fallen foul of income requirement

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

This only works if youre married to a Thai, & the disadvantage compared to an extension is that you have to leave the country every 90 days with all the attendant costs, with an extension you just fill a form in at your nearest immigration office without leaving the country, much cheaper & doesn't waste 1 1/2 passport pages every 90 days....

Correct, except for the "just fill a form" part.  It is not a small thing, and involves police-visits to one's home, bringing witnesses to the office, etc - varying by office.  At Chang Wattana and some other offices, at least you can count on supplying only the docs on the list provided on this site.  But, the process varies in difficulty by office, with some making a big PITA out of it and treating the applicant like a would-be criminal (unless they pay an agent 10x+ the actual cost).

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Might sound daft, but can you not just send the money back to the UK you when here and then resend it again a few times ? OK you'd lose money in transfers fees and currency changes , but strictly it would not be illegal i suppose 

If/when bank-statements by themselves are accepted as proof of income, this might work - and I suspect many would do exactly that (rotate the money), which is why I don't see this ever being accepted (regardless of what the Brit-Embassy is claiming). 

For now, at least, an applicant must supply an embassy-procured income-letter - so would need to bear false witness and/or present falsified documents (depending on one's embassy policy) to get a letter showing more income than one actually receives.

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Just remember there's a new boss at Immigration Dept. I'm not Joking.

Yes! and he's a Major General. WAAAAAAL. Was a Major General of the Tourist police, now a Major General

of the Immigration dept. Probably a Major General in his next job also. What a man.:cheesy::clap2:.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In which topic?

It has only been mentioned in this topic for the OP who is married to a Thai.

The only nearby location that will issue a multiple entry non-o visa for retirement is Penang and it requires 800k baht in the bank for proof of 65k baht income to apply for it.

Thanks for the clarification. 

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:
Just remember there's a new boss at Immigration Dept. I'm not Joking.

I thought it was a big joke? We don't know the impact on agents yet

No, we don't. However, agents are a high-profile avoidance tactic and will certainly be known to immigration.  

• Like 1

I don't understand the big drama that many UK posters on this forum are making out of the pound exchange rate. I am not referring just to this thread, but also e.g. to those complaining about their Embassy not issuing (maybe) income letters.

Drop in pound... what drop?

The pound/baht rate in the last year has fluctuated by very few percent. It is now down 2% wrt to one year ago. If one doesn't meet financial requirements to live in this country (I am not saying they are fair, but they are what they are) by TWO PERCENT, it means they are really clinging at straws to start with.

If they are referring to the golden years when the pound was more than 70 baht, well dream on. The baht will not go back to that anytime soon.

OP, my humble advice: if you can, transfer and season 400k, even at today's rate. Or if you cannot, do sit down with your wife and take a serious look at your future prospects because things won't be improving anytime soon. In my opinion, tourist visas and multiple extensions are only a way of postponing the problem.

• Like 2

I know someone who came up short on their embassy income statement recently. The pound had dipped again and their declared UK income was no longer worth 40,000 baht a month when they went to extend. The only concession from immigration was that they immediately supplied the shortfall to the annual 480,000 amount in a bank account, and waived seasoning. They had to borrow some to top up his Thai account to the required amount, fortunately he was only 15,000 baht short in his bank account and he did have funds in the UK but only in investments which couldn't be quickly cashed. 

Was told 'next year, have enough money or no visa'. So do not expect much 'official' help from immigration.

On a related point, with the embassy letter probably expiring, i do have one idea for those who do not have 400,000 baht in cash in a savings account - as long as you still have a UK address and UK banking, try and borrow 10,000 GBP - currently not to difficult  and the interest rates are very low - can get it for under 4% pa if your UK credit rating is good. Just will have to tighten your belt for 5 years while you pay it back! I may do this myself as my UK savings would be pretty much wiped out and i feel more comfortable having some cash there to pay off emergencies (i.e. if i put a lot on the credit card).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I don't understand the big drama that many UK posters on this forum are making out of the pound exchange rate. I am not referring just to this thread, but also e.g. to those complaining about their Embassy not issuing (maybe) income letters.

Drop in pound... what drop?

The Pound dropped from 55 ish Baht to 40 Baht in the last few years , 25 odd %

• Like 1

It seems this tightening of immigration and embassy income letters will result in... 

More divorces, because some will be departing. And more girls returning to the bars. 

More illegals and overstayers. 

Increase in beer prices and food prices at Tops and Villa Market because of less falangs.

Further decline in bar attendance. 

More handsome comments than ever.

The glass is half full for those with out such problems. 

Edited by inThailand

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

I know someone who came up short on their embassy income statement recently. The pound had dipped again and their declared UK income was no longer worth 40,000 baht a month when they went to extend. The only concession from immigration was that they immediately supplied the shortfall to the annual 480,000 amount in a bank account, and waived seasoning. They had to borrow some to top up his Thai account to the required amount, fortunately he was only 15,000 baht short in his bank account and he did have funds in the UK but only in investments which couldn't be quickly cashed. 

Was told 'next year, have enough money or no visa'. So do not expect much 'official' help from immigration.

On a related point, with the embassy letter probably expiring, i do have one idea for those who do not have 400,000 baht in cash in a savings account - as long as you still have a UK address and UK banking, try and borrow 10,000 GBP - currently not to difficult  and the interest rates are very low - can get it for under 4% pa if your UK credit rating is good. Just will have to tighten your belt for 5 years while you pay it back! I may do this myself as my UK savings would be pretty much wiped out and i feel more comfortable having some cash there to pay off emergencies (i.e. if i put a lot on the credit card).

The money has to be in a Thai account and is 18k pounds sterling for unmarried men or women.

23 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

due to the Thai  / pound  exchange rates I am now 3000 bht  short  of the required  40.000 monthly

income    as the ex-rate is hardly unlikely to improve   also if the embassy is no longer producing income letter  will immigration any  alternative ie  imm accepting bank statements

if all of income   what alternatives  can i use  ie visa could i apply for

i am  married  and over 50  also i have here lived for eight years

Just get a 1-year non-o multi-entry from Savannakhet (Laos), or Ho Chi Mihn City (Vietnam).

Cost is 5000bht (+ $35 Laos VISA) or $200 (Free 14 day Viet VISA on entry for Brits)

Which works out at almost exactly the same cost.

No evidence of income or savings required, just the money for the VISA.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zyphodb said:

This only works if youre married to a Thai, & the disadvantage compared to an extension is that you have to leave the country every 90 days with all the attendant costs, with an extension you just fill a form in at your nearest immigration office without leaving the country, much cheaper & doesn't waste 1 1/2 passport pages every 90 days....

If you live in Chiang Mai,

Green Bus to Mae Sai border is 200bht each way, and 500bht for the Burma border entry.

VietJet CNX to HCMC a bit more expensive at 1,500bht each way (free 14 day entry for a Brit).

Not sure you can describe Chiang Mai immigration as 'just fill in a form', more of a queue all night or pay an agent $$$$$s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

can your wife get a short term (3-month) loan?

put cash in your seasoning account, pay off after extension?

Aren't the Immigration officers curious as to the origin of funds? "Normally" they expect them to originate overseas. Please correct me if I am in error here.

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

Aren't the Immigration officers curious as to the origin of funds? "Normally" they expect them to originate overseas. Please correct me if I am in error here.

I asked ubonjoe earlier on today about a marriage extention and he asserted that it doesn't matter where the funds originate from. Not sure about a retirement extension.

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

It's not technically required for extensions. But yeah, they might be curious. 

1 minute ago, vogie said:

I asked ubonjoe earlier on today about a marriage extention and he asserted that it doesn't matter where the funds originate from. Not sure about a retirement extension.

Same. Deposit doesn't technically need to be from abroad except for when CONVERTING to an O visa in Thailand (when it does). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

at changwattana starting with a visa waiver.....for retirement, ya gots to prove source outside of thailand to apply for the visa.  after that you just have to show balance properly seasoned.

OP has been living in thailand using income verification for 8 years.  pretty sure his bank can provide a statement of some kind showing a couple million transferred in......if needed.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, Lamkyong said:

due to the Thai  / pound  exchange rates I am now 3000 bht  short  of the required  40.000 monthly

income    as the ex-rate is hardly unlikely to improve   also if the embassy is no longer producing income letter  will immigration any  alternative ie  imm accepting bank statements

if all of income   what alternatives  can i use  ie visa could i apply for

i am  married  and over 50  also i have here lived for eight years

The Embassy is still issuing income letters and will do until December 12th.

Not sure if it's the proper advice to recommend endless multiple entries for Farangs with family here. Basically encouraging a Indiana Jones lifestyle for a family-man. Not to mention that Immigration does not want those type of "long-term-residents" anymore. Well publicised for at least 2 years..
IMO, not having 400'000 Bht means that a person is living "undercapitalised" in a foreighn country, 10'000 Km's away from home. No more, no less.
Some may call them "risk-takers". Others may call them "gamblers". Thai Immigration will likely call them "unwelcome guests" down the line. Like it or not.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 11:20 AM, Dmaxdan said:

If you're applying for a marriage extension then what about 400,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account in your name?  Of course not everyone wants to tie up large sums of money here, especially with the weak pound. 

Put the equivalent of your 400/800,000 Bht in GBPs into a Foreign Currency account, which is accepted by Immigration. Then the exchange rate does not matter. And you get a small amount of interest on it.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:17 PM, maprao said:

Yes and he gets this forum translated. This us how all the "loopholes" are closed.

To the op. Place 400k in a bank and let it "season "

And next week he will take the British Embassy to task after reading those translations.  He loves his British pals here and don't like to see them upset  ????????????

just go and have fun, knowing you'll be spending half a day there.  get your ticket and leave, don't gotta stay in the waiting area.  you can see the number board from outside, so just wander past every half hour or so when it gets near your number.

plenty of food and drink.....coffee shops and donuts.  also a 7-11 for the cheaper charlies.  you can take the free shuttle to the main road.  kfc across the street and i think one of those amazon coffee shops.

or stay in the battlestar galactica....usually has some kind of exposition going on just outside immigration.  wear your jogging shoes, i hear there's a running/jogging track inside the starship.

just take a book to keep yourself occupied for a couple hours.  you should be able to get the visa/extension and re-entry permit done before the noon break.

.....or pay an agent 15,000 bahts....