The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, xylophone said:

I thought Mata made a big difference to the side, with his guile and accuracy and hope he is at least on the bench.

What Mata lacks in pace he makes up for it with his experience and playing others in. Sure to be at at least on the bench.

As is this forums way hardly a mention that against Newcastle Harry Maguire did, what I thought he would, he got back in the saddle after being told by all the pundits and forum critics that he should rest or be dropped .No matter what sport you play you know yourself you're in a rut and the only way to get your mojo back is to play. Not only did he score a valuable goal he nearly got a brace and defended well

De Gea was back to what we all know he can do, couple of seriously good saves.

Wan Bissaka scored his first goal, a belter, after being relentlessly criticised for his lack of going forward ability .He won the best tackler of the league last year and that goal will give him confidence, so important for young players.

OGS dropping Pogba should be admired and with his contract extension triggered the ball is well and truly in his court, does he want to be the player we know he can be or does he want to sit on the bench ?

Fernando has been made skipper and doubt Tunezabe will take part, he was primed to play Under 23's, he's been out for nearly a year.

Makeshift team but that why you have a big squad. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

What Mata lacks in pace he makes up for it with his experience and playing others in. Sure to be at at least on the bench.

As is this forums way hardly a mention that against Newcastle Harry Maguire did, what I thought he would, he got back in the saddle after being told by all the pundits and forum critics that he should rest or be dropped .No matter what sport you play you know yourself you're in a rut and the only way to get your mojo back is to play. Not only did he score a valuable goal he nearly got a brace and defended well

De Gea was back to what we all know he can do, couple of seriously good saves.

Wan Bissaka scored his first goal, a belter, after being relentlessly criticised for his lack of going forward ability .He won the best tackler of the league last year and that goal will give him confidence, so important for young players.

OGS dropping Pogba should be admired and with his contract extension triggered the ball is well and truly in his court, does he want to be the player we know he can be or does he want to sit on the bench ?

Fernando has been made skipper and doubt Tunezabe will take part, he was primed to play Under 23's, he's been out for nearly a year.

Makeshift team but that why you have a big squad. 

Welcome back Sparkles. An astute analysis as always.

As said I think Fred will play given how well he did last time. One positive is that if we are struggling to second guess the team, PSG might be struggling too.

With Mbappe and Neymar around I can only imagine we will focus on a solid shape and hitting them on the break with the pace of Rashford and whoever else plays in attack. That might be a reason Mata doesn't play. 

Great result and a good all round performance..  'newbies' were particularly impressive. Surprised at how easily psgs defence was exposed.. but hey no denying.. the better TEAM won.. large shouts for your underfire keeper, looked back to his best and to Olly .. got his tactics/shape  bang on the money.. even the timing of  bringing pogba on .. took the play further into their half..  great start to the campaign, an away win at arguably your toughest opponent..can't ask for  more...... Well... a clean sheet .... But that would be not picking.

Edited by 3 minus 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

. <deleted>..  are they wearing !!!  have to go down as one of, if not the worst shirts ever... HORROR show.. let's hope the results better

The shirt design has it's roots here :-

Dazzle camouflage - Wikipedia

"IN THE second world war, many Allied ships were painted with dark and light stripes, and other contrasting shapes, making them look a bit like zebra. The idea was to distort an enemy submarine commander's perception of the ship's size, shape, range, heading and speed, so as to make it harder to hit with the non-homing torpedoes of the period. These had to be pointed not at the target directly but, rather, at the place where the commander thought the target would be when the torpedo arrived. At the time, it was only an educated guess that this so-called dazzle camouflage would work. But now someone has actually tested it and the short answer is that it does work—but not in the way that Allied navies thought it did. Ships move too slowly. Dazzle camouflage might well, however, have a role in protecting faster-moving vehicles, such as military Land Rovers."

Extract from The Economist, Jun 7th 2011

I quite like a bit of Razzle Dazzle. ????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LeungKen said:

The shirt design has it's roots here :-

Dazzle camouflage - Wikipedia

"IN THE second world war, many Allied ships were painted with dark and light stripes, and other contrasting shapes, making them look a bit like zebra. The idea was to distort an enemy submarine commander's perception of the ship's size, shape, range, heading and speed, so as to make it harder to hit with the non-homing torpedoes of the period. These had to be pointed not at the target directly but, rather, at the place where the commander thought the target would be when the torpedo arrived. At the time, it was only an educated guess that this so-called dazzle camouflage would work. But now someone has actually tested it and the short answer is that it does work—but not in the way that Allied navies thought it did. Ships move too slowly. Dazzle camouflage might well, however, have a role in protecting faster-moving vehicles, such as military Land Rovers."

Extract from The Economist, Jun 7th 2011

I quite like a bit of Razzle Dazzle. ????

That makes sense of it,.Cos I was looking at it and thinkin.. there's no way any designer would put such a mess  of lines together.. and yet here it was.. an asthetic nightmare.. 

On 10/19/2020 at 10:55 AM, RickG16 said:

Kadilo what is your fantasy team called?

Excellent come back last night by the way. The fact it was such a 'Spursy' capitulation even with Jose as manager made it even better.

I’m not in the FF, only the score prediction comp.  I’m <deleted> enough at that tbh. 

• Like 1

Mason Greenwood warned over discipline by Manchester United

Forward’s late timekeeping a particular issue

Greenwood has not played in past two matches

Manchester United have warned Mason Greenwood regarding his discipline, with the 19-year-old’s poor timekeeping a particular issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/21/mason-greenwood-warned-over-discipline-by-manchester-united 

I think Cavani will be used as a sub at some stage Ole did say he has kept himself very fit but nothing replaces playing Im interested to see Telles how he plays in a league game withe number 9 like Cavani,

I think he will start with Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno,

It depends on your back 3 will he play Axel again? not sure 2 games in less than a week

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think Cavani will be used as a sub at some stage Ole did say he has kept himself very fit but nothing replaces playing Im interested to see Telles how he plays in a league game withe number 9 like Cavani,

I think he will start with Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno,

It depends on your back 3 will he play Axel again? not sure 2 games in less than a week

I think Maguire could slot back in for Axel. I agree that Mason seems more likely to start than Cavani who has no game time.

I still think that we could see a surprise pick in VDB, with a complete license to attack behind Rashford... surely he has to start him soon?

And yes...Telles's crossing could be a very good weapon with Cavani playing.

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

What do you think of this guys team selection?

Sometimes I agree with Goldbridge but not on this occasion. If Maguire's fit he plays, and I'm not sure I like Pogba on the left, or on the pitch at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure most fitness experts wouldn't play Axel two games in a row. 

At least there's no arguments about the keeper! He's been outstanding recently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Sometimes I agree with Goldbridge but not on this occasion. If Maguire's fit he plays, and I'm not sure I like Pogba on the left, or on the pitch at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure most fitness experts wouldn't play Axel two games in a row. 

At least there's no arguments about the keeper! He's been outstanding recently. 

I just dont think he wants Maguire on the pitch he doesn't like him being captain he's all for Bruno

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I just dont think he wants Maguire on the pitch he doesn't like him being captain he's all for Bruno

That's fine but realistically we aren't going to strip the club captain in the middle of a season. Maguire played OK last time so now is the time to rebuild his confidence more... if he is fit.