Roberts, liberal justices snub Trump bid to enforce asylum policy

rooster59

55 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

with conservative Chief Justice John Roberts joining the four liberal justices in denying the request.

The Supreme Courts both in Thailand and the states are interesting to observe. Once when I was moonlighting at Ramkhamhaeng University, my evening class had several policemen and judges as students. One of the judges said she was on the Supreme Court and initially I was in awe and in disbelief.  One of the 12 court justices was actually in my classroom. Wow! I was so wrong. Come to find out, Thailand has a lot of judges. Even her husband was one.

The head judge in America is about six months older than me and grew up in a much different surrounding than I did. Basically, he was a rich kid who went to private schools and then Harvard. I doubt if he was around illegal immigrants much when he was growing up.

One of my old Army buddies has been married to the same Mexican lady for years. He raised a family in Texas and said the illegal immigrants made it hard on his kids when they were growing up. Simply, because part-time jobs for teenagers were hard to find. To many people willingly to work for a lot less. 

I should add that neither the student judge nor Roberts have ever asked me for any advice. Actually, no one does...

Edited by missoura
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, missoura said:

The Supreme Courts both in Thailand and the states are interesting to observe. Once when I was moonlighting at Ramkhamhaeng University, my evening class had several policemen and judges as students. One of the judges said she was on the Supreme Court and initially I was in awe and in disbelief.  One of the 12 court justices was actually in my classroom. Wow! I was so wrong. Come to find out, Thailand has a lot of judges. Even her husband was one.

The head judge in America is about six months older than me and grew up in a much different surrounding than I did. Basically, he was a rich kid who went to private schools and then Harvard. I doubt if he was around illegal immigrants much when he was growing up.

One of my old Army buddies has been married to the same Mexican lady for years. He raised a family in Texas and said the illegal immigrants made it hard on his kids when they were growing up. Simply, because part-time jobs for teenagers were hard to find. To many people willingly to work for a lot less. 

I should add that neither the student judge nor Roberts have ever asked me for any advice. Actually, no one does...

Why is it only Roberts' biography that is relevant? Have you looked at the upbringing of  judges Kavanagh and Gorsuch who sided with Trump? Very privileged. background is quite the opposite?

And Sotomayor who sided against Trump? Her background is quite the opposite. 

• Like 1

The sole issue before the Supreme Court, as I understand, was whether the lower Court's order blocking implementation of the Asylum Ban should be allowed to stand pending the completion of the Appellate Process. Justice Thomas voted to overturn the order since he already is on record as to his distaste for "nationwide" injunctions. 

The order provides no insight as to how the Justices will rule as to the validity of the Asylum Ban if Certiorari is granted. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Roberts, who last month rebuked Trump over his criticism of the judiciary, joined liberal Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor against the administration.

Kind of lost is that Ginsburg's vote wasn't needed.

A 4-4 vote sustains the Appeal's decision that went against Trump.

This appears to be a sound and level headed decision on the part of Roberts. Nice to see the highest court in the land, refusing to engage in Trump style partisan politics. With Trump's crushing defeat in the House, 2019 is going to be a very difficult year for Trump. His days of utter domination are over. I full well expect him to become even more sour than usual. 

It's a good ruling, but the Reuters article here does a poor job in not distinguishing that the court's ruling was made more on procedural grounds (allowing the case to proceed thru the lower courts as normal) vs. making a SC judgment on the merits of the legal issues involved.

Roberts' vote here MIGHT be an indicator of how he's inclined to rule on the merits of the case, if it ends up reaching the SC in the future. But it might also be just a vote to allow the normal federal appeals process to play out without exceptional intervention by the high court.