Northem part visit

jphasia

Whilst in Chiang Mai a visit to the ROYAL PARK RAJAPRUCK is a must - if you like beautiful gardens of various descriptions. It is situated to the south of the city near Hang Dong off route 121 (the ring road) and adjacent to the Chiang Mai Night Safari. There are several acres to explore and if you should tire there is a free shuttle minibus which you can hop on or off at your leisure. Golf buggies can be hired.

Edited by Burma Bill
correction
  • Like 1

If you're going to Pai, consider continuing to Mae Hong Son to see the sunflowered covered mountain of Bung Tua Thong.  Narrow window of opportunity and this is it.
index.jpeg.c1276d19ab88c12bb375f1cad5355289.jpeg
Due to short time, i will only do Pai this time. I will do Mae Hong Son next time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jphasia said:

Due to short time, i will only do Pai this time. I will do Mae Hong Son next time.

Mae Hong Son isn't much without the flowers....

There is a longneck village near there - pretty much for display, trinkets, photo only.....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jphasia said:

I think I will stick to Chiang Dao, Pai and back to Chiangmai. That should be enough for these few days.

I think that's a good decision.

The attraction of Pai is the drive to/from it and the night time atmosphere  - day time is very quiet - it's set in a lovely valley but has no real attractions itself.

No. 1 attraction around is Tham Lot Cave, about 40 minutes south of Pai in Soppong, Pang Mapha district; the turning on your right coming from Pai; it is very easy to miss it. You will pass Cave Lodge Resort  just before arriving at the cave - stop for food drinks there AFTER the cave. At the park you hire a guide (with lantern), you MUST hire a guide (you’d get lost in the cave without) – you have 2 options, go and back through the cave on the raft or go through the cave and walk back through the woods, the guide will prefer the former but as you have a thai reader with you (theres a sign on a tree to read to go back the correct way back - see below) go for the latter (unless walking isn’t easy for you), you’ll be glad you did. Also bring some torches, the guide's one lantern isn’t really enough for your safety when in the cave. You’ll all climb on to a small bamboo raft barely above the shallow water…think about your footwear…you’ll be on and off the raft and climbing through caves.

You’ll get on and off the raft on the river which runs through the cave and be taken in the dark to see points of interest. There’s lots of climbing up and down poorly made staircases…very physically demanding for the young, old and not fit. Our kids enjoyed it but struggled a bit. When you get to the end of the cave it comes out in to beautiful woods, you walk back (20 minutes) or return on the raft back through  the cave to the point you entered. In case for what ever reason the guide doesn’t walk back with you, note carefully that you will walk about 5 minutes from the river, the trail continues straight but you will take a left branch off the trial back to the park entrance area…I think the branch off was signposted…if you walk more than 15 minutes from the river without branching off left then I suggest you backtrack to the correct trail. Nice walk back through the woods.

Tham Lot cave is huge and a MUST SEE.

• Like 1

I think that's a good decision.

The attraction of Pai is the drive to/from it and the night time atmosphere  - day time is very quiet - it's set in a lovely valley but has no real attractions itself.

No. 1 attraction around is Tham Lot Cave, about 40 minutes south of Pai in Soppong, Pang Mapha district; the turning on your right coming from Pai; it is very easy to miss it. You will pass Cave Lodge Resort  just before arriving at the cave - stop for food drinks there AFTER the cave. At the park you hire a guide (with lantern), you MUST hire a guide (you’d get lost in the cave without) – you have 2 options, go and back through the cave on the raft or go through the cave and walk back through the woods, the guide will prefer the former but as you have a thai reader with you (theres a sign on a tree to read to go back the correct way back - see below) go for the latter (unless walking isn’t easy for you), you’ll be glad you did. Also bring some torches, the guide's one lantern isn’t really enough for your safety when in the cave. You’ll all climb on to a small bamboo raft barely above the shallow water…think about your footwear…you’ll be on and off the raft and climbing through caves.
You’ll get on and off the raft on the river which runs through the cave and be taken in the dark to see points of interest. There’s lots of climbing up and down poorly made staircases…very physically demanding for the young, old and not fit. Our kids enjoyed it but struggled a bit. When you get to the end of the cave it comes out in to beautiful woods, you walk back (20 minutes) or return on the raft back through  the cave to the point you entered. In case for what ever reason the guide doesn’t walk back with you, note carefully that you will walk about 5 minutes from the river, the trail continues straight but you will take a left branch off the trial back to the park entrance area…I think the branch off was signposted…if you walk more than 15 minutes from the river without branching off left then I suggest you backtrack to the correct trail. Nice walk back through the woods.
Tham Lot cave is huge and a MUST SEE.
Thanks. I will consider this cave.

Here is a video from my trip

Yesterday - I know it will be unbelievable busy during Loy Krathong and new year - but Mon Chaem is not really far from the city and staying overnight there in tents or the bungalows is certainly an adventure - plenty of cafes there as well and food can be ordered in most places until 9 or 10PM.

Strawberries on sale all the way up on the road side.

[/url] 

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ups.....I think there is one cafe less now - I just heard there was a big fire with a place burning down 2 days ago! Hope nobody was hurt - don’t think they have firefighters up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/17/2018 at 11:25 AM, jphasia said:

Make that a separate trip next year at this time frame.  Fly into Mae Hong Song, rent a car and tour the mountains of Mae Hong Song province and far western Chiang Mai province  You can burn up a week just doing that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who contributed and advised me on this topic. I am just back from this trip and it was great. From Chiangmai airport, after getting the car, we went straight to a resort close to Mon Chaem where we arrived around 17h00. The resort is isolated in the mountain, with an impressive view. We could then enjoy the sunset, having a nice dinner and few beers, a good sleep. Woke up early the next morning to enjoy the sunrise, having a good breakfast and took the car again to Pai. We stopped in several locations on the way, enjoying the scenery, having some food... and reached Pai around 16h00 where we check-in in a nice resort (Pai Village) next to the walking street. Had some rest, enjoying the walking street, foods... The next day visiting one view point early in the morning, then just going around Pai visiting hot springs, Big Buddha, memorial bridge and so on. back in the resort in the evening. Then on Saturday, back to Chiangmai, leaving Pai before 10h00, stopped in few places, and check-in in Chiangmai hotel around 16h30. Time enough to rest, having dinner, walking around Chiangmai city, walking street, few beers. 

Yes, Pai is touristic but for my point of view, it is nice small town and to be visit despite the number of tourists.

The only issue we had, but not big issue is that our flight back to Yangon was scheduled at 12h05 on Sunday but was delayed due to technical problem. We took off at 18h30 instead! So, we had to spend all our Sunday afternoon in Chiangmai airport, Bangkok Airways lounges, with free foods and drinks provided. But not a big deal for us as we were not on rush.