Bill Cosby, in cuffs, imprisoned for up to 10 years for sexual assault

webfact

10 hours ago, Thakkar said:

Nice parody account you got there, imitating an 18th century patriarchal blowhard character from a Jane Austin novel who Austin edited out for being too absurd.

I'm thinking you and Chomper don't have much contact with sexually active women.  If you did, you'd probably know a bit more about the way they behave and lose a bit of the 'white knight'.

And before you accuse me of anything, I only interact with bar girls, no disputing consent when you've paid a bar fine.

Bill Crosby has got a bum deal.  10 years with no evidence is an abomination.

1 hour ago, Thakkar said:

Men in long term loving relationships with strong, independent women ...........

Funny how 'long-term loving relationships', usually involve not much sex, usually less than once a month, sometimes only on Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Funny how 'long-term loving relationships', usually involve not much sex, usually less than once a month, sometimes only on Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries.

Again, assuming you speak from some kind of personal experience, you have my sympathies. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

Long ago when i was in my 20s groping girls etc was the norm , i am dreading the knock on the door from the fuzz about a few i groped back then .
But then i doubt it will happen i am not famous,so not worth the hastle for the ladies

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The probability of getting busted for something done in an alcoholic haze increases in proportion to the expected payoff ( payoff does not mean financial- getting a nominated SCOTUS candidate ditched would be a "pay off" ). 

In my 20s, I was presented with a few opportunities to have "fun" with women I didn't know, but were up for a bit of the old "slap and tickle". Didn't happen often, but was just one of those "ships passing in the night" sort of situations. For some reason, people seem to think that women never do anything like that, which is ludicrous.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Again, assuming you speak from some kind of personal experience, you have my sympathies. 

Certainly my experience. The longer the relationship, the less the frequency of nooky. Also seems to be common among men I have talked to about it, which would not be a large demographic, but certainly significant. They do say that if one puts a coin in a jar every time nooky happens in the first year of marriage, and takes one out every time after the 1 year, the jar will never be emptied.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Certainly my experience. The longer the relationship, the less the frequency of nooky. Also seems to be common among men I have talked to about it, which would not be a large demographic, but certainly significant. They do say that if one puts a coin in a jar every time nooky happens in the first year of marriage, and takes one out every time after the 1 year, the jar will never be emptied.

You and your friends also have my sympathies.

But personal anecdotes aside, and getting back on topic, there is no evidence to show, as some have suggested, that women are devious creatures who are prone to concocting assault stories for some kind of personal gain, be it revenge or monetary.

On the contrary, there is a plethora of evidence, from around the world, that the vast majority of assaults go unreported—ever, let alone years later. Of those that *do* get reported, 93 to 98 percent turn out to be true.

++

When I discuss things with  my children, who are very young adults, I see a very different world. For now, the patriarchy survives—but only till my generation dies out. I look at my kids and their friends—who’ve also become my friends—and see through their eyes, I am heartened at the more equal, more compassionate world they are already creating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

You and your friends also have my sympathies.

But personal anecdotes aside, and getting back on topic, there is no evidence to show, as some have suggested, that women are devious creatures who are prone to concocting assault stories for some kind of personal gain, be it revenge or monetary.

On the contrary, there is a plethora of evidence, from around the world, that the vast majority of assaults go unreported—ever, let alone years later. Of those that *do* get reported, 93 to 98 percent turn out to be true.

++

When I discuss things with  my children, who are very young adults, I see a very different world. For now, the patriarchy survives—but only till my generation dies out. I look at my kids and their friends—who’ve also become my friends—and see through their eyes, I am heartened at the more equal, more compassionate world they are already creating.

Well said.

There does need to be better processes for both men and women in reporting and defending with sexual abuses. Some are severe and some are trivial. It's not fair to punish them in the same way. Good examples are Roy Moore severe and Al Franken trivial but both men experienced similar social consequences.

Its well known that a long time taken to report even decades does not mean it didn't happen.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/26/2018 at 5:06 PM, Jingthing said:

Probably he can use his merch from the store to pay other convicts to do chores for him.

Based on what little I know about prison life, it's my understanding jobs are often sought by prisoners to help break the boredom.

Incredible comments made by many on this thread I think.      The answer to what so many have pondered, namely "why women sometimes wait years before reporting sexual assaults" has been answered many times by victims.   If a person really doesn't want to believe the answer he's free to keep asking the question as many TVF members will continue to do.

I also give credibility to much that  Thaibeachlover wrote on this thread.

I'd love to know the real motivation Crosby had over all these years.   Is he simply a wacko or was he trying to sate some latent  sexual urge.    Did he stay married just to keep up an image but really was  fully unsatisfied with his wife?

I suppose these things will forever go unanswered but I know for damn sure I'd rather reverse the order of comfort level Cosby will be experiencing.

Going from super wealth to final chapter in prison must really suck.

• Like 1

Reports are he is in isolation now because they're not sure how to protect him. I somehow doubt at his age and legally blind that he's going to be actively employed in prison.

Based on age and health I still think house arrest would have been the humane thing. That he would be more comfortable than most because of his wealth is just another reflection of the obscene inequalities in American society.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Thakkar said:

You see a very different world to the one I see. I see a world with a vast movement of people with very different mores flooding into the west. Those people have no truck with the supremacy of women, and it is supremely ironical that western women and their male lackeys are the ones pushing for the almost unlimited immigration of the very people that will overturn the supremacist women's order.

I also see little compassion in a world where millions of poor Asians are exploited by western companies to produce the cheap goods that western people buy.

BTW, I worked in a female dominated occupation for decades, and women management, IMO, are just as horrible as male managers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There does need to be better processes for both men and women in reporting and defending with sexual abuses. Some are severe and some are trivial. It's not fair to punish them in the same way. Good examples are Roy Moore severe and Al Franken trivial but both men experienced similar social consequences.

Its well known that a long time taken to report even decades does not mean it didn't happen.

I would welcome the opportunity to report the abuse that females have done against me over the years and have it taken seriously. Unfortunately, that day is not yet. Currently, only women have their tales of male abuse treated sympathetically.

I especially look forward to the day when a male equivalent of me too starts to protect men against female abuse of them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I'd love to know the real motivation Crosby had over all these years.   Is he simply a wacko or was he trying to sate some latent  sexual urge.    Did he stay married just to keep up an image but really was  fully unsatisfied with his wife?

I very much believe that if he actually did what he was accused of that it is nothing to do with the availability, or not, of sex, or of his relationship with his wife. I believe that if he actually did those things it was caused by mental illness. Remember that mental illness covers a great variety of human conditions, and is no simple matter to diagnose in many cases.

The greatest obstacle to advances in diagnosis is the desire for revenge by the victims of such conditions that would rather see the perpetrator punished than treated.

When I was much younger, I was unfortunate enough to be abused by a woman that exploited men for a short period, and then cast them aside as she moved on to her next victim. Was she mentally ill ( possible sociopath ) or just a nasty piece of work? I'll never know now.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Agree 100%, but unless it's a serious matter like murder, what is the point of dredging up every little thing that happened when we were young. I could report several of my teachers for physical abuse if I wanted to be picky enough, and there were other students that  bullied or assaulted me. Would anything be gained by making an issue of that now? There is much truth in the saying that s*** happens. There comes a point that one has to move on, or wallow in despair for the rest of our lives. Our choice, but I disagree that the rest of society should enable the wallowers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I very much believe that if he actually did what he was accused of that it is nothing to do with the availability, or not, of sex, or of his relationship with his wife. I believe that if he actually did those things it was caused by mental illness. Remember that mental illness covers a great variety of human conditions, and is no simple matter to diagnose in many cases.

The greatest obstacle to advances in diagnosis is the desire for revenge by the victims of such conditions that would rather see the perpetrator punished than treated.

When I was much younger, I was unfortunate enough to be abused by a woman that exploited men for a short period, and then cast them aside as she moved on to her next victim. Was she mentally ill ( possible sociopath ) or just a nasty piece of work? I'll never know now.

Its a matter of perception and power politics.  Most lads dreamed of sex with an older girl and would not have called it abuse but called it good luck. Its only the insanity of political correctness that has forced lucky lads , blessed with the attentions of older girls, to see themselves as victims. Here's to you Mrs Robinson!

11 minutes ago, The manic said:

Its a matter of perception and power politics.  Most lads dreamed of sex with an older girl and would not have called it abuse but called it good luck. Its only the insanity of political correctness that has forced lucky lads , blessed with the attentions of older girls, to see themselves as victims. Here's to you Mrs Robinson!

I have no problem with Mrs Robinson types and would count myself fortunate to have met one. The woman to which I refer was my age and treated me appallingly. I found out later that she had a history of doing the same with multiple men.

45 minutes ago, The manic said:

Eons ago I read a news article about a sailor who reported being raped in the back of a box truck by three women.

Depending on the circumstances, I didn't think it would be so horrible.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree 100%, but unless it's a serious matter like murder, what is the point of dredging up every little thing that happened when we were young. I could report several of my teachers for physical abuse if I wanted to be picky enough, and there were other students that  bullied or assaulted me. Would anything be gained by making an issue of that now? There is much truth in the saying that s*** happens. There comes a point that one has to move on, or wallow in despair for the rest of our lives. Our choice, but I disagree that the rest of society should enable the wallowers.

I agree that “every little thing” should not be dredged up. For example, in the case of Al Franken. I didn’t agree with his being forced to resign, but accepted it quickly as collateral damage because the otherwise legitimate but nascent “me too” movement needed all the support it could get. I might have felt different if the one being accused was me, but it wasn’t.

At the time, I said this: 

“The larger issue unfolding is not just about the relative severity of the sexual harassment, or debasement of the other. It is an exposé of abusive power dynamics. In all instances, whether Franken, Roy Moore or Kevin Spacey or others (though, like you, I am loath to lump them all together, because that framing implies a reduction in severity of the latter two, or conversely, a greater, perhaps undeserved severity for the former) it is a situation of a more powerful person abusing their position to disrespect the personal space, wants, feelings of the less powerful. 

What’s happening is that that kind of abuse of power is going to be less tolerated by individuals, and by society at large.

As this plays out, there will undoubtedly be collateral damage, and people who may deserve a slap on the wrist may be punished more harshly by society than they deserve. That’s unfortunate and is in  the nature of big societal shifts. But all people with lesser power will be less vulnerable than they  once were. That’s progress.”

What Cosby did wasn’t “a little thing.” He repeatedly drugged and sexually abused women while they were inebriated as a result of his surreptitious drugging. It’s right that, albeit belated, he got his comeuppance. 

When people say why it’s necessary to dredge up old crimes, I’m reminded of this quote:

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn in The Gulag Archipelago.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I remember him as a funny guy back in the 80's and he was popular among the kids.  I am sure he has many good sides , but his sex life is completely messed up. 

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Hope he spends the rest of his miserable life rotting in a cell. 

There are of lot black prisoners who would queue up for their turn to kick Cosby's ass, not because of what he's locked up for, but because of the things he had been saying about the U.S. black community for years.  The first person who publicly called him a rapist was a young black comedian responding to a tweet Cosby sent out, and that's what started this whole thing.  Notice that the community did not rally to Cosby's defense. 

When I was a teenager it was the golden age of comedy albums, and I recall rolling on the floor laughing at Cosby's stuff, especially the stories about sleeping in the same bed as his brother when they were kids.  Then he became a TV star.  I saw him on a late-night talk show in the 1970s, got the impression "The Coz" was not a nice guy.  As the years went on he got less funny and took to stealing other people's jokes.  A few months before all this mess came to light he had a stand-up special on cable (HBO, I think) and it wasn't really jokes, it was family stories with him taking shots at his wife and kids; afterwards, my assessment was that it was more mean than it was funny.

One take-away of the Cosby story is that longevity is not always a positive thing.  Jimmy Saville died before it all caught up with him. 

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

The only possible benefit to this circus is if it makes another not-so-famous scumbag think twice. There is a difference of degree, however, between rape & 'groping'. Cosby is far too old to be thinking about sex anyway. I doubt he'll last to age 91.

I was not aware that there was an age limit to sexuality. Such thinking is ageism, and people that consider others too old for sex because they are a bit wrinkly should remember that they too will be old eventually.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and people that consider others too old for sex because they are a bit wrinkly should remember that they too will be old eventually.

Nah, I've met loads of guys in Thailand that died before being old.

I would say only 30% of expats in Thailand achieve 'old'.

(If you want to protest and claim 50%, I wouldn't argue)

Anyway, back on topic, I think Bill Cosby got a bum deal.

I've no time for women suddenly remembering sexual assaults 20, 30, 40 years ago.

In the 70s and 80s, every woman I bedded was drunk or high, usually with stuff I had paid for.

MeToo, for that matter.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2