British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

How many UK citizens have actually registered their presence in Thailand with the UK embassy, this would give the the embassy a more realistic number of UK expats living here and maybe  with a more realistic number of UK expats living here  will give the embassy more leverage in their request to negotiate with Thai authorities on our behalf.

Edited by sappersrest
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

How many UK citizens have actually registered their presence in Thailand with the UK embassy, this would give the the embassy a more realistic number of UK expats living here and maybe  with a more realistic number of UK expats living here  will give the embassy more leverage in their request to negotiate with Thai authorities on our behalf.

I bet the BE knows exactly down to the last person how many British expats live in Thailand...I would make a wager that Thailand shares that info....

Those that are registered get regular email updates about Britain in Thailand, including one last Monday about this topic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, evadgib said:

I dont really know where to start, but lets keep this simple by pointing out that the shorter the letter the greater the chance that you'll score a bullseye (& i'll pretend I didn't notice your 01 January 2019!)

Edited 11 hours ago by evadgib

Yes, thank you for another your smug responses. Please feel free to add something positive. And yes, I did change the date prior to sending the emails.

Joe

Edited by Shoeless Joe

10 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Yes, thank you for another your smug responses. Please feel free to add something positive. And yes, I did change the date prior to sending the emails.

Joe

A practical suggestion based on experience is hardly being smug but as you'd already submitted it I needn't have bothered..

17 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Not if they are serious about the "crackdown" already started on the Agents helping to get illegal Extensions... :unsure:

One case I saw noted (posted in this thread) involved "fake tax documents" by an agent.  This is apples and oranges. 

The agents working with most expats don't "fake" documents - they get a genuine bank-letter based on a one-day loan into the applicant's bank-account.  Then, they get the seasoning-requirement waived by an IO with sufficient rank to legally waive that seasoning.  As so far described, no laws have been broken.

But, it is logical to assume that agents pay tea-money to get this seasoning waived - and that act would be illegal.  But, to prove this, they would need to, first, review extension-paperwork to find extensions where seasoning-proof is absent, then, investigate the finances of IOs who waived the seasoning on large numbers of applications, and their superiors, and their superiors'-superiors, on up the chain.  I will not hold my breath waiting for such to occur.

Further evidence indicating illegal money being involved, are some offices which make non-agent submissions difficult or impossible.  If they want to keep their agent-money golden-goose, they would be wise to force all offices in the country to operate like Chang Wattana - where in-person applicants can follow the published-rules as written.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I bet the BE knows exactly down to the last person how many British expats live in Thailand...I would make a wager that Thailand shares that info....

The PALANTIR AI spy system knows exactly where you are and correlates NGA geospatial data with you profile. 

15 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Good question! I somehow doubt that Embassy changed their police because of pressure from Thai authorities. 

If it really was result pressure from Thai government, then why only UK Embassy? Surely gov here would have pressured every Western embassy in similar fashion, and this would have leaked, we would have heard about it from other embassies. Somehow it's only UK Embassy. And not only are other embassies  not going along, to the contrary, NZ Embassy, just for example, issued statement that they have NO plans to change anything.

Did Thai government target UK only? Doesn't make sense! UK retirees are not "extra undesirable", so why target UK expats only?

I bet it's UK Foreign Office, or Embassy itself. Either way, we will probably never know for sure, but we now do know HOW much UK Embassy cares about Brits residing in Thailand.

If I was British, I'd be furious. All your lives, you, Brits, have been paying taxes that pay the salaries of these bureaucrats that now decided to F you. 

No one has ever said life must be fair, but this move by UK Embassy towards their own people is low. All you, Brits, it is you, who have paid all your lives, and are paying now the salaries of  these douch*bags, and this is how they return in kind! 

Unbelievable!

Without being specific I would guess that a large percentage of Thai retirement visa applicant are getting letters of income or a Stat dec from various Embassies in Thailand with figures that are figment of their imagination to establish their income to be granted a visa  I talk to plenty of them who privately admit their scam.  There are a variety of ways you can get around these issue.  I believe you can get a rubber stamp made in Bangkok which will be an exact copy of an Embassy Stamp? for Bt200.  (surly not, not in BKK). It maybe that the British Embassy is aware of this and also other Embassies.  Deceptive and misleading information to obtain a benefit in Australia and probably in most western countries is a crime now days.  Embassies anywhere in the world cannot be prosecuted by the host nation for issuing a letters containing "False and Misleading Information"  Perhaps all these Embassies hear so many "cock and bull stories" about income statements they are just giving up. 

Edited by David Walden

David Walden

I had to show my pension letters to get the Ïncome Letter"from the Embassy. Can you honestly believe the DWP and Civil Service Pensions are going to falsify documents to enable me to meet the financial requirements of the Thai Immigration??

I also used to attach them to the Embassy Letter for Immigration.

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to inform BBC News about this?

It may not be news, as such, yet, but it's surely going to be if ex-pats are going to be forced out of the Country!

I already tried penning a message to [email protected] but sending fails as the address is apparently not valid!

If anyone knows how to do this please let me know or PM me and I will send you the text.

2 minutes ago, doctormann said:

It may not be news, as such, yet, but it's surely going to be if ex-pats are going to be forced out of the Country!

I already tried penning a message to [email protected] but sending fails as the address is apparently not valid!

If anyone knows how to do this please let me know or PM me and I will send you the text.

https://www.bbc.com/news/have_your_say

9 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Sounds like an excellent idea. The more noise you Brits make, including OUTSIDE Thailand, the more both the Brit Embassy AND Thai Immigration will sit up & take notice.

25 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Thanks, I'll try that.

I suppose we could tweet Jonathan Head?  I don't have a Twitter account but someone on this forum will have.

Text duly submitted to 'haveyoursay' and receipt acknowledged.

If I get any feedback I'll post it on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Text duly submitted to 'haveyoursay' and receipt acknowledged.

If I get any feedback I'll post it on this forum.

Don't forget the Foreign office facebook, I don't have an account myself so I can't protest using this road. I shall certainly try the BBC route.

Just now, soalbundy said:

Don't forget the Foreign office facebook, I don't have an account myself so I can't protest using this road. I shall certainly try the BBC route.

I don't have FB either - gave upon it long ago.

Good idea for those that do have to post something on there.

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have 3 separate pensions, the State Pension, my Military pension and my company pension and you seem to be accusing me of making a false statement on all 3 of them.

Now how can I get 2 UK government agencies and a private company in the UK to inflate my pensions? Unless of course you are accusing me of fraud.

I suggest that you do a bit more research before making a statement like that.

Man it seems you want to be the victim...I was really talking about the many of the thousands perhaps millions of Retirement Visa applicants, who have no hard evidence with their information about their savings, I know there are plenty. (all nice people)  The UK or Aus pension is OK to live in Thailand but is far short of the required Bt800,000 P/A income requirement and getting worse each day presently (Aus pension about Bt500,000 P/A now).  My situation is much like your income, Part of bank deposit, part bank managed retirement fund ( called Super in Aus) and part Aus Govt. "Australian Aged Pension" (AAP).  My Bank Managed Super fund has a surrender value in excess of the required Bt800,000, that's all I show the Thai Embassy in Canberra, I have to have witten proof from the Super fund.  Lady from the Thai Embassy in Canberra say "you tell them no more, it just confuses them you have enough in your retirement fund for Retirement  Visa OK, OK, OK say no more she is lovely"  I get my Retirement Visa from the Thai Embassy in Canberra Aus.  Multi entry "O" and it can last almost 2 years if you leave and return a day before before the 1 year expiry date. Thai Immigration will extend the visa a further 12 month each time you leave and re-enter in the 1st 12 months.  If you leave during the extension period (2nd 12 months) your visa will lapse and you will have to re-apply for a retirement visa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

As a Brit living in Thailand for a few decades now, I've found it to be good policy to stay off the Thai government's radar................and also the British government's radar.

but we are all on the screen regardless, making a smaller blip helps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

As a Brit living in Thailand for a few decades now, I've found it to be good policy to stay off the Thai government's radar................and also the British government's radar.

This doesn't bother me as I'm 100% legal.  Nothing to hide!

• Like 2

Complaining to Thai officials is way out of line. It will prove detremental to your cause.

"Who do you think you are? Who do you think you are talking to? Whose country is this anyhow? If you haven't got 800k in your Thai bank 3 months before extension application then you are no longer welcome.

Simple as that. We make the rules here."

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Well this is the most "cock and bull" story I've heard so far! The British Embassy letter has a red seal embossed into the paper. Difficult to replicate, and a stamp wouldn't cut it.

Most people supply information in a form that is also difficult to replicate.

Nice try but no cigar.

Thai Retirement Visa:- Went to Aus Embassy in Bangkok a few years ago with a stat dec with evidence that I had more then Bt 800,000 in my Bank managed retirement fund, signed it in front of an Embassy official, they signed it and put an Embassy stamp on it, had to get on a que.  The Embassy indicated this would get me a Retirement Visa, charged Bt1900 ( now Bt3000 about $110 and have to have an appointment, takes about 2 mins).  Oh! how the money rolls in.  I didn't get the visa.  I did the same in Australia together with a genuine $75 police report and got a $75 genuine medical certificate (not the Bt80 model signed by the  Dr. receptionist)  showing that I didn't have the clap and a few other things, paid my Aus $275  fee, no problem getting a Retirement Visa.  Took about a week.  According to Thai Web Site in Aus. nothing has change, this service is still available. 

Trying to get a Retirement Visa to live in Australia from Thailand or UK you need about 1.5 million dollars Aus and at least $200 a week for medical insurance ( not free for freeloaders there) You have to build a new house not buy one and have at least $750,000 or maybe more now to live on.   In Aus or UK to get a retirement visa it will not be anywhere near as simple as it is to get approval as it is in Thailand nor will it be anywhere near that simple in most western countries.  You really just need the Bt800,000 in Thailand and it will happen.  There in lies the problem! Maybe hmmm. 

The Perth Consul a few years ago when I complained about "red tape" reminded me when I was applying for a Thai 60 day+30 day tourist visa, that for a Thai to apply for a short term visa to Aus, the application the form is 28 pages long and proof of income is very carefully examined (he won that argument).   Making a false declaration in Aus if found out can get you 4 years in gaol or a very heavy fine.  Probably the same in UK or US  Perhaps all the Thai immigration wants is the truth from applicants when applying for a Retirement Visa, yes there are many "cock and bull" stories around this one.  It seems to be out of control at present, maybe they'll fix it...don't hold your breath.  Maybe that's where they a trying to go??? ( a long hard road for The Thais). 

It seems maybe that if you pass the medical, don't have any outstanding criminal actions against you and have the required funds and be able to prove either to be in your home country or Thailand all will be simple if you apply at home or in Thailand???.   So what different in any western country?  With this procedure you can stay in Thailand on a Retirement visa for almost 2 years ( multi "O").    The other frustrating issues when applying for any other Thai visas are a different kettle of fish red tape +++...but TIT  Hmmmm.

• Like 1