map of where you live required for visa renewal

YES and a few weeks after getting my new RETIREMENT visa, they rang my wife, and told they were coming in 2 hrs. 2 cars 4 immigration police 2 male 2 female, very intimidating 1 grumpy obese male, 1 male stank of booze, 11 am. the two females were polite, i then had to show all my docs again, they took photos of everything, when i became understandably disgruntled, the obese one also wanted to know where I got MY money from ! i was threatened with having my visa revoked and deportation, i have lived legally here for 10 yrs.

As iv'e said a retirement visa. Then made to sit on the bed with my wife with my arm around her while they all took photos, also in the living room, all through this they did not take of there shoes ! you can't make this sh@t up.  Have a nice day everyone and welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1

Numerous reliable posters on other threads reporting this laughable request starting this year at CW Bangkok. So much so, that I've pre-drawn mine already for my extension in Dec. ???? Was gonna print it up from Google Maps, but didn't want to blow them away with such hi-tech! :vampire: 

• Like 1

For many years a Google map and a hand drawn map have been a part of my extension request package. I changed from Thai Wife to Retired last year but submitted both maps again, the IO gave them back to me. I have plenty of copies so will continue to include them in my package for retirement extension at CW in January.

Edited by asiaexpat
grammar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, overherebc said:

One main reason for maps rather than just house number and Soi number comes from the way house numbers are/were allocated.

If a plot was divided into 200 building plots then the first plot sold would get number 1. The second plot sold would get 2 even if it was 400 metres away on the same Soi, and so on, so the plot next to number 1, if sold last, would be number 200 so a map means that you don't have to check every plot number on the way down the Soi. ( The house next door to us is 20 different from ours. )

Not sure if this still happens in new builds/plots.

Sorry but i think your missing the point. Having to give them one is just intrusive on our lives, please read my comment of my experience , house numbers has nothing to do with it.

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry but i think your missing the point. Having to give them one is just intrusive on our lives, please read my comment of my experience , house numbers has nothing to do with it.

15 seconds out of your life to draw a map? Draw one and make some copies to take with you.

Buy a new fridge and they will ask for a map so they don't spend all day trying to find your house.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Was gonna print it up from Google Maps, but didn't want to blow them away with such hi-tech! :vampire: 

They gave me a ruler, I thought that was pretty high tech, considering I cant draw a straight line.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Its their country, and if they give you a choice of standing on your head and spitting nickels, or getting out, then you make the call.

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

when i became understandably disgruntled, the obese one also wanted to know where I got MY money from ! i was threatened with having my visa revoked and deportation, i have lived legally here for 10 yrs.

Should have offered them coffee and cookies instead of being "disgruntled".

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Numerous reliable posters on other threads reporting this laughable request starting this year at CW Bangkok. So much so, that I've pre-drawn mine already for my extension in Dec. ???? Was gonna print it up from Google Maps, but didn't want to blow them away with such hi-tech! :vampire: 

I draw a map with MS Powerpoint then print it. Seems like a good compromise, ????

I still have time to hand draw a map before my extension renewal late next year.   Wow....I just don't know how I'm going to be able to work such a project into my busy schedule.  

I wish I could have made a copy of the hand drawn map I provided at Bangkok Immigration about a month ago when renewing.   That request was out-of-the-blue....this was my 9th time of renewing my retirement extension there and they had never asked for one before.   I drew one over approx 2 minutes that I sincerely mean looked like some 5 year old kid had used finger paint to draw and the best map reader in the world couldn't have found my residence using that map.  But when I handed it to the immigration officer see glanced at it for maybe 1 second (definitely no more than 2 seconds) and then just stapled it to the other paperwork in my application package.   About 15 minutes later I'm walking out the immigration with another yearly approval.

You know, I just thought the time I took to write the post I could have made that map for next year.  Yea, I really need to manage my time better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

have had to produce one for the last couple of years and they dont accept a hand drawn one, has to be a a printed google map so they can understand it, also has to have the co-ordinates listed on the map

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

I wish I could have made a copy of the hand drawn map I provided at Bangkok Immigration about a month ago when renewing. 

I have been using a copy of one that a immigration officer did after my wife's attempt at doing one for several years now. I took the hint that we could do that after he made copy and gave it to us. A scan of it is in a folder with all the other things I need for my extensions. Just open them and print them.

On 10/31/2018 at 8:51 AM, Andycoops said:

I have had to supply a map showing my home and the route to the Immigration office for the last 10 years up in Roi Et for my annual extn. 

For the same address?

A new one every year?

48 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Never asked me in the past 5 years extending in Bangkok 

If doing your extension based on retirement (as with the OP situation) according to reports here they will from now on if they haven't before.

For extension based on marriage they have always wanted it from us and everyone i know so if they haven't in that situation with you then that is also strange.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, gilo said:

is the map still required for the retirement extension at CW and if so, must it be hand-drawn or any preference as to what map type they require? Many thanks. 

Folk report of it still being required at CW.

personally I have for last few years just provided a printed map of flyer from my condo complex photocopied and thats accepted. 

The map only needs to include dwelling to closest main intersection. 

On 10/30/2018 at 9:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have been using a copy of a map that was done several years ago for my extensions without any questions since I have not changed addresses since it was done.

Trat; (as with everything) 2 hand, drawn, maps on reverse copies of other peoples info, while they watch, stamped and sign both. 4 years at least. Had my house visit yesterday, photos taken again and the lone IO whinging to my wife about how he just had to pay 20k to get his truck repaired no BMW for him.

2 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

First, to demean the foreigner with a child like task.

Secondly, and most importantly, to introduce some greyness into the required documents so that there is an easy point to knock back an application and obtain tea money.

You've just won the internet for this week.

• Haha 1

Yes, I was told to do the same at Bangkok Div 1 in Oct 2021 for non o visa. Despite already having printed a map from Google and photos of the outside of building.

Of course I questioned...Why? I'm only going to copy it badly from the Google map, she just pushed a piece of paper at me.

I drew it freehand, it was <deleted>, the IO showed it to her colleagues, it was passed around and they all had a good laugh.

2 weeks ago at a visa agent in Pattaya for visa renewal.

I mentioned this to her and she smiled and laughed, she said "we don't need to do that".

So I guess it's all just part of getting the foreigners to jump through the hoops.