The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Former footballer Robbie Savage has made a strong claim when comparing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad to Manchester City.

The Red Devils have struggled to find consistency recently, losing six of eight matches heading into the Manchester derby, and face a stern challenge to qualify for next season’s Champions League.

City , meanwhile, are gunning for the title and aiming to become the first side in a decade to successful defend their Premier League crown - and Savage believes the depth of Pep Guardiola’s side is better than United’s first-team.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, the Class of ‘92 graduate claimed that only four United players would get into City’s second-string side

“Just say for instance the second-string City team was Bravo, Danilo, Stones, Otamendi, Zinchenko or Mendy, Gundogan, Delph, Mahrez, Foden, Sane, Jesus. You're looking at that, David De Gea instead of Bravo, Shaw probably at left-back, Pogba for Delph and Rashford for Jesus,” he said.

That's a second-string team, that's how far United have fallen behind in recruitment.”

Savage went on to heap praise on Marcus Rashford, who like him graduated from United’s academy, and named him as the player the club must keep.

“The one player of all those players I would keep is Marcus Rashford, even ahead of David De Gea, because he knows the football club, he's from the area and he has that DNA.”

I think even more telling is what Utd players would get into any of the mixed teams if the top 6 club players were put on the table. That's about 100 in all. Utd might get a player into the fifth or sixth team down.

In posing these hypothetical questions, one might feel that the Utd players are not good enough. Can't say that Pogba, Sanchez and Martial etc are not good enough; no! It's their attitude to the club, and supporters, that is in question IMO. There is absolutely no excuse for 'not breaking sweat' in a match, as appears to be the case for a few of the players.

OGS has a big job ahead. I think he already knows who he wants rid of (probably the same players that Marinho fingered). Interesting close season ahead for the club.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

Not good enough for Solskjaer this, it was his chance to prove the critics wrong. But the passion from the players only lasted for 45 minutes.

Second half they were the same miserable team, no game plan, with some luck Chelsea could have nicked it.  

Yes new players are needed , but he wants to build his team around Pogba, good luck with that. 

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

In posing these hypothetical questions, one might feel that the Utd players are not good enough.

Owl... you should realise that these hypothetical questions are completely self-gratifying. It's not good enough that City are the best team in the country, the yard stick which means the most to them is comparison with United.

1st place team in the league has better players than the sixth place team...... I mean, who woulda thunk it?!

But for another De Gea howler it would have been 3 points and made the race to the top 4 even more unpredictable, apart from the top 2, thats how the competition is unfolding

David de Gea amongst the worlds best shot stoppers to abject failure, as perceived by some, in 3 weeks.

You could say though  only Rashford and Shaw have progressed over last season and if Ole thought his job was going to be difficult it just massively increased.

Was very pleased to see Bailly back after severe concussion on International duty ,thought he and lindelof looked relatively stable and then a terrible twist of his knee ,the guy can't take a trick. I hope he stays and is given time to prove himself.

Far too many other United squad platers are simple too injury prone or not up to it .I cringe every time Rojo enters the fray,penalty waiting to happen.Martials shirts doesnt even need washing. Watching him amble up to a fb instead of doing what he's good at ie pace is doing my head in.I think Ole has the same opinion

I shall be quite happy when this season is over.I look at the likes of Mason Greenwood , Garner,Gomes, Chong and the very underated keeper Dean Henderson ,currently on loan as those that can help with a revival as without top 4 recruitment just gets harder

Does anyone take what Robbie Savage says seriously ? The guys a clown living off the game he wasn't that good at.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

But for another De Gea howler it would have been 3 points and made the race to the top 4 even more unpredictable, apart from the top 2, thats how the competition is unfolding

David de Gea amongst the worlds best shot stoppers to abject failure, as perceived by some, in 3 weeks.

You could say though  only Rashford and Shaw have progressed over last season and if Ole thought his job was going to be difficult it just massively increased.

Was very pleased to see Bailly back after severe concussion on International duty ,thought he and lindelof looked relatively stable and then a terrible twist of his knee ,the guy can't take a trick. I hope he stays and is given time to prove himself.

Far too many other United squad platers are simple too injury prone or not up to it .I cringe every time Rojo enters the fray,penalty waiting to happen.Martials shirts doesnt even need washing. Watching him amble up to a fb instead of doing what he's good at ie pace is doing my head in.I think Ole has the same opinion

I shall be quite happy when this season is over.I look at the likes of Mason Greenwood , Garner,Gomes, Chong and the very underated keeper Dean Henderson ,currently on loan as those that can help with a revival as without top 4 recruitment just gets harder

Does anyone take what Robbie Savage says seriously ? The guys a clown living off the game he wasn't that good at.

Top post. When Lindelof and Bailly are on song they look like our best two CBs. I would say out of the five central defenders, Rojo and Jones look most likely to leave. Ole even said 'we won't see Bailly until next season' in reply to a question on his injury. That implies he will be there.

Could we get rid of Lukaku, Pogba and Martial in one summer? Could Herrera and Mata end up staying, after looking like the most obvious to leave? There are only so many players we can get rid of and bring in, so it has the makings of a fascinating summer transfer window. 

And I couldn't agree more on Savage. 

23 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

When Lindelof and Bailly are on song they look like our best two CBs.

They did look to be playing well, didn't they, however I'm afraid that IMO Bailly has the same fault as Jones, inasmuch as they are reckless in some tackles and subsequently get injured.

The knee damage was as much a result of Bailly's awkward tackle as anything else, and earlier on in the piece, he was guilty of a two footed tackle, so he does tend to appear to "lose his rag" sometimes.

I have liked Lindelof when he's playing in that role as I think he looks calm and composed and seems to read the game well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Owl... you should realise that these hypothetical questions are completely self-gratifying. It's not good enough that City are the best team in the country, the yard stick which means the most to them is comparison with United.

1st place team in the league has better players than the sixth place team...... I mean, who woulda thunk it?!

My post came on the tail of posts noting ManU players  weren't good enough. A simple means of assessing that for oneself is to assess those players against the current top team - we have two top teams currently in City and liverpool as my post inferred. You seem to have taken as a personal slight though none was intended.

Ps. In days of yore i used to do such an assessment of City's team vs the  top team whether that was ManU Chelsea or Arsenal to see where we were at.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Bailly has been confirmed he's done his medial ligament so out of Africa Cup of Nations and will probably miss pre season.

I'm all for Pogba and Martial leaving.Pogba should come out with what his intentions are not this constant "gossip" which he fuels.Ronaldo was a better player and to his credit had an agreement with SAF when he was leaving.SAF asked for one more year and got it.

You could build a team around Pogba but if his hearts not in it, bye bye.same with Martial. If players are not 100% committted you are better of without them they just disrupt the morale of the team and Sanchez  played his usual headless chicken role when he came on....has to go.

Lukaku for all his faults and least did put in 100% but his record against the top 6 is abysmal .....1 goal

I said before I think its going to be 2 years before United can get things sorted out and thats being conservative.

You only have to look at Wolves to see how hardly household names, but committed players, can achieve.

Our main problem our players are not fit enough we really need a tough pre season getting up to the fitness levels of City And Liverpool ect.

Vardy was one I was touting to buy before we splashed on Lukaku, Vardy is the type of player we need he gives his all every game and his goal scoring recorded again the top 6 is top notch.

Spot on about Wolves they have a excellent side and done really well this season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nev said:

Our main problem our players are not fit enough we really need a tough pre season getting up to the fitness levels of City And Liverpool ect.

Vardy was one I was touting to buy before we splashed on Lukaku, Vardy is the type of player we need he gives his all every game and his goal scoring recorded again the top 6 is top notch.

Spot on about Wolves they have a excellent side and done really well this season.

No argument there.Got to be more Vardys out there,hungry guys  in their late 20's.Pre season will be another tripathon.All the way to Perth for one game and football is relatively minor sport in WA with only one A League side,despite many UK expats living in WA their attendances are misereable and then off to Asia. Travel ,travel ,travel For the revenue is it worth it ? why not have friendlies in Spain or France, less travel and weather conditions that are more suitable ,easy answer....all about money, shirt sales,sponsored events.

By the way my long time friend  at Carrington told me by email today that Ole gave Martial his first hair dryer experience for his attitude in the warm up,basically standing on the ball and relaxing.   I'm sure the media will pick up on that.Martials whole attitude drives me insane.Signed a new contract and signed off 

• Like 1

That was shocking what Martial did I watched the video, It was like he was a spoilt brat not getting his way and not picked to start.

He can go all I care he has one good game and reverts back to average.

• Like 1

Well that went from crazy celebration scenes in Paris a couple of months ago to a complete failure.  Ole's at the wheel but the fans are no longer happy. 

Ole needs to get the right players in with the right attitude , but it remains to be seen if the manager has the right attitude himself, he looked like a beaten man on the bench already after the first half . 

7 hours ago, hackjam said:

Don't reckon its a job for a rookie manager, issues are massive.

It was always going to be a huge job, and IMO Ole was not the right man for it, mainly because he had very little experience in that role and that which he has had has been poor.

Yesterday's match showed up some glaring failures in his management, inasmuch as there was no plan, there was no system and there was no structure in any part of their play. It's all very well "waving players forward" from the touchline, but anyone can do that, and without forming part of a pattern to enable something positive to happen, it's just a nonsense.

And if I see Luke Shaw, one more time, play himself into a "dead-end" position without backing himself to move forward with his speed, then I shall scream. In addition, the buildup is so slow that it allowed Huddersfield to get their defence sorted and bolstered with midfield players, so that United had very few chances – – strike with speed was once a United cry, unfortunately now it has become a lament.

I said it before and it's truer now than ever, that a club of United's stature should have waited for an experienced manager to become available, or tempted one out of a contract. 

No point in harping on about Mourinho being a successful manager and all that stuff, because he showed a lot about himself with his people management and feistiness, at Chelsea, twice, and then MU – – this is a man who is out for himself and nothing else.

Furthermore, not that I read much in the way of UK newspapers, every time I do look at one, there is news that a potential Manchester United target has been snaffled by somebody else, or a new wonder boy has been found and United know nothing about him, or are not in the running for him.

I'm afraid the rot has set in at this moment in time and a clear out of players and staff is needed, as well as a search for a new manager. Having said that they are still the club I support and always will do, however now is the day/time of reckoning.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, xylophone said:

It was always going to be a huge job, and IMO Ole was not the right man for it, mainly because he had very little experience in that role and that which he has had has been poor.

Yesterday's match showed up some glaring failures in his management, inasmuch as there was no plan, there was no system and there was no structure in any part of their play. It's all very well "waving players forward" from the touchline, but anyone can do that, and without forming part of a pattern to enable something positive to happen, it's just a nonsense.

And if I see Luke Shaw, one more time, play himself into a "dead-end" position without backing himself to move forward with his speed, then I shall scream. In addition, the buildup is so slow that it allowed Huddersfield to get their defence sorted and bolstered with midfield players, so that United had very few chances – – strike with speed was once a United cry, unfortunately now it has become a lament.

I said it before and it's truer now than ever, that a club of United's stature should have waited for an experienced manager to become available, or tempted one out of a contract. 

No point in harping on about Mourinho being a successful manager and all that stuff, because he showed a lot about himself with his people management and feistiness, at Chelsea, twice, and then MU – – this is a man who is out for himself and nothing else.

Furthermore, not that I read much in the way of UK newspapers, every time I do look at one, there is news that a potential Manchester United target has been snaffled by somebody else, or a new wonder boy has been found and United know nothing about him, or are not in the running for him.

On Shaw, it tells you everything that even he looks completely out of sorts, as he was one of our best players this season. It's like an infection that they've all caught,  no confidence at all.... And compared to Ole's first few games it's night and day.

What can you say... Weird, weird season.

• Like 1

Thank you that was an amazing game against Ajax.  I wish you good luck with Cardiff , finish in 5th place above Arsenal should be something to motivate the team. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nev said:

Last game of the season and I do hope the kids get to play, I am bored watching Lingard Martial Lukaku stinking the place out.

Well ignoring the tabloids the MU web site news on the game tonight indicates we may see some youngsters.

I've seen plenty of clips of Mason Greewood who to me is potentialy a better prospect than Rashford but injuries have stalled his season. Only 17 ......31 goals ,12 assists playing U/18.U/19 and U23's.Unusual that he takes penalties with both feet

I can't remember a more disappointing seaon in decades not so much for results but lack of desire from some of the players.

Ironically Herrara, who always gives 100%, is the first to officially declare he is leaving and only weeks ago he was touted as having the attributes to be skipper.

I think we were encouraged when news of Sanchez arriving, a proven goal scorer, well he has scored a single goal and last week substituted himself.Lukaku is not good enough ,Pogba gives every indication he doesnt want to be there as does Martial and there is a lot of deadwood who have hardly played

No one has played anywhere near their potential, with the exception of Mc Tominay maybe, and the best player of the year award won by Shaw, who was sleep walking for most of last weekends game must have been an embarrassment.

I don't mind a couple of seasons in the wilderness if the team can get back to "the United way" an old cliche I know but true

Talk on the Untited site that players like winger Daniel James (Swansea) maybe targeted and the performance of Tuanzebe (on loan) last night for Villa give some hope that there is a clear out and younger players who will give everything come in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Well ignoring the tabloids the MU web site news on the game tonight indicates we may see some youngsters.

I've seen plenty of clips of Mason Greewood who to me is potentialy a better prospect than Rashford but injuries have stalled his season. Only 17 ......31 goals ,12 assists playing U/18.U/19 and U23's.Unusual that he takes penalties with both feet

I can't remember a more disappointing seaon in decades not so much for results but lack of desire from some of the players.

Ironically Herrara, who always gives 100%, is the first to officially declare he is leaving and only weeks ago he was touted as having the attributes to be skipper.

I think we were encouraged when news of Sanchez arriving, a proven goal scorer, well he has scored a single goal and last week substituted himself.Lukaku is not good enough ,Pogba gives every indication he doesnt want to be there as does Martial and there is a lot of deadwood who have hardly played

No one has played anywhere near their potential, with the exception of Mc Tominay maybe, and the best player of the year award won by Shaw, who was sleep walking for most of last weekends game must have been an embarrassment.

I don't mind a couple of seasons in the wilderness if the team can get back to "the United way" an old cliche I know but true

Talk on the Untited site that players like winger Daniel James (Swansea) maybe targeted and the performance of Tuanzebe (on loan) last night for Villa give some hope that there is a clear out and younger players who will give everything come in.

I hope James signs that the right wing sorted this lad is rapid and if coached right will rip teams apart, My main worry is the rest of the team are slow as and poor Dan would have to stop and wait for the other to get forward as no one to cross too.

Well Ole, your game plan was what exactly??

Cut it whichever way you want, but here is something to consider, that Utd team yesterday had 10 international players at one level or another and a few past players at that level but were they a "team" – – not a chance.

Was there a game plan, well, if there was, even the players didn't know about it.

The commentators on that match said on several occasions that United were trying to "thread the ball through a packed defence" and the reason was that they attacked so slowly and without purpose, that it was easy for the defence and midfield to make it difficult.

They also said that Utd needed a clear-out and 10 new players!!

It will be a few years before United are able to approach anywhere near their former glory and if and when that happens, OGS will not be in charge.

Congratulations to City who put in great performances throughout the season and thoroughly deserve to be champions.

• Thanks 1

ManU were a record 32 points behind City...almost 11 wins. 

Think i also read that ManU were only 32 points above relegated Cardiff ( i haven't checked if that's correct or not).

The signs are that ManU is continuing to decline season-on-season after Rednose retirement 6 or 7 seasons ago.

Realistically can only see another few seasons of ManU trying to keep up with the big boys.