The UK round pork pie

Kwasaki

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What about the all important question - piccalilli or English mustard?

I wasn't sure you'd touch that ( ☺️ ) but to be serious it's readily available in Macro but I find it (Coleman's) loses strength a week or so after opening the pot.

Another resident makes piccalilli here too & I'm told it's great.

HTH 

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:

A friend here (Samui) makes them to order, including a Gala pie the size of a house brick.

Image may contain: dessert and food

From his FB page ????

Wow ! What price are they please ? I'm drooling and thinking of Branston pickle and cheddar cheese,pickled onions to complete the plate.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

I wasn't sure you'd touch that ( ☺️ ) but to be serious it's readily available in Macro but I find it (Coleman's) loses strength a week or so after opening the pot.

HTH 

To be honest, I reach for the piccalilli but you shouldn't read too much into that ????

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

To be honest, I reach for the piccalilli but you shouldn't read too much into that ????

Bill has worked in a pickle factory for several years. One day he confesses to his wife that he has a terrible urge to stick his willy into the pickle slicer. His wife suggests that he see a therapist to talk about it, but Bill vows to overcome this rash desire on his own.

A few weeks later, Bill returns home absolutely ashen. His wife asks, "What's wrong, Bill?"

"Do you remember how I told you about my tremendous urge to put my willy into the pickle slicer?"

His wife gasps, "My God, Bill, what happened?"

"I got fired."

"No, Bill -- I mean, what happened with the pickle slicer?"

"Oh, um, she got fired, too."

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

PLEASE don't start a thread on pork pies without a photo! I started drooling before opening the thread only to be disappointed ????

Here's photo, the stuff of picnics on the beach ????

pork-pie-cropped.jpg?itok=MwQi-gk8

And a recipe if you can't find them https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/raised-pork-pie

????  Hope i can find someone to post to me pork pies to Sukhothai, HP sauce not a problem in Big'C. ????

On 12/25/2018 at 2:29 PM, evadgib said:

A friend here (Samui) makes them to order, including a Gala pie the size of a house brick.

Image may contain: dessert and food

From his FB page ????

I make my own.

I made 2 gala pies last week and took them to a mates place on Sunday but brought one back home and I quite often make pork pies.

The problem is that I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and I make them just for myself and friends.

The gala pies weigh around 1.5 kg and the pork pies are around 350 to 400 g each.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I make my own.

I made 2 gala pies last week and took them to a mates place on Sunday but brought one back home and I quite often make pork pies.

The problem is that I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and I make them just for myself and friends.

The gala pies weigh around 1.5 kg and the pork pies are around 350 to 400 g each.

What do you use (ingredients) when making the pastry Bill?

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

What do you use (ingredients) when making the pastry Bill?

Here is the recipe I used  and I cooked both pies in a loaf tin. The parchment paper was a little short on the first pie and it was difficult to get it out of the tin bur the second pie was easier.

It took me about 7 hours from start to finish for both pies but that included starting from scratch, through mincing the meat, leaving it over night, making the pastry and the cooking for about 2 hours plus cleaning the meat grinder and the stand mixer and washing up at the end.

Pork, Egg & Ham Pie v01.doc

Making pork pies (and other pies that use hot water crust pastry) is very satisfying and not very hard if you can follow a recipe. The main difficulty I found here is obtaining the lard. The other difficulty is getting the shape of the pie right and not making the walls too thick. It helps if you have a wooden rolling pin of suitable diameter to use as a mould, or indeed a proper baking mould to work with. I like the silicone ones as they clean easily and never stick.

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

It took me about 7 hours from start to finish for both pies but that included starting from scratch, through mincing the meat, leaving it over night, making the pastry and the cooking for about 2 hours plus cleaning the meat grinder and the stand mixer and washing up at the end.

I found that using a mixture of ready-minced pork from Makro and pieces of pork that I diced finely myself saved a lot of time and cleaning up.

On 12/25/2018 at 2:36 PM, evadgib said:

HTH 

If you can get it, better to buy Coleman's English mustard powder, then make it yourself. For Samui residents, they have (or did have) Hayward's Piccalilli in the Expat shop, next to the Irish Times Pub, on ring road, near Tesco. 

52 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I found that using a mixture of ready-minced pork from Makro and pieces of pork that I diced finely myself saved a lot of time and cleaning up.

In the Makro that I use, the ready minced pork is not as good quality as the pork that my wife orders from the pork lady.

She can order it up to about 7 pm and it is delivered to the house the next morning by 6:30. She also orders a whole leg of pork that I use some for roasting and I the make my own honey and mustard ham, using Coleman's English mustard powder and Thai honey. 

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In the Makro that I use, the ready minced pork is not as good quality as the pork that my wife orders from the pork lady.

She can order it up to about 7 pm and it is delivered to the house the next morning by 6:30. She also orders a whole leg of pork that I use some for roasting and I the make my own honey and mustard ham, using Coleman's English mustard powder and Thai honey. 

Do you dry or wet cure Bill, have you got the recipe please?

55 minutes ago, phetphet said:

If you can get it, better to buy Coleman's English mustard powder, then make it yourself. For Samui residents, they have (or did have) Hayward's Piccalilli in the Expat shop, next to the Irish Times Pub, on ring road, near Tesco. 

Japanese Wasabi (same as horseradish sauce) blows yer socks off and is widely available in green bottles, tubs or tubes:

Image result for wasabi sauce

I am partial to the loaf type pies as opposed to the round ones. I am fortunate that a friend makes them for me on occasion as I am not a great fan of Lady Pie products. I see it as one of my 'treats'. There is a place in Phuket that does nice kippers as well.

For those who find Colman's goes off buy it or the McGarrett powder in a tin and make it on an as need basis. I would be tempted to put the tin in an airtight bag once opened as it can go off in time. Mcgarrett also do a wasabi powder.

Archived