• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I've explained the Sancho situation to you.

Mahrez. Pretty sure no City fans were fussed about buying him, we wanted at that time a Fernandinho heir which still don't have. The jury is out on his time at City, but Pep loves him. Think  his problem is he was a big fish in a small pond at Leicester but he's  not so important at City, also think he's still in awe of his surroundings. Bernardo and Laporte both took time and didn't convince us until their 2nd season so hopefully Mahrez will come good.

Both players mentioned did not have PL experience whereas mahrez had 5/6.

The lad Sancho was not seeking higher wages he was looking for a chance and if you don't give them that they cannot prove themselves and you say not good enough but you can't really know that until the chance is given and clubs seem to have noticed this and they are taking your youth for fun.

How could they not know of his talent and know that all that is needed is a run in the team to get acclimated and on the same note that is the very risk you take when players come from other leagues and because of that it's accepted that they may need a season to get used to the new league.

In mahrez's case it makes the Sancho deal look silly as he did not need mahrez he has plenty of players in that area so the chance to cut a youngster with massive potential was there and he refused to take it and save 60m and create a 70m youth player.  Not taking that chance cost you 120m.

41 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

The lad Sancho was not seeking higher wages he was looking for a chance and if you don't give them that they cannot prove themselves and you say not good enough but you can't really know that until the chance is given and clubs seem to have noticed this and they are taking your youth for fun.

How could they not know of his talent and know that all that is needed is a run in the team to get acclimated and on the same note that is the very risk you take when players come from other leagues and because of that it's accepted that they may need a season to get used to the new league.

In mahrez's case it makes the Sancho deal look silly as he did not need mahrez he has plenty of players in that area so the chance to cut a youngster with massive potential was there and he refused to take it and save 60m and create a 70m youth player.  Not taking that chance cost you 120m.

It pains me to say this but you are spot on.  There was every opportunity to give Sancho a chance and save 60m and Pep just took the soft option, spunked the cash and hence lost an outstanding talent.  With the strength of the midfield they had it was a great opportunity and as soon as he bought Mahrez that kid must have known he was wasting his time at City.  And he was absolutely right because now he's clearly playing and being coached into a better player.

I suppose i should say nothing more and hand over to Alfie!!

Edited by carmine

16 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Guys.... one thing we really shouldn't forget in all of this. It took Sancho a year to break into Dortmund's first team. They didn't play him from the start.

But my general feeling about City's Academy policy remains.

It took him less than a year and i think you know this and just want to compound the mistake made by city, further. The timeline was ideal for Sancho to take a spot instead of the mahrez buy.

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

R2D2, by “Both players mentioned did not have PL experience” you mean Sancho and Matondo I assume.

Matondo was not at the stage of being given a chance of a call up to the 1st team. To quote City’s website “Matondo has left on good terms with City, and the club are understood to be happy with a sizeable fee for an 18-year-old who was never included in a first team squad, and who only trained with the squad on odd occasions, when numbers were reduced by international call-ups or rest periods. Seriously Matondo was only known to City fans because he’s supposedly the quickest player at the club.

Sancho wanted to run before he could walk. He thought he was good enough for 1st team football; he wasn’t when he left City and I seriously doubt he would be now for City (ahead of Sterling, Sane, Mahrez and Bernardo? I doubt it).

How could they not know of his talent” you ask. Because the coaching staff watch them everyday training at City, in games for City’s Academy (I saw Sancho in several televised EDS European games and can confirm he was one of our better players), for England Us and by training with the 1st team squad if they are good enough. Basic stuff R2D2.

Pep obviously doesn’t agree with you that he “did not need mahrez he has plenty of players in that area so the chance to cut a youngster with massive potential was there”.

Sancho left City on 31 August 2017 as a 17.5 year old, at that stage he hadn’t even progressed to the 1st team squad – why?

City chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, said on 31 May 2017 that Pep Guardiola will promote Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden and Brahim Díaz to the first team.

Earlier in May 2017 Pep said: “They [some City youngsters] will come to the United States on our pre-season tour. They are 16, 17 or 18. The quality is there, but maybe not in the next year. Next season most of them will be training with us and we are going to see how they are..”.

Diaz, Foden and Sancho had all been selected from the top at City to break through in to the squad.

They were were all going on City’s pre-season USA tour.

Diaz and Foden went, Sancho didn’t go because he wouldn’t sign a new contract with City.

Both Diaz and Foden played on the tour, Sancho stayed at home and the <deleted> went on strike. After making several appearances on the bench at the start of the season, Foden made his City debut on 21 November 2017 and Diaz on 21 November 2017, Brahim made his Champions League debut against Feyenoord.

Sancho made first league start for Dortmund on 14 January 2018.

So it seems obvious, based on comments from our chairman and Pep, that all 3 were being groomed to break through. Foden and Diaz did from the start of the season and had Sancho signed a new contract he too would have been given chances and broke through.

So don’t give me the crap we didn’t give him chances or we weren’t willing to try youth!

The fact is Arsenal and Spurs were trying to get him during the contract negotiations stage with City so he thought if he didn’t sign the new contract he could go there; but we were only willing to sell him overseas if he was to leave.

So it’s fair to say we did everything we could to keep him but he wanted away to a London premier club.

Everybody on here knows a little about Sancho-City and keep making wrong assumptions.

Hope you (and others who keep having a pop here at City with regards Sancho) now understand.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Sancho is history. He isn’t at City no more so what/why/how does it matter? The staff and he only know the full picture 

Could never see your owners doing a Pogba type deal. Saving face is worth more.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Sancho is history. He isn’t at City no more so what/why/how does it matter? The staff and he only know the full picture 

Because to many he represents City's apparent disregard for turning Academy prospects into first team regulars.

And spare us the debate on what a regular means! 

58 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

R2D2, by “Both players mentioned did not have PL experience” you mean Sancho and Matondo I assume.

Matondo was not at the stage of being given a chance of a call up to the 1st team. To quote City’s website “Matondo has left on good terms with City, and the club are understood to be happy with a sizeable fee for an 18-year-old who was never included in a first team squad, and who only trained with the squad on odd occasions, when numbers were reduced by international call-ups or rest periods. Seriously Matondo was only known to City fans because he’s supposedly the quickest player at the club.

Sancho wanted to run before he could walk. He thought he was good enough for 1st team football; he wasn’t when he left City and I seriously doubt he would be now for City (ahead of Sterling, Sane, Mahrez and Bernardo? I doubt it).

How could they not know of his talent” you ask. Because the coaching staff watch them everyday training at City, in games for City’s Academy (I saw Sancho in several televised EDS European games and can confirm he was one of our better players), for England Us and by training with the 1st team squad if they are good enough. Basic stuff R2D2.

Pep obviously doesn’t agree with you that he “did not need mahrez he has plenty of players in that area so the chance to cut a youngster with massive potential was there”.

Sancho left City on 31 August 2017 as a 17.5 year old, at that stage he hadn’t even progressed to the 1st team squad – why?

City chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, said on 31 May 2017 that Pep Guardiola will promote Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden and Brahim Díaz to the first team.

Earlier in May 2017 Pep said: “They [some City youngsters] will come to the United States on our pre-season tour. They are 16, 17 or 18. The quality is there, but maybe not in the next year. Next season most of them will be training with us and we are going to see how they are..”.

Diaz, Foden and Sancho had all been selected from the top at City to break through in to the squad.

They were were all going on City’s pre-season USA tour.

Diaz and Foden went, Sancho didn’t go because he wouldn’t sign a new contract with City.

Both Diaz and Foden played on the tour, Sancho stayed at home and the <deleted> went on strike. After making several appearances on the bench at the start of the season, Foden made his City debut on 21 November 2017 and Diaz on 21 November 2017, Brahim made his Champions League debut against Feyenoord.

Sancho made first league start for Dortmund on 14 January 2018.

So it seems obvious, based on comments from our chairman and Pep, that all 3 were being groomed to break through. Foden and Diaz did from the start of the season and had Sancho signed a new contract he too would have been given chances and broke through.

So don’t give me the crap we didn’t give him chances or we weren’t willing to try youth!

The fact is Arsenal and Spurs were trying to get him during the contract negotiations stage with City so he thought if he didn’t sign the new contract he could go there; but we were only willing to sell him overseas if he was to leave.

So it’s fair to say we did everything we could to keep him but he wanted away to a London premier club.

Everybody on here knows a little about Sancho-City and keep making wrong assumptions.

Hope you (and others who keep having a pop here at City with regards Sancho) now understand.

With all due respect BB, you can't use pre-season tours as a yard stick. Plenty youngsters play in pre-season,  and seem never to be seen or heard of again.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

With all due respect BB, you can't use pre-season tours as a yard stick. Plenty youngsters play in pre-season,  and seem never to be seen or heard of again.

The lads not following his comments and jumping to conclusions.

He said laporte and Bernardino needed time to settle in and became settled in 2nd season. Assuming I was referring to the youngsters is incorrect. So all content typed after that assumption is just going way off point.

Because to many he represents City's apparent disregard for turning Academy prospects into first team regulars.

And spare us the debate on what a regular means! 

Disappointed by your 1st para comment after i bothered to explain the Sancho situation at length. How many more ways can it be explained that City wanted him, offered him a very decent contract, had announced to the press he was a special talent  and would be brought through, BUT HE didn't want to stay. Please read the words in front of you not what you want to read.

Why do you think City were using the preseason tour as a yardstick? Presumably negotiations had reached an impasse or worse if City left him in Manchester.

32 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Disappointed by your 1st para comment after i bothered to explain the Sancho situation at length. How many more ways can it be explained that City wanted him, offered him a very decent contract, had announced to the press he was a special talent  and would be brought through, BUT HE didn't want to stay. Please read the words in front of you not what you want to read.

OK fair enough. Like you say, we won't know exactly what went on behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

That's why in a previous post I said 2 1/2.  Anyway let's not go round in circles again.

You really should be glossing over it as best you can. It actually highlights a massive <deleted> up, confirmed by the fact you paid 90M for him. The <deleted> cheek of you suggesting he gets a half point. Your academy should get a minus <deleted> one for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You really should be glossing over it as best you can. It actually highlights a massive <deleted> up, confirmed by the fact you paid 90M for him. The <deleted> cheek of you suggesting he gets a half point. Your academy should get a minus <deleted> one for him.

Why? We made one mistake, but look at the bigger picture... we produced him and now he's a great player.

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Why? We made one mistake, but look at the bigger picture... we produced him and now he's a great player.

Bigger picture is Juve scouted him, grabbed him for nowt and made him what he is today and you paid 90M for him. Christ fella, I'm sure you're taking the piss half the time ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Bigger picture is Juve scouted him, grabbed him for nowt and made him what he is today and you paid 90M for him. Christ fella, I'm sure you're taking the piss half the time ????

That's why I'm only taking half a point. We produced him, we made a very costly (100M) mistake, which we rectified when we could.  And now he plays for us. Would City buy back Sancho?

Juve didn't make him what he is, talent will always find a way.

Taking the piss about 25% of the time, but not now ????

Edited by RickG16

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

That's why I'm only taking half a point. We produced him, we made a very costly (100M) mistake, which we rectified when we could.  And now he plays for us. Would City buy back Sancho?

Talent doesn't always find a away, half your team would be at The ASADA if Jose stuck around. Juve developed him, you discarded him.

No way the A-rabs buy back, it's a culture thing (steady with that itchy-trigger finger there BB).

25% my arse it's at least 50 with our evening discussions, cool though ????

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

You produced him did you?

Not really Rick. He'd been around for quite a while and was a youth international before ManU controversially signed him. 

Pogba began his football career at the age of six playing for US Roissy-en-Brie...  

On 31 July 2009, Pogba announced that he was departing Le Havre to join the youth academy of Manchester United

On 3 July 2012 he left the club for Juventus

Youth career

1999–2006 Roissy-en-Brie

2006–2007 Torcy

2007–2009 Le Havre

2009–2011 Manchester United

On 1/27/2019 at 1:39 PM, Rc2702 said:

You mean you learned your lesson with the scattergun policy when you blew 85m from sale of bale and spent 11m wisely.

I think you need to look at the summer of 2014 if your going to talk about scattergun policy and lamela !