her-take/?utm_term=.2f168eca8470

8 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Attempted rape, that's bad enough... 

Yes, and he's denied it and says he wasn't even there.

If on testifying there is good evidence that he is now LYING about that now, that's more than enough to deny him the epic privilege of being a SCOTUS justice. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, and he's denied it and says he wasn't even there.

If on testifying there is good evidence that he is now LYING about that now, that's more than enough to deny him the epic privilege of being a SCOTUS justice. 

If she can not remember where it was how does he know he was not there???

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

If she can not remember where it was how does he know he was not there???

All such objections covered here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/18/former-sex-crimes-prosecutor-analyzed-fords-allegations-against-kavanaugh-heres-her-take/

The thing is this isn't about conviction level certainty. He's not being tried. He might be denied a privilege. He has no civil right to that privilege.

On 9/17/2018 at 2:12 AM, DoctorG said:

I have no idea if the accusation is true or not but the timing of the "revelation" is highly suspicious.

Almost as suspicious as the timing of the release of thousands of pages of documents about Kavanaugh to the committee mere hours before the confirmation hearings got under way.

14 hours ago, Thakkar said:

Now she won't testify, answer emails. 'Too busy with her family last few days'. Poor thing.  Doesn't report it, doesn't know where it happened, doesn't know who else at the party and won't testify.  REALLY credible.

Now she won't testify, answer emails. 'Too busy with her family last few days'. Poor thing.  Doesn't report it, doesn't know where it happened, doesn't know who else at the party and won't testify.  REALLY credible.
Her lawyers have now replied to the Senate Judiciary committee. Once a proper investigation has been held, she will testify. Completely reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Her lawyers have now replied to the Senate Judiciary committee. Once a proper investigation has been held, she will testify. Completely reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Deflect tactic and you know it. He's been FBI'ed 6 times, answered 1000s questions and this was known about by Feinstein since July and "held in reserve'. This is gutter politics.

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

It's not "if that were true"  you know it's true. Feinstein knew about it and sat for 100s of hours and said ZILCH because she wanted to throw that hand grenade in when it would have the most impact.

The only witness says 'no', the women says 'I don't remember the house, how I go there, how I left there or who was there'. Hope he sues her for defamation.  Dirty tricks is all it is and decent people will look at it, no matter what political affiliation, and puke.  Attack him on the issues... you know those little things that are about  SCOTUS.

The only witness says no, but refuses to testify under oath!

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

The only witness says no, but refuses to testify under oath!

As does she!  He just wants anonymity unlike the poor 'victim'. Personally I hate bringing up the past if you did not have the courage to raise it at the time. It's politics and you know it. Either side should not be allowed to do this. 

She was a sophmore and he a senior at the time of the alleged incident. That's a significant age and maturity gap there. I don't think what's being alleged can be dismissed as coming of age shenanigans. Even taking heavy inebriation into account, it still sounds pretty predatory to my ear.

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

So...abandoning the “he was (just) 17” argumant are we?

There has to be an investigation before there can be any meaningful testimony. Kavanaugh’s FBI background checks file was closed once he was nominated. Only The WH can order the reopening of that FBI investigation, and they have yet to do so.

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

As does she!  He just wants anonymity unlike the poor 'victim'. Personally I hate bringing up the past if you did not have the courage to raise it at the time. It's politics and you know it. Either side should not be allowed to do this. 

Not true.  She has agreed to testify once an investigation has been carried out.  If it's just her word against the judge's, it will be purely partisan; if witnesses and other evidence has been discovered from an investigation and is presented, it will be easier for Senators (and public opinion) to reach a reasonable conclusion.  Seems the Republicans are keen to rush to judgment - I wonder why?

imagine if we lived to 300  years old and some accusation with zero evidence comes out of the blue from 250  years ago. 

omg he almost felt me up in I think it was before or after the civil war or yeah I think it was at Gettysburg, no maybe on the banks of the Potomac. who remember these pointless details anyway it was centuries ago. 

I've been groped sort of. I had only one beer this I remember clearly. strong homebreww those good ole days

I told my husband and the.rapist about it during ww2 , it really didn't heal my pain.

We must investigate no matter if it takes another 40 years. what's an other 40 years when this obvious Anglo Saxon slave owner rapist might live as long as RbG  (420 yrs strong) postpone the vote till this investigation is complete I say. Our democracy dies in the darkness(WaPo motto)

anybody here see Gone Girl? 

7 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

imagine if we lived to 300  years old and some accusation with zero evidence comes out of the blue from 250  years ago. 

omg he almost felt me up in I think it was before or after the civil war or yeah I think it was at Gettysburg, no maybe on the banks of the Potomac. who remember these pointless details anyway it was centuries ago. 

I've been groped sort of. I had only one beer this I remember clearly. strong homebreww those good ole days

I told my husband and the.rapist about it during ww2 , it really didn't heal my pain.

We must investigate no matter if it takes another 40 years. what's an other 40 years when this obvious Anglo Saxon slave owner rapist might live as long as Rgb (420 yrs strong) postpone the vote till this investigation is complete I say. Our democracy dies in the darkness(WaPo motto)

anybody here see Gone Girl? 

I have. And I think your fictional rant is far more fantastic (though far less entertaing) than that Gone Girl fiction.

Archived