Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

Thank you for the clarification. 

In Switzerland, where I currently reside, the law is very much like in Thailand. I have no idea how it is in the other 200 or so countries on planet earth, nor does it really matter as the discussion was about the inheritance of the money deposited in Thai bank accounts by foreigners with temporary permission to stay in Thailand. Wouldn't Thai law apply to that?

Sorry I thought the discussion was concerns people had about what would happen to their 800,000 should they die in Thailand & the point I was trying to make is that this would not automatically follow Estate Law and go to the relevant spouse/children outside of Thailand unless they wrote a Will in Thailand.

Or any other country for that fact - As an aside, it's a quirk of UK Law that Wills done in England & Wales (Maybe also NI) do not cover you for assets in Scotland so you need a separate Scottish Will covering these.

Regardless, I think we can agree that if you do have a "large" amount of money in any country (including your own) it makes sense to have a Will with instructions to ensure it's distributed as you would want it to be.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 8:55 PM, smedly said:

I called this a couple of weeks ago while the insults directed at the British were flying in thick and fast, perhaps a simple apology would be well deserved for the BE giving you all a heads up 

no comments lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I suppose they could be that foolish - but, so far, seem to have managed to resist shooting their citizens in the foot in that fashion.  Similar with Cambodia, Vietnam, and The PI, in this region - they aren't enacting policies to make their citizens poorer, at the behest of whatever corrupting influence. 

There is no logical explanation for removing self-sufficient foreigners spending foreign-capital into a nation's economy, unless they are engaged in criminal activity.

It makes sense to control how many self-sufficient foreigners spending foreign-capital (& how much foreign-capital they bring with them) as they drive up the cost of living & (unless you increase local salaries thus driving inflation & further driving up the cost of living) push down the standard of living for the locals.

It's a balancing act, hence Thailand is trying to ensure that retirees have the minimum assets/amount of spending that they believe injects foreign-capital into the appropriate "level" of the economy (i.e. "Middle Class" upwards).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Call the main office and ask to speak with the person in charge of direct deposit accounts for Americans and she will fix it for you.  I had a problem and called her from the bank where I was opening the account and gave her my phone and she talked to the manager and solved the problem in 5 minutes.  I think Pib who posts here knows her name but I've forgotten it. 

I don't understand, from your comment, just what problem I need fixed. Unless it is going to the bank in person each time I need to withdraw from the direct deposit account. And I fully believe this manager told me the correct info. So would you explain youre comment, for my benefit, please?

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It is premature to assume any income based application at all without an embassy letter will be accepted. Get real. We know what we know about the future for people trying income based applications without embassy letters. NOTHING. People need to WAIT. For what? Either a clear announcement from Thai immigration or if they don't do that, individual reports of actual applicants at the various offices. Not chats with random officers. Actual experiences. Again, TOO EARLY. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/faq-income-affidavit.pdf

The U.S. Mission in Thailand has been working with the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding deposits directly into Thai banks. The SSA recently notified us that it has approved Thailand to participate in the International Direct Deposit (IDD) program.

This will make proof of income easier. ????

IDD will be implemented beginning in the first quarter of 2019. More infor-

mation about IDD can be found at: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/faq-income-affidavit.pdf

The U.S. Mission in Thailand has been working with the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding deposits directly into Thai banks. The SSA recently notified us that it has approved Thailand to participate in the International Direct Deposit (IDD) program.

This will make proof of income easier. ????

IDD will be implemented beginning in the first quarter of 2019. More infor-

mation about IDD can be found at: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

When they provide it in Thai you might have a less chance than winning the lottery. 

6 minutes ago, inThailand said:

When they provide it in Thai you might have a less chance than winning the lottery. 

Why would they need to provide it in Thai?  Immigration can read English numbers as they do now from my bank book and my bank letter verifying deposit 800,000.

20 minutes ago, assayer said:

I don't understand, from your comment, just what problem I need fixed. Unless it is going to the bank in person each time I need to withdraw from the direct deposit account. And I fully believe this manager told me the correct info. So would you explain youre comment, for my benefit, please?

You wrote, "The next big drawback to this account is the length of time it takes to get it into effect, 2-3 months is what the branch manager told me today."

That's not correct it will open immediately. 

Latest from British consulate Bangkok - regarding TI latest rules.

Further to your enquire. There are two options to apply for a retirement visa;

British Nationals should now demonstrate that they have an amount of at least 800,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa

Monies can be verified by the Thai banks with which the account is held.

According to Thai Immigration’s website and the “Order of the Immigration Bureau No. 327/2557, Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand”, applicants  must have evidence of  an income of at least 65,000 THB per month or the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than 800,000 THB for the past three months.

Further information: www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Or 65K income stream-  Police Order 2014  or Combination of income  and deposit- Police Order 2014.

How do you continue with the combination method when the proof of income part no longer exists?

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

How do you continue with the combination method when the proof of income part no longer exists?

It exists in the police order of 2014-  the question remains if Thai Imm will go with what is actually written or they will have a different interpretation.

Since there are only 2 Embassies that will no longer provide an Income Letter after Jan 1 other Embassy letters appear to remain. It is hard for me to believe that Thai Imm would say= sorry no letter no income stream of 65K or Combo method. According to the Embassies UK/US- Thai Imm   said you have to verify the income.  Now both Embassies have thrown down the gauntlet and said-impossible.

My instincts tell me  that the big Imm offices like CM; CW; Jomtien/Pattaya Udon will give leeway as they will have the info from  the Commissioner .  Of course, Thai Imm can at some point issue a new Police order changing everything 

On 10/26/2018 at 12:28 AM, Nyezhov said:

Look at it this way, if you are getting MINIMAL social security ONLY of say $1500 a month (which is low for most folks with a lifetime of work)....

fyi according to money.usnews: "The average Social Security benefit was $1,413.37 per month in June 2018."

7 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

ay, "how else can we verify that you have this money coming INTO THAILAND". I know because I went and asked... 

Easily proved- your US or UK Bank Statement showing amounts  debited and location of the Thai ATM machines. Then you show them the Debit Cards.  Then you show them the ATM slips. They asked me the same question once- once they saw the debit cards- they accepted my explanation. Yes -I had the Embassy Letter at the time.

My question would be regarding the monthly income 'evidence' is that it would require not just monthly deposit slips, but that the source of the funds is some bona fide pension from social security, military, or a corporate source, etc. or is it just some miscellaneous income source like investment or rental property income that you might have one month but could possibly not exist the next.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

My question would be regarding the monthly income 'evidence' is that it would require not just monthly deposit slips, but that the source of the funds is some bona fide pension from social security, military, or a corporate source, etc. or is it just some miscellaneous income source like investment or rental property income that you might have one month but could possibly not exist the next.

US embassy says, "approved Thailand to participate in the International Direct Deposit (IDD) program. This will make proof of income easier."

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

US embassy says, "approved Thailand to participate in the International Direct Deposit (IDD) program. This will make proof of income easier."

That may be for US government programs such as military or Social Sec. but what about miscellaneous sources of income such as your savings or investment income or your monthly share from your ownership in a vegan juice bar by the beach.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Many people on "Retirement Extension" are not yet retired and don't have any kind of pension.

You just need to be 50 yo to get it.

Even among retirees, many don't have pension, just a big asset.

So they can put 800K baht in the bank.

• Like 1

I've been in Thailand for 5 years on non-imm O visas. With the recent "Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner" crackdowns and now this where there is no way to apply for a visa without putting 12,000-24,000 USD into a Thai bank, I'm going elsewhere. The combination of having to deposit money into a Thai bank, while at the same time police are going around door-to-door looking for reasons to deport foreigners, is just a clear sign that foreigners are not welcomed to stay here. Heck, I just learned that work visas and permits are being turned down, you can't even work here even if a Thai company wants you to. It's simply not sustainable. I am thinking of relocating to singapore since I'm at the point in my life where I am shopping around for the best place to raise a family. I think Thailand is scaring away the people who are more likely to work a normal job than they are scaring away the "bad guys out good guys in" motto.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1