Some good news

banagan

34 minutes ago, Thailand said:

A little late to gloat, I wonder if the many Thai businesses that were/are catering to the Chinese share your elation.

As they spend very little and businesses I know want the good old happy days back (of 10 years ago) I don't think many will miss them.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2018 at 8:53 AM, BobBKK said:

As they spend very little and businesses I know want the good old happy days back (of 10 years ago) I don't think many will miss them.

Where do you base this statement on. Because its not true every study done by different Thai government and non government organization shows that the Chinese are the biggest spenders. And my wife operates a guesthouse and our cleaning lady can confirm this by the amount of empty packaging she gets out of Chinese rooms. Asian in general spend considerable more in the country than Western tourists.  Time always moves forward never backwards. And we can not claim this place as we are also visitors maybe a bit longer then the rest but still visitors. 

Edited by johnoko
  • Like 1

I think there is some truth to those numbers. Yesterday I took a trip through the Mae Rim tourist attractions; X Centre, Tiger Kingdom, Insect zoo, etc. All were dead. Saw only one Chinese tour bus and a couple of vans. Seem kinda sad visiting these venues when they're nearly empty. 

The Thai's love to complain about all Farang and Chinese but they fail to understand who pays for their rice and noodles.  They have treated the majority of Foreign 'Guests' badly for too many years and at last it's all coming back to bite their Rectum's.  Couldn't happen to a more worthy bunch in my opinion !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

You all think that you are different to the Chinese

I assume you must be Thai by the use of "you" in the quote above.  If so I will respect your opinion.

If however you are "Farang" then it should have been "we" in the quote above and, if so, enough said!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, johnoko said:

every study!!!!!

A very bold statement.  Please provide some independent sites/figures. 

I suggest you mean  "some selected Thai sponsored studies" etc. Also where are your "studies" quoting spending per person/per country etc rather than TOTAL spending by ALL Chinese.  Of course the totals will be bigger for China, there are more of them coming here after all.

My partner's business is definitely down by Chinese income/footfall counts compared to the last few months of last year.  

PS what has the amount of empty shopping wrappers of goods they are taking home got to do with it.

• Like 1

A lot of the Chinese Tourist who visit here

Their Package Tour is paid in China

They fly Chinese Airlines, Tour Buses/Vans, Hotels are mostly Chinese Owned

So most of the Tourist Baht is not used in Thailand

It is a well know fact that many Chinese come to Thailand to buy Products

I see this on Wechat, so i know this

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

A lot of the Chinese Tourist who visit here

Their Package Tour is paid in China

They fly Chinese Airlines, Tour Buses/Vans, Hotels are mostly Chinese Owned

So most of the Tourist Baht is not used in Thailand

It is a well know fact that many Chinese come to Thailand to buy Products

I see this on Wechat, so i know this

What are the products they come here to buy ?

12 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Oh look, it's the uneducated anti-racism troll saying derogatory things about Anglo Saxons. LOL.

Actually Throatwobbler makes a good point. In my country although I felt tolerance towards foreigners, I still preferred to live within a standard white community, or in other words, my own kind, and to me one foreigner was no different to any other foreigners. I couldn`t have cared if all the foreigners were gone the next day. Also locals that have been overwhelmed by tourists in their areas, whether Chinese or westerners, I am sure would prefer them to all be gone.

As expats, we are tolerated more than liked, but I`m sure to them Farang and Chinese are no different, just foreigners.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I assume you must be Thai by the use of "you" in the quote above.  If so I will respect your opinion.

If however you are "Farang" then it should have been "we" in the quote above and, if so, enough said!

I apolagise for my mistake in English. The you was meant to be for the people who live in a bubble and think that they are loved and adored by everyone. I do not live in that bubble hence the use of the word you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

Actually Throatwobbler makes a good point. In my country although I felt tolerance towards foreigners, I still preferred to live within a standard white community, or in other words, my own kind, and to me one foreigner was no different to any other foreigners. I couldn`t have cared if all the foreigners were gone the next day. Also locals that have been overwhelmed by tourists in their areas, whether Chinese or westerners, I am sure would prefer them to all be gone.

As expats, we are tolerated more than liked, but I`m sure to them Farang and Chinese are no different, just foreigners.

That is my point exactly. Some farang who live here seem to think that they are loved and complain when another set of foreigners move here. They do not get that they are foreigners too. Simple logic that is beyond the understanding of many.

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Go on....exactly how does that differ from the Brits going on holiday to Spain, we all booked via our local agent in our town and travelled on British Midlands Airways, Easyjet etc or a Wallis Arnold coach tour. When we got there we only wanted to drink beer and eat pie and chips from the local Red Lion British Pub and came home with a sombrero and a bloody 6ft donkey.

so, what is your point here???

I think his point is that it is ok when Westerners do it, example Spain or Mexico, but it is not ok when someone else does it.

21 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

A lot of Thais think the same about the farang  here. Hoping that they will stop visiting and life will be better like it was before.  You all think that you are different to the Chinese but in many people's eyes you are a plague too, Flame away from people who do not want to face the truth about how many people view them.

I'm reminded of this daily here.....but then again I no unnerstaan thai pee-pole and I tink too mutt!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

A very bold statement.  Please provide some independent sites/figures. 

I suggest you mean  "some selected Thai sponsored studies" etc. Also where are your "studies" quoting spending per person/per country etc rather than TOTAL spending by ALL Chinese.  Of course the totals will be bigger for China, there are more of them coming here after all.

My partner's business is definitely down by Chinese income/footfall counts compared to the last few months of last year.  

PS what has the amount of empty shopping wrappers of goods they are taking home got to do with it.

Every is indeed an offer statement http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand 

And one of the reasons might be that as Asian visitors most of the time come for shorter periods and pay far less for getting here, which leaves them with more money to spend. 

As the items which were in those boxes and wrappers were bought here in local stores. So it means that they spent the money at local shopping outlets.  

Edited by johnoko

1 hour ago, johnoko said:

Every is indeed an offer statement http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand 

And one of the reasons might be that as Asian visitors most of the time come for shorter periods and pay far less for getting here, which leaves them with more money to spend. 

As the items which were in those boxes and wrappers were bought here in local stores. So it means that they spent the money at local shopping outlets.  

Did you not notice that the Chinese even go to the beaches in clothes 

that they brought from China. They hardly ever buy at Thai marketplaces
and if they do it's only if they get a very very low price.

3 hours ago, marqus12 said:

Is that true of the Chinese who stay at The Four Seasons Resort and similar hotels whose occupancy is 70+% Chinese these days?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, marqus12 said:

Chinese do not stay in 100 bath dorm places and live on a bottle of water and a pad thai from the street. And yes they don't buy their stuff on the markets but go to shopping malls like Maya, Central festival and do not buy cheap copies at the night bazaar. And they don't take the cheap over night buses but fly to the beach. 

Edited by johnoko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 12:48 AM, cyberfarang said:

Back in the 1960s London, I was 15 years old and started my first job. I was a shop assistant in a hardware and household provisions shop.

The majority of our customers were black West Indian immigrants and back in those times fairly new to the country and I had not seen or dealt with those types of people before. I did not hate or despise them, it just all seemed so alien to me, like interacting with them and at the same time like being in a parallel society, I simply could not relate to them. But my boss told me, these people are our bread and butter and have to try our best to be civil and welcoming towards those people. 

Back then Britain was not a multi racial, multi cultural society as it has become today and Thailand is very similar in that respect to 1950s and 1960s Britain. This means that the Thais will show some superficial respect for foreigners especially in the tourist industry where foreigners are their income and living, but it doesn`t necessarily mean they really like us. 

After living in Thailand for several years I pay my way and most of the services I receive comes with a smile, but we never know the frames of minds behind those smiles. Probably the same wherever we are, it`s all a bluff and an act, but such is life and it really doesn`t bother me.

Most will not admit it, but they hate people not their own.

Yes, they give you fake smiles here.  Just like in Europe, the USA, etc.

That is the world.  Full of hate and racism.  Just stop the BS on this.

Like it or not, try to get thru each day and in your self/mind stay positive and move on.