How about Philippines?

scubascuba3

The similar Vietnam thread has been interesting. How about Philippines as an alternative?

I'm toying with 6 months Philippines and 6 months Thailand or a a variation of that.

Best places for expats?

Places to avoid?

As good as Thailand?

Visa situation?

Expat life, all aspects?

Although i like the option of bars I'm more into exercise, Cycling, walking, Trekking

Forget it.
Deported for being rude!!

Borrowed from another poster

New Philippines Immigration Reform Act filed. If the recent price increases, violence escalation, infrastructure or lack thereof, and general lack of fair and due process doesn't convince you to go elsewhere, the new Philippines Immigration Reform Act will. It gives wide and vague latitude for Immigration and Police to basically do whatever they feel like with you. Here are a few new highlights:

● Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary 
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year.
● Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH
● New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa. - [MTV] Speechless
● Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu 
● Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless
● Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody?
● Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis
● Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter,   

• Like 2

Forget it.

New Philippines Immigration Reform Act filed. If the recent price increases, violence escalation, infrastructure or lack thereof, and general lack of fair and due process doesn't convince you to go elsewhere, the new Philippines Immigration Reform Act will. It gives wide and vague latitude for Immigration and Police to basically do whatever they feel like with you. Here are a few new highlights:

● Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary 
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year.
● Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH
● New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa. - [MTV] Speechless
● Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu 
● Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless
● Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody?
● Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis
● Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter,   

Doesn't sound good but plenty of expats live there. The guys i know that go there always talk highly of it but are only there for a few weeks

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
26 minutes ago, madmen said:
Forget it.

Doesn't sound good but plenty of expats live there. The guys i know that go there always talk highly of it but are only there for a few weeks

Doesn't sound good is being to kind. It's shocking! 

Not many options left in South East Asia. The only real alternative is Vietnam but that comes with its own set of problems 

Indeed it is disconcerting when you first see all the armed guards - but they are seldom needed.  It does provide basic employment to a large number of people however and the cost is low for the apparent added protection.  

• Like 2

Perhaps the best plan is to move around for six months and try to stay in Thailand for two 3 month stretches each year. So Philippine’s, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia to fill the gap. I also. Spent a month in Bali off season. You will need a bigger budget though, but certainly doable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed it is disconcerting when you first see all the armed guards - but they are seldom needed.  It does provide basic employment to a large number of people however and the cost is low for the apparent added protection.  

Many many years ago there was an armed guard at a place I used to visit.Robbers turned up, the guard dropped the shotgun and ran away.Of course if I was paid 40 pesos[I think that was the going rate then if I remember correctly] a shift I'd run too.

16 hours ago, kenk24 said:

When I heard that there are armed guards at nearly every store, I lost interest in visiting PPI..

Did you hear about the episode in Pattaya few years back when a security guard outside Bangkok Bank in Soi Bhoukhao pulled a gun on a farang for parking in the wrong spot?

19 hours ago, madmen said:

Forget it.

And I imagine you certainly do NOT want to spend five (5) years in a Filipino prison.

I wouldn't want to live in Angeles, it's like a poor man's downmarket version of the worst bits of Pattaya. Subic Bay isn't far away though and it's quite nice, Olongapo and Barrio Baretto.

I'm interested in having a closer look at the Batangas area, some nice spots there like Tagaytay and Lipa. I've driven through the area numerous times on my way to and from the port at Batangas to get the ferry to and from Mindoro (I had friends who ran a hotel just outside Sabang), but I've never stopped to look around. The best areas are quite high up with stunning views and a cooler climate.

And then there's Davao City, supposed to be the safest place in the PI for expats. I gather that the traffic can be pretty awful as in most Filipino cities, but land seems reasonably priced so you should be able to build a nice house. Not sure about shopping though, one guy who'd recently been there told me the selection of imported food is better than in Thailand, while other's have said that there's littel imported stuff available.

One thing for sure - wherever you live in the PI you won't have to pay the totally daft Thai taxes on imported wine and spirits. I'm so fed up with this in Thailand, I like a glass of good wine with my meal in the evening but I can't abide the awful fruit wines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kenk24 said:

When I heard that there are armed guards at nearly every store, I lost interest in visiting PPI..

Sure, it would likely be ok in the store, but what about if I had to leave the store and... I would be walking about unarmed amongst?? 

As to Trekking... I guess you can watch Star Trek wherever you are... 

A huge overstatement there. While most banks have armed guards outside,  the types of stores that most expats would use generally have no more than an unarmed security presence. 

I have lived in Manila for 5 years without any issues. Sure there are many places I would not go alone, but that could be said of most big cities. 

A huge overstatement there. While most banks have armed guards outside,  the types of stores that most expats would use generally have no more than an unarmed security presence. 

I have lived in Manila for 5 years without any issues. Sure there are many places I would not go alone, but that could be said of most big cities. 
I honestly can't think of any where in bangkok that I wouldn't go alone. There is no danger zone I have heard of
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I wouldn't want to live in Angeles, it's like a poor man's downmarket version of the worst bits of Pattaya. Subic Bay isn't far away though and it's quite nice, Olongapo and Barrio Baretto.

Five years ago would likely agree on Angeles - but Fields Ave is only a small area of the city now and on the old airbase very upmarket facilities are built and being built and even in the red light areas new building is going on from my understanding (remote as it is).  Subic/Olongapo seems to be the cheap destination now and mostly old facilities.  But as mentioned Angeles might be considered a meeting place - move to seaside locations after finding right person.

• Like 1

Forget it.

I guess I must be on borrowed time then. Like in most cities in Asia, drivers in Philippines have an arrogant assumption that pedestrians have to get out of their way - except in the area I live, Bonifacio Global City, where drivers are required by city ordinance to give way to pedestrians. Unfortunately many drivers find it inconceivable that they should observe pedestrian crossings which leads me, regularly, to cursing them in a very loud, vigorous manner. Other than a few responding in kind, I have never had any issues in this regard.

To be fair, a business partner was once charged by the police with calling a Swedish boat owner a 'sh!t' but nothing significant came of it. 

• Like 1

Doesn't sound good is being to kind. It's shocking! 

Not many options left in South East Asia. The only real alternative is Vietnam but that comes with its own set of problems 

I think just about every country has problems with the ordinary people always being bullied by their government just because they have the power, and I believe the Thai government is one of the worst where bullying expats is concerned.

As for some, although a very small minority, of Thaivisa members with their disgraceful attitude of "if you don't like it go home", the good still outweighs the bad in Thailand compared to the UK.

• Thanks 1