Quiet days on Koh Samui...

Well, I thought Hua Hin quieter too than before. Seeing or hearing  Brits this year here is as rare as snow in Issan. Thailands currency too high for Brexit Brits as the UK sinks into poor currency status and unpredictability.

Edited by peter48

What really annoys me is the inflated prices for Christmas and New Year meals/events. In the U.K. I can understand it as the Staff have too be paid double time etc to work over certain holiday days.

Here in Thailand I doubt very much the Staff get enhanced rates for working over the holidays so why inflate the prices, simple greedy restaurant owners trying too cash in and I find the U.K. owners the worst offenders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peter48 said:

Well, I thought Hua Hin quieter too than before. Seeing or hearing  Brits this year here is as rare as snow in Issan. Thailands currency too high for Brexit Brits as the UK sinks into poor currency status and unpredictability.

Maybe your ear is only attuned to London accents, or maybe it is just wishful thinking on your part.

I have lived in Hua Hin full time since March. High Seasoon started quietly, but over the last week more people have arrived, and plenty of them have British accents of various types.

I lived on Samui from 2013-17. In the last three years or so there had been a gradual decline in numbers, although there had also been a change in the type of tourists coming: more young families and Asians.

The 60 day millionaires who blew their money on booze, birds and late breakfasts have been slowly disappearing, and that was happening before the Brexit referendum in June 2016.

One of my friends, who lives on Samui has just sent me this comment:

“I went to Macro Christmas Eve...about 10 shoppers in the entire place...can it be the high prices they are charging... or this new government hiking all the taxes onto the stratosphere...? Cigarettes have gone from 23 Baht a pack to 99 Baht...beer, 89 Baht a bottle from 27 a few years back...do people feel like they are being f***ed, and have ventured over to Vietnam by any chance...?”

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, khunPer said:

And Bangkok Air got nothing to do with Chinese tourists staying away.

In my opinion we Samuians shall be happy for Bangkok Air are saving "our" island. If we had cheap affordable airplane tickets Samui had been "killed" long time ago with overloads of package tourists, many fold more than even working incinerators could handle garbage from, not to forget water and power supply, and the traffic on the Ring Road.

If the tourists were available, could you imagine what Samui would be like, if the number doubled..?

Perhaps for some residents its better but I don't think the investors agree with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What really annoys me is the inflated prices for Christmas and New Year meals/events. In the U.K. I can understand it as the Staff have too be paid double time etc to work over certain holiday days.

Here in Thailand I doubt very much the Staff get enhanced rates for working over the holidays so why inflate the prices, simple greedy restaurant owners trying too cash in and I find the U.K. owners the worst offenders.

Those taxi prices posted on Twitter for Koh Samui are they real?

image.png.c6da40a0f5175529b188f3e1f4e9dbc0.png

Edited by yimlitnoy
Grammar correction
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2018 at 12:21 PM, spidermike007 said:

Years ago, when I used to live on Samui, it got so packed during peak season, it was hard to park your motorbike, in Central Lamai. This is the slowest peak season in memory. That is the case all over Thailand. Prayuth has done everything in his power to sabotage the tourism industry, in regard to Western tourism, which used to be the golden egg. He is also sabotaging the goodwill of many ex-pats with his biggest fool, the biggest joke, their xenophobic behavior, and fake nationalism nonsense. 

Tourism being down is a bonus for us. But, there are an awful lot of Thai people that are really hurting right now. And do the authorities care? Not one iota.

Wait for the 70 and over retiree crowd being required to buy 400K THB worth of unnecessary insurance for 100K/year.  That will thin the expats out.  An no, they won't care.  However, the families left behind will be back to poverty and trying to earn a living by going back into tourist related service industries isn't going to pan out.  The Thai government seems to be on course to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

• Like 1

Beach walk update: Some peak-season customers seem to arrive little later, today the 5-star resort if full in both front row and 2nd row. Also my neighboring affordable boutique resort says the are full – hard to believe, but so the manager says – and they even expanded their room capacity by 12 percent for this season, and 40 percent a few years back...????

20 minutes ago, connda said:

Wait for the 70 and over retiree crowd being required to buy 400K THB worth of unnecessary insurance for 100K/year.

The mandatory insurance suggestion was for (the newer) non-o long-stay visas, not for extension of stay based on retirement.