Riding in right lane

I was just in the car with my girlfriend where there was a tourist riding her bike in the right most lane, going maybe 60km/hour and there was a car a tailgating right behind her trying to get her out of the lane. My girlfriend says it's illegal for motorbikes to ride in the right most lane so it's partially her own fault if she gets hit. I guess in their mind a person dying is a small price to pay for not having to slow down (gasp!)

I've been curious for a long time so I should ask, Is that really the law here? All things being equal it's best to stay left but it would be totally untenable for it to be illegal given the number of possible exceptions that could occur at any given time (passing, u-turn, blocked left lane, bad road conditions etc...).

• Like 1

For that I don't know the rule.

But I have read repeatedly read that motorcycle riders have been fined for driving on the right lane at Sukhumvit Bangkok. So why should it be limited to Bangkok?

Tailgating a motorcycle where two lanes are available?

So stupid.

It's not forbidden to undertake when there a two or more lanes in same direction.

Just that the exact rule is: flash the lights and wait for the vehicle ahead to use right indicator. Typically before a U-turn or right turn.

But who follows this rule :whistling:

Still there is an obligation to drive on the left.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, genericptr said:

My girlfriend says it's illegal for motorbikes to ride in the right most lane so it's partially her own fault if she gets hit.

I don't think the police would see it that way especially if it was a Thai person on a motorcycle and was wanting to turn right.

• Thanks 1

There's hardly any such motorcycle-specific rule. What are you supposed to do if you're gonna make a U-turn? Pull over to the side of the road and do one of those crazy maneuvers where you cross all lanes to get to the U-turn?

I do plenty of riding in the left lane when it is warranted, and have never been pulled over for it. As long as you keep with the flow of traffic, there's hardly anything wrong or dangerous about it.

13 hours ago, Myran said:

There's hardly any such motorcycle-specific rule. What are you supposed to do if you're gonna make a U-turn? Pull over to the side of the road and do one of those crazy maneuvers where you cross all lanes to get to the U-turn?

I've seen lots of motocy doing that, even pulling to the left lane to make a right turn.

Don't know if it's law though, or an inbuilt safety mechanism (which most Thais don't seem to posses)

20 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:
13 hours ago, Myran said:

20 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I've seen lots of motocy doing that, even pulling to the left lane to make a right turn.

Don't know if it's law though, or an inbuilt safety mechanism (which most Thais don't seem to posses)

In my experience (5 years worth), it is very rare to see a motorcyclist carry out right turn in what, we in the developed world, would regard as the correct matter. They nearly always pull over to the left and wait for a gap. Not too risky on a single carriageway, but very dangerous on a fast multi-lane highway.

It is not the law. My wife did an official riding course at a well known school in Udon Thani and there they were taught to do it the correct way. (as we understand it)

I've just asked Madam Moon why they do it this way and she doesn't know why. It seems to be one those many habits that they have learned from their elders and, unless they are taught differently in later years, they just carry on doing.

• Thanks 1

In my experience (5 years worth), it is very rare to see a motorcyclist carry out right turn in what, we in the developed world, would regard as the correct matter. They nearly always pull over to the left and wait for a gap. Not too risky on a single carriageway, but very dangerous on a fast multi-lane highway.

It is not the law. My wife did an official riding course at a well known school in Udon Thani and there they were taught to do it the correct way. (as we understand it)

I've just asked Madam Moon why they do it this way and she doesn't know why. It seems to be one those many habits that they have learned from their elders and, unless they are taught differently in later years, they just carry on doing.

Yeah, my girlfriend used to do it as well, until I somehow managed to convince her it's much safer to speed up a bit (to keep with the trafic flow) and move over to the right lane, whereupon you can safely make the turn.

• Like 1

If you are not passing another vehicle you have to drive in the very left lane.

But this law is only enforced for motorcycles and also only in some regions ????

Very hard as a motorbike rider to use the left lane dedicated to this mode of transport because of the Me Me attitude of 4 wheel drivers who thinks its theirs to use to overtake the other 2 lanes.

not many capable of safe driving in this country, but it is not the only one.

some things just beg belief though

e.g. accelerating to avoid being overtaken, had that this morning as I was taking slip road to enter tollway, they tried to send me into the concrete

I have always had an open mind but now beleive that it is to do with small penis

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

But I have read repeatedly read that motorcycle riders have been fined for driving on the right lane at Sukhumvit Bangkok. So why should it be limited to Bangkok?

So stupid.

It's not forbidden to undertake when there a two or more lanes in same direction.

Just that the exact rule is: flash the lights and wait for the vehicle ahead to use right indicator. Typically before a U-turn or right turn.

Flash your lights at a Thai motorist you chance a shooting, stabbing or a beating. A friend of mine was threatened with a gun, some guy in a Benz didn't like being "flashed".

yup and well understood, same goes for beeping.

it is perfectly understandable why someone would hit and run in a country like this

even a fender bender its not worth exiting the vehicle until police and insurance arrive, sudddenly someone thinks you are questioning the length of their member

27 minutes ago, manchega said:

yup and well understood, same goes for beeping.

Flashing the lights and honking the horn are two different matters.

It's completely usual that lights are flashed to signal "here I go", "here I come".

It's recommended to flash the lights when moving to the opposite lane when overtaking.

Also oncoming traffic will use it if you peek to the opposite lane.

Especially in the night it can be a life saver (when another "unlighted object" comes your way).

Honking: never do it in an "aggressive style"/express anger, to claim way of right or the like with a long honk.

NEVER.

Only a short honk as last resort to avoid a collision (or wakeup the driver in front after 5 seconds of green at the light :biggrin:).

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 12/2/2018 at 10:42 PM, Myran said:

I do plenty of riding in the left lane when it is warranted, and have never been pulled over for it. As long as you keep with the flow of traffic, there's hardly anything wrong or dangerous about it.

I don't know if it's a "law" or a "rule" but as far as I know a motorcycle must always keep to the left most lane (unless cars are parked there) and allowed to go to the right most lane no more than 50 meters before the turn/u-turn

It is the norm in any developed country that, regardless of whether yo are a driver or a rider, you pass on the OUTSIDE (the lane furthest from the curb), unless there are designated speed lanes such as on autobahn. Passing on the inside is suicidal and dangerous for all road users. Why it is tolerated in Thailand escapes me.

I'm not commenting on other posters comments or opinions, but having used a motorbike for 20 years myself, most of you have probably noticed how dangerous it is in the left lane. Cars and trucks parked along the side, many times illegally, cars and motorbikes not stopping at side road stop signs or pulling out in front of you. Speeding cars in both lanes passing you as close as they can. The vans and red buses cutting you off. Most of the traffic in the right lane tailgating you in car or motorbike are usually going way faster than the speed limit, especially vans buses and trucks. 

Edited by Danthai

On 12/2/2018 at 7:05 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It's one of the most stupid '*rules' I've heard of on Thai roads, along with motorcycles not being permitted to use some bridges or underpasses, which again I fail to understand....

*I used the term rule as I am not 100% sure it is a law or that the wording of the law has been 'conveniently interpreted' and then passed along from Policeman to Policeman such that they enforced a regulation which is partially made up and borne of misunderstood wording.... 

The BiB do not ever 'know' the rules, rather they pick them up from those they work with, thus, what ever is enforced today gets copied tomorrow by the new officers and somehow becomes distorted along the way. 

Although many have been fined and think it is illegal, I'm not so sure it is illegal to pass another car in the right hand most lane (of the 3) on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok, although many have argued that it is based on the the Police response and wording of the Land Transport Act... but its still a not 100% clear and the vagueness lends to a little interpretation and grey area, which, as always can be capitalized upon by the Thai Police when they want to fine motorcyclists and get a little cash. 

So, ultimately, its not what the law says, its what the Policeman who stopped you says it is !!!... Unless of course you have the 'phone a friend' option or a print out of the Land Transport Act In Thai (and English) at hand and are prepared to argue the linguistic nuances of a fairly vague document. 

Excellent post, could not have put it better myself. When I am riding my bike, I just use common sense rather than obey anybodies rules which even they are not sure about.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:42 PM, Myran said:

"I do plenty of riding in the left lane". Are you sure you are not referring to the right lane?

The correct way to turn right on a motorcycle is to keep to the left lane and when you near your right turn off, get your pillion passenger to wave his or her right hand at seat level and filter right, giving way to the vehicles who ignore or don't understand this manoeuvre. Most times it works!????

On 12/2/2018 at 2:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

So stupid.

Buses and lorries follow that rule. Specially on badly maintained roads where the drive to the better right lane.  You flash your lights and they will indicate right indicator. Yes, I know, those are professional drivers (though not all 55)