My USA Drivers License Has Expired No Bank Account

My USA  drivers license has expired and now I need to open a new bank account in the USA online.

Banks use your drivers license as proof of your physical address which I no longer have.

Anyone open a bank account without a valid drivers license?

Edited by NCC1701A

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes you can.  I opened a bank account with CapOne this year....used my US passport as my US drivers license had also expired.  Capone accepts a US passport, US drivers license/State ID, and/or Military ID as account opening ID.  Probably some other IDs are acceptable but the ones mentioned above were identified upfront during the application process

OK! I'm off to cap one. Thanks.

Edited by NCC1701A

I've had various U.S. banks say and post on their websites that they accept either a passport or a DL (or other similar IDs) as a primary ID when opening a new account. And on those few instances where I actually tried to use my passport instead of my DL for that purpose, those banks ended up wanting to see my DL anyway.

• Thanks 1

"A CapOne human (CSR) cannot approve whatever document you upload....only their computer can approved it."

I had precisely this very frustrating experience recently, though not with a bank. You'd think CS could help, but no. They can't even tell you what the probem is, just keep repeating that you have to submit a clear photo. So try Photoshop, turning the contrast up high and using a sharpening filter. Make sure you input your name precisely as it appears on your passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, taxout said:

"A CapOne human (CSR) cannot approve whatever document you upload....only their computer can approved it."

I had precisely this very frustrating experience recently, though not with a bank. You'd think CS could help, but no. They can't even tell you what the probem is, just keep repeating that you have to submit a clear photo. So try Photoshop, turning the contrast up high and using a sharpening filter. Make sure you input your name precisely as it appears on your passport.

For this scan CapOne sends you a weblink via email during the application process.  You click that link and it fires up a webapp that takes the scan/picture and interfaces with the CapOne computer....gives you the thumbs up or down.

You can not upload a scan you make in a separate program like Photoshop probably because with Photoshop a person could alter the scan/photo.  So, only the weblink/app CapOne emails you can be used...and it gives you three tries to get your scan approved by the CapOne computer then that weblink/app won't work.  But if the first three tries fail you can call CapOne, explain the problem and they'll send you another weblink for three more tries. 

• Like 2
On 1/2/2019 at 6:52 PM, Pib said:

Yes you can.  I opened a bank account with CapOne this year....used my US passport as my US drivers license had also expired.  Capone accepts a US passport, US drivers license/State ID, and/or Military ID as account opening ID.  Probably some other IDs are acceptable but the ones mentioned above were identified upfront during the application process

what did you use as a address?

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

what did you use as a address?

I used my military (retired) APO address here in Thailand...ditto for my Capone credit cards.  CapOne accepts APO/FPO addresses just like actually having a "physical" address in the 50 states.   CapOne is military friendly (retired and active). Most banks will not accept an APO address for the physical address; will only accept it as a mailing address.  USAA also accepts APO addresses as a physical address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Pib said:

I used my military (retired) APO address here in Thailand...ditto for my Capone credit cards.  CapOne accepts APO/FPO addresses just like actually having a "physical" address in the 50 states.   CapOne is military friendly (retired and active). Most banks will not accept an APO address for the physical address; will only accept it as a mailing address.  USAA also accepts APO addresses as a physical address.

OK thanks. my problem is I don't have a physical address in the USA so I can't open an account. 

Open a Schwab brokerage account online and and use it as a savings and checking account. They give you a debit card and ABA and routing numbers and even a checkbook. They don’t ask for any photo ID, just a SSN and ask you questions from your credit history. I think you need to have a US mailing address though.

• Like 2

Let us know if you are successful in getting the account as I'll be wanting to do something similar.  I do have a valid Driver's License (if I can find it) that has my old Florida address on it.  Of course, I no longer live there but I guess I could use it as a physical address.  I do maintain a mailing address (through Traveling Mailbox) in Florida but if someone is interested in finding out they can tell it's a registered Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA).  It offers both scanning of mail and forwarding.  My hope would be to give my old physical address and current mailing address in the hopes that might work as I would be unable to retrieve any mail at my physical address.

• Thanks 1

This won't help the OP now but may be a helpful tip in the future.  When you renew your US passport spend an extra $30 and get a passport card in addition to your new US passport.  The passport card is intended to be used to enter the US from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, and can be used as ID for domestic air travel in the US.  But, its main benefit to an expat is as a second form of US government-issued photo ID in addition to your passport.

There are certain situations in which you are asked for two forms of photo ID and the passport card works perfectly for this.  In fact, it helped me get my Florida Driver's License, which was a federal REAL-ID compliant one and not easy to get (compared to driver's licenses in the past).

In the topic under discussion having another photo ID might make it possible to get it machine-accepted if you are experiencing trouble getting your passport accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Zack61 said:

Too bad if you don’t drive and don’t have a DL

I think every state also offers an ID card that is similar in all respects to a DL but without allowing you to drive.  To use Florida as an example, they offer you a Florida ID through the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (same place you get your DL).  You can have either a Florida DL or a Florida ID card, not both.  I think all states do this, although it may go by a slightly different name depending on the state.  As far as ID purposes are concerned it is exactly equivalent to the DL.  In other words, if an application requires a DL then you may substitute the ID card instead.

• Like 2

I used a friends address in the US and a scanned copy of my passport for ID (no drivers license either) at Bank of America and had no Issues. But you need to find a friend who will forward the mail (with the ATM/Credit cards, etc), everything else can be done online.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zack61 said:

Too bad if you don’t drive and don’t have a DL

As skatewash already mentioned, each state provides a State ID if you can't get/don't want a State Drivers License.   For identification purposes it serves the exact same propose.  But to get a State ID you still have to provide required residence/ID proof pretty much like getting a DL short of the DL test.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jasonsamui55 said:

Open a Schwab brokerage account online and and use it as a savings and checking account. They give you a debit card and ABA and routing numbers and even a checkbook. They don’t ask for any photo ID, just a SSN and ask you questions from your credit history. I think you need to have a US mailing address though.

You will still need to enter a US physical address during the application....and like most account applications you can add a separate mailing address.   Then Schwab will do a hard credit report to confirm you are associated with that physical address in credit reports.

If you don't have a US physical address (a.k.a., legal residence) Schawb will most likely say Sorry Charlie for a "US" brokerage/bank account and will refer you to opening a Schwab "International" brokerage account which has different rules, minimum opening amounts ($10K opening amount I think it is)....can do that no problem with a foreign address like in Thailand.

It can get harder to "open" a US financial/bank account after moving from the US if you can't maintain some type of US physical residence.  Now get the account opened "before" you turn into an expat and retire to Thailand and then "most" banks/financial companies have no problem in using your foreign address/continuing the account/debit & credit cards.  

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, skatewash said:

I've been a satisfied customer of this service for six years.  They offer several different mailing addresses in the US.  I have to pay a small premium to get a Florida address so it costs me a bit more but it's worth it as Florida is my tax home in the US (no state income tax).  They offer a service package with free envelope scanning of received mail and you can have any letter you choose scanned (obviously it is then accessible online), forwarded to you, or shredded.  I'm pleased with the service.  They will even send any checks you receive to be deposited in your bank for an extra fee.  I almost never have to have mail forwarded since in 98% of the cases seeing the scanned copy online is sufficient.

The one negative thing I would say about the service is that they won't forward packages to Thailand as this country is apparently on their naughty list (apparently Thailand figures prominently in many fraudulent transactions, go figure ???? ) which means I have to use another package consolidator/shipper in the US when I have the rare need to ship something from the states to Thailand.  Aside from that one complaint, I'm a happy customer.

Ive been with them for a year and theyre good. I didnt realize they don't forward to Thailand. One thing I dont like is they dont use fedex or dhl only USP. 

6 hours ago, skatewash said:

I've been a satisfied customer of this service for six years.  They offer several different mailing addresses in the US.  I have to pay a small premium to get a Florida address so it costs me a bit more but it's worth it as Florida is my tax home in the US (no state income tax).  They offer a service package with free envelope scanning of received mail and you can have any letter you choose scanned (obviously it is then accessible online), forwarded to you, or shredded.  I'm pleased with the service.  They will even send any checks you receive to be deposited in your bank for an extra fee.  I almost never have to have mail forwarded since in 98% of the cases seeing the scanned copy online is sufficient.

The one negative thing I would say about the service is that they won't forward packages to Thailand as this country is apparently on their naughty list (apparently Thailand figures prominently in many fraudulent transactions, go figure ???? ) which means I have to use another package consolidator/shipper in the US when I have the rare need to ship something from the states to Thailand.  Aside from that one complaint, I'm a happy customer.

This service looks interesting and I want to use them. What do I do when I have credit card updates sent to US? Is there some workaround to send them to this service and then to my home in Thailand? I keep a few US credit cards. 

Thanks.

36 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

This service looks interesting and I want to use them. What do I do when I have credit card updates sent to US? Is there some workaround to send them to this service and then to my home in Thailand? I keep a few US credit cards. 

Thanks.

Well, since I don't generally want my American financial institutions to know I live overseas, they will normally send a new credit card to my mailing address in the US and then I'll have it scanned (doesn't cost anything) and have them forward it to me in Thailand.  The cost for forwarding mail is not too expensive.  They won't forward packages, but mail (letters) are not a problem.

I lost a credit card once and called my bank to cancel it and ask them to send the replacement to me while I was on "vacation" in Thailand.  Worked out fine, saved me the cost of shipping it myself.

I've heard stories about American financial institutions wanting to close accounts or place restrictions on accounts when they find out the customer lives overseas so I don't volunteer that information.

• Like 1