150 Baht now for a big Chang

sanemax

On 9/30/2018 at 10:00 AM, BritManToo said:

U-beer, 50bht for a big bottle at my local mom & pop store, and they'll give me a glass to sit and drink it at a table outside.

Me too but I thought I paid 30 last time.

Prices have gone up in the last 2 years that I have been in China.

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I dont have a television ( Well, I do have one in my room, just never switched it on)

Now its 450 Baht for three beers in two hours .

Its quite funny really , when the beers were 75 Baht , I used to go out for a night and easily spend 1000 Baht , now the beers are 150 , I just take 300 Baht out with me .

A few years ago when the exchange rate was better and Changs were 75 Baht , that was the equivalent to 1 Pound 50 .

Now its nearly 4 Pounds

Wow, living the dream.

Spending a whole four pounds for a night out ????

RAZZ

• Like 1

Can't drink the Elephant Piss Chang since they changed the formula a few years back and went to the awful green bottle. However...totally on-board and in absolute agreement with your post and points. I've been complaining about the meteoric rise in prices here for damn near a decade. Walked out of a go-go in Cowboy years ago when saw the price of a small Chang was ฿140. Imagine they are close to ฿200 by now. :post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1

If you had traveled with the fans from Chiang Mai FC last Saturday to Khon Kaen you would have found a large Chang around 85 baht - even cheaper in a Thai bar. If you are ever in Siem Reap in Cambodia you will find many bars selling a small (half pint) draught Angkor beer for 50 US cents (16 baht!!!). 5% alcohol - same as Chang and Leo but infinitely cheaper.

Edited by Burma Bill
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 7:21 AM, Lungstib said:

The price lonely old men pay for company and TV without a monthly subscription. Its a choice.

since the sincerity of the female company is not sincere anyway, why not go to a thai venue and get 4 big bottles for around 240 baht and have the chang girls serve it. the beer company girly usually are much hotter than those in the lonely old farang expensive places. i might add you also get live music in some thai venues and not all thai songs

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 5:38 AM, Vacuum said:

Try Blue Sky, 70 baht.

Blue Sky, my favourite bar in Chiang Mai... Greetings to Om, if she still works there ????

70 baht, it has been same price as long as I remember....

• Like 1

Vote with your dick, er, feet. 

Don't go there amymore, whinging on here is mildly entertaining, but pointless.  

I've recently just given up the sauce, after just three weeks, I feel fantastic and the weights melting away, even tho I'm drinking fruit juices now, and have an occasional pastry habit. 

I had a 'nostalgic' beer at a Tesco beer bar last week and it tasted horrible. 

????

Edited by Small Joke

39 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

If you had traveled with the fans from Chiang Mai FC last Saturday to Khon Kaen you would have found a large Chang around 85 baht - even cheaper in a Thai bar. If you are ever in Siem Reap in Cambodia you will find many bars selling a small (half pint) draught Angkor beer for 50 US cents (16 baht!!!). 5% alcohol - same as Chang and Leo but infinitely cheaper.

Cambodia. Visited SR and PP last year. The last refuge of the desperate. Even the Philippines is light years ahead of it. Their wholesale massacre of smart people a generation ago really shows. What a dump. God help them. 

• Like 1

If you just want a beer, 7- Eleven. If you want a beer and a seat, plenty of small Thai restaurants will do. If you want a beer and footy on TV, pay a bit more. If you want the above plus bargirls with fake smiles and mock-flirting in a high rent location, you`ll pay much more. Decide what you want and pay accordingly but at least you have a choice.

On 9/30/2018 at 4:56 AM, sanemax said:

Im just not "happy" about paying a 200 % mark-up on beer prices .

When , a few years ago , they were charging 80-90 Bart for a large Chang 

I would quite happily spend a 1000 Baht for a night out

These days , two beers and thats it 

gee, maybe you ought to get into your way-back machine and go back to, "a few years ago"  Or you could simply stop going to those bars. My local sports bar--several large screen TVs, British pub fare and a good selection of beers and spirits--serves my beer, San Miguel Light at B70, and my spirits; Jack and soda at B60 and a double Gordon and grapefruit juice at B90.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Deli said:

It's 140 for a small one in NEP, stop crying like a baby if you wanna play like a man

Not if you go to the top right bar as you enter the plaza, B99 for any bottom shelf drink, beer or spirit--or at least it was about a year ago on a Buddha holiday when all you had  to do was drink from a glass and pay your drinks as you go so you wouldn't have a bill for the coppers to see.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 8:17 AM, sanemax said:

I usually pay 51 Baht

I'm in 7/11

90 Baht in Ban Dung, free pool, music on the big screen or sport, up to you.

I made the mistake once of ordering a small San Miguel at iBis hotel in Phuket by the pool, 150 baht later and I said to myself, those Russians opposite me with 3 large bottles of Leo who just walked in from 7/11 are not cheap Charlie's.

A beer should never be more than double of what you can pay for it at 7/11 IMO, sure there are staff and overheads to pay, but want to close up like most others do, charge more than double then.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, Vacuum said:

Try Blue Sky, 70 baht.

i went there once, not again.

boring ex pats playing pool, trying to look professional with their little pool gloves on

the staff were very off hand.

no thanks, i would rather pay more

• Like 1

Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs....... Seen it all over Asia, Singapore, Hong Kong and now in Thailand...... the only winner is the 7/11, but as i found out in Krabi you couldn't sit down outside if you had bought any alcohol from there, just incase you drank it..... It's a sad state of affairs when you can't sell p&ss and P&ssy.......

6 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

OP

Im a bit confused- in my part of the world we have ‘sports’ bars - some are not bad with quite good food etc. 

I can’t recall any of them having a mamasan - what type of ‘sport ‘ where you watching? 

What's wrong with watching the girls in the interval ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs....... Seen it all over Asia, Singapore, Hong Kong and now in Thailand...... the only winner is the 7/11, but as i found out in Krabi you couldn't sit down outside if you had bought any alcohol from there, just incase you drank it..... It's a sad state of affairs when you can't sell p&ss and P&ssy.......

What i find really repulsive in bars nowadays, is not the price of drinks, but the attitude of the staff, they seem to have their heads buried in their phones most of the time.

• Like 1