Alcohol sales stop at 13.50

petedk

17 hours ago, Percy P said:

Well why is there this period of time 2 till 5 you can not buy alcohol

Why do you think?

17 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

When they made this law, a few years ago, i think the official reason behind it was to avoid the students to get drunk after going out of school.

Correct as far as I'm aware.      Seems to me there's a far bigger problem needing more attention than just  restricting  hours of  alcohol sales.

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Correct as far as I'm aware.      Seems to me there's a far bigger problem needing more attention than just  restricting  hours of  alcohol sales.

Well, i am totally against excessive use/abuse of alcohol, so it's not a problem for me.

This law seems a bit strange, nonetheless, it doesn't address the real problem, which is alcoholism and drink-driving especially, because the alcoholics have already their stocks, and a tourist on holiday can have a reason to complain.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:00 AM, sanemax said:

Its just a shop rule , to stop people picking up alcohol just before 2 PM and not getting to the check-out on time .

They probably laughed at you, because you were making a spectacle of yourself and complaining .

I quite often see foreigners who complain about rules and who feel that they should be exempt from rules and deserve special treatment because they are buying something .

Why not just go back at 5 PM ?

Yep. First, never complain. Allow for staff "personalities". Joke about  ทันไหม ? (Will I make it?) if you are near 14.00,  and look thirsty. Their problem is random checks of receipts, catching a  shop selling alcohol outside hours, so they play it safe. Speak Thai, smile, act a little confused and they'll help. 
Act the White Man and they'll stick exactly to the rules, and then some. HTH

I bought a can of beer from 7-11 at 17.00 by my watch which was correct. The cashier said 'Sorry cannot. After 17.00.' We stood looking at each other for two minutes until his watch/clock  showed 17.00 and with a smile from him and a kop khun krub from me he checked it out. Nothing to do with him, but with the law. As someone said, Samuel Johnson I believe, "The law is an ass." In this instance I have to agree. It does not address the real problem. But then this is Thailand. I like it. Warts and all.????

19 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

When they made this law, a few years ago, i think the official reason behind it was to avoid the students to get drunk after going out of school.

I believe you are correct, but why don't they just ban sales to under 18s or 21s? I know several places that sell alcohol 24 hrs, so I am pretty sure the locals do too.

6 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I believe you are correct, but why don't they just ban sales to under 18s or 21s? I know several places that sell alcohol 24 hrs, so I am pretty sure the locals do too.

If i was 16 and need a beer, i would send a 21 y.o. to get it for me.

Hardly a deterrent.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Let us re-iterate.

Customer wanted to buy alcohol at 13:45.Well within the parameter of the laws.

Trip to cashier..30 seconds.

It's called the law-not an unusually heavy dose of Stockholm Syndrome.

Got it?

Absolutely agree with you,

I just don't get it how people on here can stand up and agree with the shop assistants for them blocking the alcohol aisle at just after 13.45pm, it is completely bizarre!

So, OK next time they are short staffed or any other feeble excuse, let them close it at 13.30pm or why not 13.15pm and so on and so on? The law, silly as it is, states before 2 pm.

The other argument they put up about not making a fuss and buying from wholesalers outside, (I actually think they mean Mom and Pop stores, not wholesalers, which are such as MAKRO) doesn't help their argument, it just enforces how silly the law is. The Junta comes up with these silly ill thought ideas, only to ' not enforce them '  within weeks afterward.

OK, They have stopped big companies such as Tesco and Big C from selling, but they cannot stop the thousands of local stores.

Enforcing this law is like trying to empty a bath with a sieve!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:01 AM, CharlieH said:

Permitting the sale (or not) should be done at the point of sale that is "the checkout" not in the dept or aisle.(IMHO) unless its actually passed the alotted time and then as an advisory.

In our ares they dont "rope it off" they have permanent signs displayed only.

The " gone to lunch" or " in a meeting" is s standard reply in most places unfortunately, in my experience.

It's a management problem. The staff get paid despite the loss of some late sales, so they don't care. It's a good time to have an excuse to slack off. If it was their own shop and investment, they'd be selling it a few minutes after 14:00 and smiling.

You could complain to management, but if management accepts that kind of behaviour, nothing will be done.

In Pattaya, there are some supermarkets (3 that come to mind) that have the unfriendliest, surliest, moody staff that you can ever imagine. It's not seasonal, but year in year out, for many years. It must be a reflection of the management's attitude.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Yes since a passenger was enumerated (drunk) out of control causing a nuisance .

I think you mean inebriated. However, so you are saying they stopped serving alcohol to thousands of daily commuters because of an isolated incident?

• Like 1

Not their rules, of course, but this example is annoying.  Seems once they take a position, even if it's a bit stupid, they dig in and double down. 

Too bad you couldn't have gotten the wine and everything else you needed. Pile it all on the counter and when they say "Can not" to the wine at 1358 hrs, agree, give them a lovely Thai smile, then walk out leaving everything on the counter.  Your name will be mud there for eternity though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I think you mean inebriated. However, so you are saying they stopped serving alcohol to thousands of daily commuters because of an isolated incident?

True ...One of their own staff was  drunk or on drugs or a mixture of the 2 he raped an killed a young girl chucked body off the train just down from my house in PKK

So reason this utter lowlife employed by SRT was drunk no more beer ..there you have it  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Not their rules, of course, but this example is annoying.  Seems once they take a position, even if it's a bit stupid, they dig in and double down. 

Once i went into 7/11, on a Buddhist holiday, to buy some soda water..

... Cannot sell, Buddha day.

- But it's soda, no alcohol .

...Cannot sell, Buddha day.

-It's soda, no alcohol.

..Cannot sell, Buddha day.

- ok :blink:

• Like 2

I got a better one: I was trying to buy ALCOHOL FREE BEER at Tops Daily.

It was 3 pm, but since the sale of ALCOHOL is prohibited and I wanted to buy NO ALCOHOL, I didn't think much of it!

First the register wouldn't open.

Second the cashier told me "Can not sell alcohol before 5"

Third, I said "That is great! Since this is alcohol -free,we don't have a problem!"

Fourth he called his superior and she looked at the can and triumphantly held it towards me, pointing at the "0,00%" sign!

Fifth, I told her, that this means, that there is NO ALCOHOL in the beverage! That is what 0,00% indicates!

Sixth...sorry sir, can not sell!

And before I get answers like "Why would you even buy alcohol free beer?"(None of your business!) or tell me, that the selling of BEER is prohibited (no, it's not! The sale of alcohol is prohibited...otherwise, I would please like to see a list of all the specific kinds of alcohol, that are not to be sold and buy the one, not on the list...)

Here is what happened: one clever chap saw the word "beer" on the can, shut down his/her 5 active brain cells, registered the stuff under "not to be sold between 2 and 5 pm)...and here we go! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Once i went into 7/11, on a Buddhist holiday, to buy some soda water..

... Cannot sell, Buddha day.

- But it's soda, no alcohol .

...Cannot sell, Buddha day.

-It's soda, no alcohol.

..Cannot sell, Buddha day.

- ok :blink:

LOL, yeah some are just dumb as a door knob, we had one girl not allowing us to buy a red bull so my fiance told her off and she sold it and made some remark how she thought it was alcohol bla bla. 

22 hours ago, BestB said:

Not once have I been asked for license from a wholesale place or refused  a sale between the non sale times

So you have shopped at say Macro for instance and they have let you buy alcohol at anytime even though their cash registers are set up to work during specific times without a licence

22 hours ago, BestB said:

Not once have I been asked for license from a wholesale place or refused  a sale between the non sale times

Ooooooh...we are so happy for you!

You must be one of the good ones and because $4!t never happens to you, clearly it never does to anybody else!

:coffee1:

16 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

So you have shopped at say Macro for instance and they have let you buy alcohol at anytime even though their cash registers are set up to work during specific times without a licence

Wholesale places , try to read and keep up. Makro does not sell during non sell hours irrespective if you have license or not.