Forum very slow and pages not loading

balo

Grrrrrr

The slow loading of pages just cost me a lot of money.

I saw a tread just opened by a guy named Ahmed who offered to deposit money directly to my account, while I was waiting for the reply box to load and send Ahmed the ID and password to my bank account the tread was deleted . :tongue:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, balo said:

Maybe we can have an explanation from the tech guys how they fixed it?  

"We did nothing It just happened"

We too would like to know what was done, particularly as the timing isn't exactly conducive to the techies being outside the pub.

Problems which just go away scare me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

We too would like to know what was done, particularly as the timing isn't exactly conducive to the techies being outside the pub.

Problems which just go away scare me.

Somebody kicked the server. Always used to work for me.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Ah the "rubber hammer technique" (a fist thump or kick is sooo uncouth), TVs and radar certainly used to respond well.

Actually, literally true. I used to maintain a particularly sensitive piece of electronic equipment. It had very high foot traffic and long queues would form with people waiting to use it. Always happened at lunchtime and people couldn't leave the building and go for lunch without using it. I would attend the scene with a rubber hammer and hit it in it's "sweet spot", it then fired up to loud cheers from everyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Or some deal got closed... Works even better. Don't overestimate the importance of technology, most big IT disasters are caused by humans...

I didn't know that humans worked in IT. Not in my experience.

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Actually, literally true. I used to maintain a particularly sensitive piece of electronic equipment. It had very high foot traffic and long queues would form with people waiting to use it. Always happened at lunchtime and people couldn't leave the building and go for lunch without using it. I would attend the scene with a rubber hammer and hit it in it's "sweet spot", it then fired up to loud cheers from everyone.

Was it a calibrated hammer?

A 14 lb sledgehammer is the ultimate resort. Electronic equipment seem to be able to sense that coming around.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps somebody kicked the Techies instead. That always worked for me.

You wouldn't get away with that with a Thai techie. He'd bring 6 of his mates to work with him the next day.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Was it a calibrated hammer?

A 14 lb sledgehammer is the ultimate resort. Electronic equipment seem to be able to sense that coming around.

If a bang with a hammer doesn't fix it, the "fix" is to get a bigger hammer.

• Like 1

It is funny (not ha ha ha funny), some times it loads fast and some times it takes forever.

Also when it takes a long time i click stop on the browser and then click on the link and it loads almost immediately, I wonder why that is, perhaps it looks for an other gateway on the second click? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Came as quite a shock, I thought I'd been given a holiday again.

Well we all have, effectively. In my previous job, "outages" had to be performed overnight, to reduce inconvenience to the customer. Had to be back on line before 8am, under pain of death.

Sounds like TV will be migrating during the day. TiT.

12 hours? Anyone taking bets?

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Well we all have, effectively. In my previous job, "outages" had to be performed overnight, to reduce inconvenience to the customer. Had to be back on line before 8am, under pain of death.

12 hours? Anyone taking bets?

What's going to be used to check the time - a watch or a calendar?

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Reading the notice it appears it is going to be done at night.

Thai Visa service will be migrated to new host from Thursday at 9:00pm onwards, we expect it to take around 12 hours to migrate, during this time the forum will be offline.

But it may not be finished by Friday morning.

• Thanks 1

Credit to them they have fixed it, yes it took a while

Now why on earth are going to mess around with something thats taken 6 weeks to fix, Its either going to be"mindlowingly better or much cheaper, I guess we see in due course, in fullness of time, eventually....etc 

10 minutes ago, poohy said:

Now why on earth are going to mess around with something thats taken 6 weeks to fix, Its either going to be"mindlowingly better or much cheaper, I guess we see in due course, in fullness of time, eventually....etc 

Perhaps TVF owners purse got a hole eaten in it by moths and some money that they didn't know they had fell out, so rather than pay tax on it they decided to upgrade to a new server.

:sorry:

2 hours ago, poohy said:

But it's not fixed, there is a "Temporary Forum Outage" planned for tomorrow.  And we all know what that means........   :angry:

13 minutes ago, balo said:

But it's not fixed, there is a "Temporary Forum Outage" planned for tomorrow.  And we all know what that means........   :angry:

But it is fixed. IMHO it's working better now than at any other time during my short time on the forum.

Obviously the Techies feel the need to unfix it. Probably worried about running out of work/their jobs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

But it is fixed. IMHO it's working better now than at any other time during my short time on the forum.

Obviously the Techies feel the need to unfix it. Probably worried about running out of work/their jobs.

Yup, job security !!

There’s a saying “ if it’s not broke, break it “ ( or something like that ) [emoji51]
  • Like 1