Blasts From The Past - 50S,60S And 70S Music (2018)

CharlieH

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1970 and surfin' in the Monterey Bay with Taj Mahal...man, for a soCal boy that water made yer sinuses freeze...defrost with some dope and gallon jugs of red mountain...

crazy yoof...they shoulda kept us up herded up in pens to prevent the subsequent subversion of traditional crewcut values...but they lost...

The first bass lines I ever learnt when trying to play de rhythm n blues. Simple but so effective.

Ever had that frustrating experience when you can't find a song you used to love?

Back in the 80s I had a Taj Mahal number on cassette, he was playing the banjo and whupping up the crowd something rotten, the chorus was something like, 'do the stomp'

Searched everywhere on youtube but never located it.

3 hours ago, bannork said:

The first bass lines I ever learnt when trying to play de rhythm n blues. Simple but so effective.

Ever had that frustrating experience when you can't find a song you used to love?

Back in the 80s I had a Taj Mahal number on cassette, he was playing the banjo and whupping up the crowd something rotten, the chorus was something like, 'do the stomp'

Searched everywhere on youtube but never located it.

1963 and tutsi's got the Linda Lu bass line down on Walter's new Fender precision bass (held upright in reverence to Bill Wyman of the stones) that he gave up to sing lead and shake maracas...and then Walter cut in with the vocal and then the lead Al at the solo as he could then really display his chops...

later at a high school dance some posers were in there with Linda Lu and me and the band ho hummed...they didn't have nothin' on our ass...they were just a few years older...

whale on it, boys...them girls were shaking their shaking their 15 - 16 year old booties all over the place...the debbil's music with sex, substance abuse and death...

'it's the negroes and their music!!!...we must have the police restore order now!!!'

too late...

46 years ago today DSOTM was released , despite its huge success and staying in the top 100 uk albums for 532 weeks it never achieved the number 1 position ( peaked at number 2 )
Even more surprisingly, due to its obvious familiarity, the song Money was never released, as a single , in the uk ( released in US and peaked at number 13 ).

12 hours ago, AlexRich said:

My favourite track by The Who, from the album Quadrophenia, 

5555 Something went a little wrong there Alex. Since this new format which doesn't require any use of icons to upload, I've often found I'm 'stuck' on the previous song and have to shut down the TV page and start again.

A great track by Joe.

11 hours ago, bannork said:

and who's that old guy sittin' at the table watching bemusedly?..

my sister had an appalachian dulcimer when we were teenagers and we useta play and sing together...she never got her head around the guitar but took piano lessons and had some training, one of our favorites

and now 'I hate you you bastard! mom and dad always loved you more than me!...' 'b.b.but I was firstborn and a boy and they were traditional, whaddaya expect???'...and then she upends the table 'take yer vodka and yer goddam chewin' tobacco and get T F outta my house!!!'... a scene that's been repeated continually over the past 45 years...

can't win fer losin'...

an old favorite...lyrics simple and easy to remember...later wid some girl in Bolivia who was 5 years older (21 to his 16), as he was intoning the lyrics he didn't realise what he was gettin' into...'I'm pregnant...' 'uh, well...I suppose that we could get married...' 'HAR, HAR, HAR!!!' (as in 'what a ridiculous concept')

One of the enjoyable side effects of growing up in the 60s and hearing such a wonderful array of music is lyrics or titles just pop into your head whenever a situation related to the words arises.

Thus when Tutsi Miller refers to Hey! Baby in relation to his role as a toyboy jig-a jigging with an older 'lady', my mind immediately turns to JJ Cale's track of the same words, admittedly without the exclamation mark,  signifying perhaps a relationship less torrid but of longer standing. A tortoise against a hare.

Archived