SURVEY: Big Joke--Is he on the right track?

Scott

SURVEY: Big Joke--on the right track or overzealous?  

197 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

EG: if you are a retiree and decide to go upcountry to spend some days with wife/gf's family and you stay in a hotel and then when you return home within 24 hrs have to go to immigration and show them all your documents / house docs again

I am retired, am up country, have travelled from the north -east to the far south, also have stayed at Phuket, Bangkok, and Pattaya for a week at each places on many occasions, NEVER went to immigration within 24 hours after my return, why would I ?

22 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

same if you go out of country - this is total unnecessary madness!!

Went to immigration the other day, it took me 5 minutes to get a re-entry visa with the form I completed before I arrived, paid the 1,000 baht and Bob's your uncle.

I see nothing out of the ordinary here, yes we have to do the 90 day reporting, the annual renewals, but no more difficult than taking a dump if your organised and accept the fact that they do not give visas as freely as other countries do, their country, their rules, who am I to impose my views on how they should run it, unless they ask me of course, I am merely a visitor living in the LOS. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Racism. 

It's a worldwide phenomenon ????

I don't have a problem with anyone putting their views across, or taking action for whatever their reasons, actually if it is as you say, I applaud them, as they should have a say as to who they want to live in their country. Actually not giving visas is a smart way of getting rid of the trash that overstay, just have a look at the world today, there are a lot of gutless governments out there who have taken in lots of nationalities and, giving out visas and citizenships, only to find that their own people are against the intended integration as a lot of people do not assimilate, and weigh heavily on the social security system, on top of working and avoiding paying tax by receiving cash.

Let's not forget how many families have been waiting in the que's for years to immigrate to another country, only to be stuck in limbo while others get in by boat, walk, etc, etc, good on Thailand for taking a stance.  

I've always found the people in immigration to be helpful.  In Ratchaburi they are even friendly.  I imagine in some of the real busy offices they are too stressed out and would tend to be more curt.

It is a slap in the face of those of us who go to the trouble of doing everything correctly to allow those who do not to have nothing happen to them.

4 minutes ago, rwill said:

I've always found the people in immigration to be helpful.  In Ratchaburi they are even friendly.  I imagine in some of the real busy offices they are too stressed out and would tend to be more curt.

It is a slap in the face of those of us who go to the trouble of doing everything correctly to allow those who do not to have nothing happen to them.

It’s not always the case at Jomtien mainly because the place is too small, standing room only at times also people get irritated having to queue up outside in the heat and that’s when problems can arise.

THE IO Office should be in a larger more central area like where the Passport Office is in The Avenue.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

If they get rid of the chancers, scammers and con artists life will be easier for the genuine expat, I support their actions unreservedly.

If they can rid of all the scammers and con artists, there won't be any thais left in thailand

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...In your opinion, is Big Joke and immigration on the right track or are they being overzealous?..."

While it is the responsibility of the immigration division to regulate the flow of non-Thais in and out of Thailand and set reasonable guidelines for those who stay, the sheer number of news stories and their tone suggests another motive.

The daily (literally) barrage of stories about how "Foreigners" are taking Thai jobs, causing crime, insulting Thai culture, disrespecting Thai people, etc etc etc is straight out of the playbook of a far-right, authoritarian regime. The Junta's message, how they are the only ones that can 'protect' Thais from the evil foreigners, is the message that they want to campaign on, but as they depend on tourism they can't say it out loud. So, we hear the daily drumbeat of how Thais are under 'attack' (subtly) and that the military, represented by Prayut, will 'protect' the Thai people. Text book case...

It is sad; the reason I fell in love with Thailand many years ago was the welcoming attitude of the Thai people and the joyous focus on having fun. Nowadays, it seems like those beautiful aspects of Thai culture are being attacked and replaced with something much darker.

This 'debate' over immigration and the endless media attention ordered by the Junta is aimed at creating the 'us vs. them' mentality; the Junta hopes to ride this to some kind of electoral mandate.

Sad as hell to watch...

"................is straight out of the playbook of a far-right, authoritarian regime."

Although I agree with most of what you say, there have been many far-left authoritarian regimes who make this lot look like beginners.

I have no problem with enforcing immigration laws, but these seem to be very targeted raids to net publicity.   They also seem to be targeting certain races over others.

The raids are targeted as the authorities know where crime is centered. .What do African tourists do in Thailand? I have never seen one at a temple, museum, waterfall, adventure sport attraction, or pricy restaurant. Have you been accosted by a proper English girl openly selling sex/drugs on Sukhumvit road? Should Immigration Police go raid Afternoon Tea at the Grand Hyatt Erawan looking for overstayers?

“Big Joke” is on the right track. Thailand has all the laws needed just needs to be enforcerd and bravo the Police are not hamstrung by failed politically correct policies.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...In your opinion, is Big Joke and immigration on the right track or are they being overzealous?..."

While it is the responsibility of the immigration division to regulate the flow of non-Thais in and out of Thailand and set reasonable guidelines for those who stay, the sheer number of news stories and their tone suggests another motive.

The daily (literally) barrage of stories about how "Foreigners" are taking Thai jobs, causing crime, insulting Thai culture, disrespecting Thai people, etc etc etc is straight out of the playbook of a far-right, authoritarian regime. The Junta's message, how they are the only ones that can 'protect' Thais from the evil foreigners, is the message that they want to campaign on, but as they depend on tourism they can't say it out loud. So, we hear the daily drumbeat of how Thais are under 'attack' (subtly) and that the military, represented by Prayut, will 'protect' the Thai people. Text book case...

It is sad; the reason I fell in love with Thailand many years ago was the welcoming attitude of the Thai people and the joyous focus on having fun. Nowadays, it seems like those beautiful aspects of Thai culture are being attacked and replaced with something much darker.

This 'debate' over immigration and the endless media attention ordered by the Junta is aimed at creating the 'us vs. them' mentality; the Junta hopes to ride this to some kind of electoral mandate.

Sad as hell to watch...

???? Well said and the best post I have seen on this subject ever.

• Thanks 2

Who cares if he likes to showcase his arrests in a news conference ? This guy has made tremendous progress in a short period of time; both arresting undersirables who are illegal here and by stopping the “tipping” at Immigration . I for one would not mind being approached by immigration officer to show my legal status here.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's a worldwide phenomenon ????

I don't have a problem with anyone putting their views across, or taking action for whatever their reasons, actually if it is as you say, I applaud them, as they should have a say as to who they want to live in their country. Actually not giving visas is a smart way of getting rid of the trash that overstay, just have a look at the world today, there are a lot of gutless governments out there who have taken in lots of nationalities and, giving out visas and citizenships, only to find that their own people are against the intended integration as a lot of people do not assimilate, and weigh heavily on the social security system, on top of working and avoiding paying tax by receiving cash.

Let's not forget how many families have been waiting in the que's for years to immigrate to another country, only to be stuck in limbo while others get in by boat, walk, etc, etc, good on Thailand for taking a stance.  

Goes deeper than that as even very racist against their own. And the elites or self imposed ones, won't even go there. Yes over stayers should have sorted it out a long time ago. I am all for intelligent immigration but not per say having to have such large cash on hand and generally making it impossible for a Resident Visa. If USA played by that game, then there would be almost zero Thai over there.

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

There are three primary primary motives that I can see.  

One is normal publicity to show the people that you are doing the job and are seen to be doing the job in a diligent manner.  It serves the purpose of reassuring the population at large that immigration is finally taking its job seriously.  The second is for self-promotion to the people who will judge you and determine if you are to be promoted when the opportunity avails itself.  Neither is sinister.  

Two is to get the word out to all those that thought that the corrupt ways of the past are no longer acceptable (no tips sign).  

Three is to get the word out to all those that took advantage of the lax enforcement, corrupt, or non-enforcement of immigration laws.  Get legal, stay legal, or get out.  People that have used agents to get around the fact that they are not eligible, etc. or have not abided by the law and intent of the regulations and visas... should take it as duly warned.

Their job is to make immigration work for Thai citizens (as determined by the government), not to make it work for anyone that wants to reside here for any reason.  

Simply put, someone is taking their job seriously and many are feeling insecure...

All 3 assume Big Joke and the government are motivated principally to stop crime. If that's what you believe, your 3 motivations are reasonable. 

However, if we assume that, like so very many times in the past, the Thais are principally after improving the image of the country, and, as Big Joke goes, either in search of fame (read: Face) and/or money, then the 3 reasons would not hold. 

The Thais are masters at convincing new onlookers that they are genuine in their actions. That's their greatest national strength. 

41 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

Who cares if he likes to showcase his arrests in a news conference ? This guy has made tremendous progress in a short period of time; both arresting undersirables who are illegal here and by stopping the “tipping” at Immigration . I for one would not mind being approached by immigration officer to show my legal status here.

I am not judging you because I don't know you. However, your reply is typical of an endless stream of gullible Farang who

1) make no effort to take history into account when judging Thai perceived intentions and performance and

2) are predisposed to believing whatever a smiling face says to them 

It's no wonder there are so many thousands of gullible farang separated from their savings by farm girls with no education. 

In Thailand and with Thais, almost nothing is as it seems. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1

It' s a mix of both. The say "good guys in bad guys out" but it really is becoming "good guys out bad guys out". It never fails that the more they crackdown on criminals and illegal immigrants which they should, they also in turn make things more difficult for legal immigrants that are doing things honestly and contributing to the country. It's like they intentionally also send out a directive to all immigration officers to try to find ways to screw over or cause more problems for foreigners. It is amazing to me to see the number of good people come here and try to follow the letter of the law including myself who end up being shafted multiple times by immigration for no reason at all. I actually used to like this place years ago when I first came and every year it steadily got worse until I now grit my teeth every time I see an immigration officer and can't stand stepping foot in this country anymore. 

• Like 1

I'm here legally so I'm not overly concerned about him cracking down on those who aren't. That said, there are millions of Burmese and Cambodian irregular migrants here but that seems to be okay? 

It comes across as a crackdown on anyone non-asian looking. As someone said earlier - getting rid of the scammers and drug dealers is fine, but blanket detentions of people just because of the colour of their skin isn't. 

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

???? Well said and the best post I have seen on this subject ever.

Thailand is known as LOS, Land of Smiles, I very see anyone smile, the Thais have a hard life you don’t work you don’t eat, no social security here even if it means ‘selling’ yourself in a Bar or on the Net some thing the authorities turn a blind eye too.

I would say that the majority of Thai woman are looking for security even if it means having sex with some one more than twice their age hoping they will maybe eventually find some to enter into a long term relationship with them.

3 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

If their intentions are to take care of offenders and not targeting specific races and not using as a media grab. Would also like to see guidelines that stop (won’t happen) minimize internal corruption.

Too many snouts in the trough I think ?

9 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

And by a margin of almost 2:1, TVF members endorse Big Jokes actions, motion carried....next!

Considering latest survey where something like 70% of members are not even in Thailand but tourists , hardly a genuine indication , but rather righteous wanna be’s hoping to one day to have a chance to live in Thailand 

• Like 1