Brit who broke neck diving into shallow end of pool to return home on Christmas Day

rooster59

9 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I do not trust insurance companies as from experience i am sure that if there is the slightest sniff of avoidance they will jump at it. Last year i had a bad fall the night before a long haul flight, and was not able to fly for a week, i know that one of the questions was "had i been drinking"  but no i was at home reading. They at first declined but i fought my claim and 4 months later was paid my lost airfare. The insurance was taken out by ticking a box on inline booking. The airline's insurance company eventually came good, so the airline shall remain nameless although it was one of the world's best. I often wonder, just how many people pay that extra for insurance and never have to make a claim, so it must be a very lucrative business.

They paid your claim so what is your complaint about them?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ossy said:

Perhaps an unfair judgement, J1V, since nine'll get you ten that there wasn't a 'shallow' sign at the pool, then . . . but there probably will be now.

And it's not "normal" to ride a motor cycle or drive a car out onto the road without first looking where you are going. Signs should be used but commonsense comes first.

Happy she is going home and hope she does recover. 

14 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I just love that word "recklessly" when you want to win a point, especially without proof.

Where exactly was I using the word "recklessly" in order to win a point [sic] without proof?

The word was used by the insurer in it's justification of refusing the claim of the girl.

Edited by Just Weird

14 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I do not trust insurance companies as from experience i am sure that if there is the slightest sniff of avoidance they will jump at it. Last year i had a bad fall the night before a long haul flight, and was not able to fly for a week, i know that one of the questions was "had i been drinking"  but no i was at home reading. They at first declined but i fought my claim and 4 months later was paid my lost airfare. The insurance was taken out by ticking a box on inline booking. The airline's insurance company eventually came good, so the airline shall remain nameless although it was one of the world's best. I often wonder, just how many people pay that extra for insurance and never have to make a claim, so it must be a very lucrative business.

"I often wonder, just how many people pay that extra for insurance and never have to make a claim, so it must be a very lucrative business".

That's the nature of the insurance business!   It's a gamble taken by both the insurer and the insured.  Do you not also wonder how many people do make a claim and are compensated?

Do you have a problem with businesses being successful and lucrative?  If they weren't lucrative there would not be any insurance companies to take care of those who find themselves in need of assistance, would there?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Where exactly was I using the word "recklessly" in order to win a point [sic] without proof?

The word was used by the insurer in it's justification of refusing the claim of the girl.

I will use it.

There are several possible definitions but a perfect fit is:  without caution.

If a person jumps into a pool they should make the cautious effort of checking the depth 100 % of time.

She failed to do so therefore no claim should be paid.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I will use it.

There are several possible definitions but a perfect fit is:  without caution.

If a person jumps into a pool they should make the cautious effort of checking the depth 100 % of time.

She failed to do so therefore no claim should be paid.

I know what the word means, thanks, that wasn't my question!

• Haha 1

i take insurance out and make sure i have cover for scooter and motorbike.the do,s and don,t,s of the policy.i know i will not jump into a shallow pool and ride the scooter drunk.i would be a fool  and after i would beg please help me  pay my hospital bill can you help.i may not claim  anything but i know if anything happens i,am covered legally.the family concerned could have remortaged they home or anything else of friends to avoid begging.they will  not like these comments but she was stupid enough to dive into a shallow pool and expect others strangers to bail her out  and the family can say thankyou everyone for the donation. and we as a family, it does not cost us money to get her back.the insurance is correct and not cover her for what she done,the family expect miracles and expect others to pay for her mistake.sorry i will  not donate and know many who think the same.my friend who lives in pai heard about this case and he said he would give 65 baht  to her cause if he felt generous.it was her fault  and  the cost must remain with the family or herself to pay the bill and get her home

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-46685948

Insure and Go said in a statement: "We do understand that people go on holiday to have fun and enjoy themselves, but we are not able to cover circumstances where the customer has acted in a way that puts themselves at risk.

"This is clearly stated in the policy terms and conditions."

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 10:42 AM, DrJack54 said:

There was a previous mention of her insurance company name. Can anyone update that info. Bit unrelated to this young lady, however insurance cover is a big problem. In particular fact many insurance companies do not cover motorbike accidents (small print). In this case didn't cover pool accident.

I wonder if insurance from a "GOOD" company could be offered to tourists visiting los. Recently a young Australian man passed away after being flown back to au after motorbike crash. He also used go fund me. I personally was surprised that this ladies gofundme raised so much money. A credit to those that supported her. Now we all hope for full recovery.

She was insured with "insure and go" they refused to pay out stating that they do not cover people who put their lives at risk and then went on to say its in the terms and conditions and then you wonder why people dont trust insurance companies.

7 minutes ago, nong38 said:

She was insured with "insure and go" they refused to pay out stating that they do not cover people who put their lives at risk and then went on to say its in the terms and conditions and then you wonder why people dont trust insurance companies.

I just Googled them and the results were quite interesting. However I couldn't find the tiny print that gives them a get out clause.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-46685948  

Insure and Go said in a statement: "We do understand that people go on holiday to have fun and enjoy themselves, but we are not able to cover circumstances where the customer has acted in a way that puts themselves at risk.

"This is clearly stated in the policy terms and conditions."

They should give a list of things that "put themselves at risk" based on that people can clearly see whether insurance is worthwhile.Walking about in Thailand is putting yourself at risk. Personally i would avoid Insure & Go and find an insurance company with less get outs

On 12/22/2018 at 9:10 AM, mogandave said:

Hardly a happy ending, but nice she’ll get home okay. 

So young and (apparently) crippled fo life. 

Good luck.

Paralysed not crippled.. Cripple is a horrible outdated word.. paralysed maybe not.. she will find out for sure back in the UK

Paralysed not crippled.. Cripple is a horrible outdated word.. paralysed maybe not.. she will find out for sure back in the UK

Well I’m sure she’ll be happy to hear that.

Oh, wait a minute, she is an outdated word as well isn’t it? You should be more careful...

Regarding previous Motor Cycle reference with NationWide cover ( part of Flexplus) my understanding is that their insurance covers hospital care for injuries in accidents where you legally drive said vehicle in your own country so youngsters driving  bikes without UK licences etc are hit hard ( forgive pun)