Anywhere in town for a chat?

mrblonde

Am due out next week and meeting an old friend in town, who loves a chat and to swap stories of travels, so any recommendations of cafes/bars/beer bars where theres a few westerners who can hold their own in a conversation?  Going to avoid the usual 'uggs' and grunts from the shirtless neanderthals in Walking Street at 2am, any where a bit more 'refined'? (I know, 'refined' and Pattaya very rarely in the same sentence)  ????

there are many bars in the soi Buakhouw area- where lots of tourists from the UK seem to congregate..

i dont go to bars in the day time, but many of the men in bars along beach road, look 'lonely'. ????

i find foreigners in go go bars are seldom, not always, capable of 'having a conversation'?

i think most people are more interested in their phones, these days--not conversation.....very sad...

there are plenty of lovely ladies available,who would like to talk to you...the conversation is very standard...

if you buy them a drink, you will get more than--just talk...

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Our small hotel had free coffee and tea in the lobby. Usually a few random guests having a chat and open to others joining the conversation as it rolled on with a shifting cast. BYOB.

I guess some members may just start walking into "random small hotels" looking for the particular one you mention?      Or you could have provided a name?  ????

2 hours ago, murraynz said:

there are many bars in the soi Buakhouw area- where lots of tourists from the UK seem to congregate..

i dont go to bars in the day time, but many of the men in bars along beach road, look 'lonely'. ????

i find foreigners in go go bars are seldom, not always, capable of 'having a conversation'?

i think most people are more interested in their phones, these days--not conversation.....very sad...

there are plenty of lovely ladies available,who would like to talk to you...the conversation is very standard...

if you buy them a drink, you will get more than--just talk...

A lot of these ladies and even the ones along Beach Road are glued to their phones.

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Cant you and your friend talk to each other? Why do you need a third party? And why do you think that anyone refined would want to have strangers come up and talk to him for no reason?

This from Pattaya's resident Greta Garbo...

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I don't see why you should not be civil with them

I am polite, telling them the truth: I prefer to be on my own. 

Further more, mostly I don't understand them as

my English is a school English, not very elaborate, and I

don't understand the different dialects mostly spoken. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey, you are looking for something positive on this issue, but good luck.

I have lived here now for almost 3 years.  Starting up a conversation with people who do not know you can be an odd experience.

Very defensive people.  Over the time I have been here I think too many possibly have something to hide.

Ask some where they are from and get weird about it.

I do not even try anymore because you answer honestly and mostly get back some smart A response.

Unfortunately we kind of live in a world of hate now.  Sad but I think true....

Even people who are supposed life time allies (Brits and Americans) seem to have some hate for each other I do not get why it has come to this....

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am polite, telling them the truth: I prefer to be on my own. 

Further more, mostly I don't understand them as

my English is a school English, not very elaborate, and I

don't understand the different dialects mostly spoken. 

Yes, I understand that, If someone approached me speaking in a sort of broken English, and I had a problem understanding them, I would just tell them so, and ask them politely just to move on.

there are networks of scruffy looking rough ngo's who are sent to the tourist areas of Thailand on all expenses paid visits.

their mission is to obtain information from foreigners. they know nothing of the culture and talk stupid. that is why people need to be careful about talking to strangers. we all like to meet new people. that is the fun of travel.

I feel this is a good time to "out" myself: I am not a native English speaker! Shame on me. I learned my English at school (something like "Queen's English" and later on plenty of "American English".)
- Thanks to British "Colonialisation", English is the "World-Language". Good so! Or is it?

Everytime I spend some time in the melting pot of Pattaya, I am amazed of the many slangs and different vocabularies that are now called "English". Even on this Forum, typical slang (expressions), no Amercican has ever heard before (and vice-versa, I suppose.)
I must confess: The higher the Alcohol intake and the louder the live-band plays in the background, the less I am capable of understanding the 77 different kinds of English.

At this stage, I always make sure that the 45 year old "mama-san" at the Bar is near me. She has been enjoying free nightly English lessons for the last 25 years. Familiar with all variations of the English language, functioning as a perfect translator in case I do not understand my English speaking counterpart anymore.
------------------------------
Back on Topic: It should not be a problem in Pattaya to find nice people to have a nice talk. Not necessary to organise a "Pow-Wou" beforehand, just ending-up playing Bridge in the end (forbidden).

- I have made it a rule not to engage in a lively conversation with a Farang him displaying wrinkled Tatoos, exhaling a combination of Beer and Onion-Breath, his remaining hair not having been disturbed by Shampoo in a long time and offering me the deal of a lifetime.
Be selective!
Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, swissie said:

I feel this is a good time to "out" myself: I am not a native English speaker! Shame on me. I learned my English at school (something like "Queen's English" and later on plenty of "American English".)
- Thanks to British "Colonialisation", English is the "World-Language". Good so! Or is it?

Everytime I spend some time in the melting pot of Pattaya, I am amazed of the many slangs and different vocabularies that are now called "English". Even on this Forum, typical slang (expressions), no Amercican has ever heard before (and vice-versa, I suppose.)
I must confess: The higher the Alcohol intake and the louder the live-band plays in the background, the less I am capable of understanding the 77 different kinds of English.

At this stage, I always make sure that the 45 year old "mama-san" at the Bar is near me. She has been enjoying free nightly English lessons for the last 25 years. Familiar with all variations of the English language, functioning as a perfect translator in case I do not understand my English speaking counterpart anymore.
------------------------------
Back on Topic: It should not be a problem in Pattaya to find nice people to have a nice talk. Not necessary to organise a "Pow-Wou" beforehand, just ending-up playing Bridge in the end (forbidden).

- I have made it a rule not to engage in a lively conversation with a Farang him displaying wrinkled Tatoos, exhaling a combination of Beer and Onion-Breath, his remaining hair not having been disturbed by Shampoo in a long time and offering me the deal of a lifetime.
Be selective!
Cheers.

If you meet a Brit spouting Brexit taking back control nonsense  - give them a wide berth as they have just outed themselves as a misguided , cannon-fodder faux patriotic idiot.  If they mention George Soros run a mile , and then one more. Have a nice holiday with your friend.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

If you meet a Brit spouting Brexit taking back control nonsense  - give them a wide berth as they have just outed themselves as a misguided , cannon-fodder faux patriotic idiot.  If they mention George Soros run a mile , and then one more. Have a nice holiday with your friend.

Yea right 

On 11/2/2018 at 5:09 PM, watcharacters said:

I guess some members may just start walking into "random small hotels" looking for the particular one you mention?      Or you could have provided a name?  ????

Nobody names anything, but:  Hillside Hotel Pratamnak SoI 2. Changed management and I moved into a condo a couple sois over, so can't speak for current activity. I was giving an example that he might look to his or another nearby hotel that has a mix of residents and guests. 

If you want a chat with a stranger it's not easy unless you drink in the bars. There are some social meeting groups online for local expats that have regular weekly coffees etc.