Poll shows almost half feel they are not better off after 4 years under junta

webfact

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Correct. But some people like to pretend the poll results that support their own views must be right whereas one's that don't must be wrong.

The simlie with a broken clock holds no logic.

OK

Never mind.

Edited by HalfLight

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

So the songs didn't do it then. ????

Which song?  The RAP song was well received but long overdue. 

50% ish ?   Trying talking to people in the north or north east.  Even my die hard yellow friends what to see the junta gone.  Must have been a Bangkok poll. 

It is time for the ultanationalist, wet blankets to return to their bases.  The country needs far more freedom than the current over sensitive police state. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Hate to rain on your parade, but any poll worth it's salt would have had at least 3 opinions to vote for:

1. Better off

2. Worse off.

3. The same as before.

Might not have been the majority but was probably the strongest vote. The report would likely not have written had that choice been the lowest polling.

27 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you know if it was the strongest vote; or what the choices were and the percentages?

But it suits your agenda to say is was probably the strongest of course. 

Jayboy makes an observation about the veracity of NIDA polls.

All the information is in the linked article, for example ...

Compared to similar opinion poll conducted in May, 27.69 percent of the respondents said they were much happier; 46.85 percent said they were as happy as they used to be and 25.46 percent said they were less happy.

58 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Eric, less than half felt they were not better off. You do realize less than half isn't the majority don't you?

Did you bother reading the article?

"47.68 percent of the respondents said they felt they were as happy as they used to be they didn’t see anything changes for the better to their livelihood, saying that the economic situation remains unchanged but the cost of living is still high.

30.64 percent of the respondents, however, said they were less happy because of the rising cost of living, restriction of freedom and liberty as well as inefficient law enforcement and law amendments which do not address problems at their root causes.

21.20 percent of the respondents said they were much happier under the current government because of improvement in peace and order, less corruption and several populist schemes for the grassroots people."

So in total 78.32% of those polled said life was no better or in fact worse than it was before the Junta took over.

Which part of Thailand do you live in?

There is tremendous pressure put on people via the local Pu Yai's and administrations who are incentivized to deliver block village / area votes. People are paid a small amount, transported to and from voting centers, told their village / area will only get money spent on it if they all vote for X. The peer pressure is enormous and no one wants to criticize or speak out of turn.

Of course all parties do it - which is why there are so many regional parties in the hands of local "barons" and their families. Plays on the old feudal loyalties.

This happens less in the big cities and as younger people are becoming better educated, more challenging and fed up with the old crony, corrupt, inefficient, system. So there is some hope, but long way off.

If you doubt that, climb out of your ivory tower, and get yourself out and about. 

All the evidence confirms that ballots are secret and Thai voters can vote as they choose.That is not speculation but fact.

I have never denied there is social pressure of various kinds including feudal attitudes ( oh the irony ) which are hard to quantify.

The question therefore is whether these intangibles have the heft to affect election results.I don’t think it can be reasonably claimed that they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

It is very hard to trust polls these days. Everyone has an agenda. Who commisioned the poll, what is the political slant of the polling company and the people reporting the results. As they say, you can get any answer you want depending on the way you ask/frame the question.  

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

How strange, I get the same comments about the Shin clan and their puppet parties. No one likes them either but the more North you go they more intimidated they feel.

And that's the sad part. Thais know what both lot are, but don't feel they can do anything to change it.

Hmm, elections have consistently shown that they are very popular. And judging all the machinations currently going on, the Junta seem to agree with this. Again, people that think they aren't popular across the board, are not really having their eyes open, or only want to see what suits. The intimidation story is just that, a fairy tale. Intimidation is what is currently going on. 

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Hmm, elections have consistently shown that they are very popular. And judging all the machinations currently going on, the Junta seem to agree with this. Again, people that think they aren't popular across the board, are not really having their eyes open, or only want to see what suits. The intimidation story is just that, a fairy tale. Intimidation is what is currently going on. 

Or, everything just might rely on that old adage:

Everything You Know Is Wrong. 

Perspectives, Punditry, Connections, Knowledge, etc. are almost always designed befitting the favour of agendas that have been conditioned forcibly, less a naturally learned process.

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Which song?  The RAP song was well received but long overdue. 

50% ish ?   Trying talking to people in the north or north east.  Even my die hard yellow friends what to see the junta gone.  Must have been a Bangkok poll. 

It is time for the ultanationalist, wet blankets to return to their bases.  The country needs far more freedom than the current over sensitive police state. 

The songs Prayut wrote to bring happiness back to the Thai people,  that's what I'm talkin about. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jayboy said:

It's a NIDA poll so whatever it says is suspect. Even a stopped clock tells the right time occasionally.

The rule of thumb still applies - anything from NIDA is not to be relied upon.

Indeed Nida always sway in favour of the Junta so we should probably assume the percentage is much higher than 47%

• Like 1

Sure Sjaak i too heard about intimidation from a friend with relatives up north. Not recently but around the time of the red villages.

But of course you just don't like to hear stuff like this. People got visited told that if not enough PTP votes from their village certain funds would not be paid to the village.

The current mob intimidates more but to claim the PTP did not do so is untrue. I have to say i have no idea how wide spread this was as i haven't heard it more then that time but on the other hand its not a normal conversation topic.

Yes the PTP is popular you know the saying in the land of the blind ......

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I have many Thai friends who all say pay/salary/income has stagnated over the last 4 years while shops, goods, and services prices have all escalated !

As a side note a very wealthy property developer in Bangkok who also has a huge new Condo development very near to Hua Hin has just been reported to the Labour ministry again by it's Myanmar workers for refusing to pay even the Thai minimum wage of 315 baht per day

He's been paying them only 240 baht per day as slave labour... he now has to attend a court hearing and if he doesn't pay correctly his property will be seized and sold to cover the costs...

240 baht for a 12 hour day... !!!!

The man is a multi billion baht property developer.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure Sjaak i too heard about intimidation from a friend with relatives up north. Not recently but around the time of the red villages.

But of course you just don't like to hear stuff like this. People got visited told that if not enough PTP votes from their village certain funds would not be paid to the village.

The current mob intimidates more but to claim the PTP did not do so is untrue. I have to say i have no idea how wide spread this was as i haven't heard it more then that time but on the other hand its not a normal conversation topic.

My point is, the people aren't blind, they vote for the person that they believe will advance the society and their own interest the quickest. And Thaksin did advance the nation, there is really no denying. 

How different things are now, the difference between the haves and the haves not has skyrocketed under the Junta. When this was in the news, no-one was really surprised. The junta does only care for the people that control them, the normal Thai citizen is not on their radar at all. At least with Thaksin, these people did advance. This explains his electoral popularity. Far more than the fairy tales of pressure. Under Thaksin, elections were secret. No fingerprinting ballots, like they did with the referendum on the constitution a few years back. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robblok said:

Works the same all over Thailand and in fact the World but in the end people can vote which ever way they choose as long as the ballot box is secure.