Thai Idol Group BNK48 Member Wears Nazi Flag on Stage

rooster59

23 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Yes but if someone has no knowledge of the original then they assume that anything similar is just a stylised version of the nazi flag.

Like a patpong Lolex watch. ????

But Thais do have knowledge of the original. They have no knowledge of the Nazi flag.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as there is ignorance amongst many as to the modern connotations of the swastika there is as much ignorance as to it's origins and history in various formats.

Hitler and his lot adopted the symbol. They did not create it.

For thousands of years it has  featured in Hindu and Buddhist cultures so could be considered appropriate for a Thai to feature.

That it is considered offensive to the minds and minimal memories of  many other cultures does not justify immediate condemnation especially in Asia.

There are prolific garments sold in Thailand printed with words and images that would likely be cause for arrest in Western countries if worn in public. Amusing to some but offensive to others.

I recall from 10 years back a  major franchise retailer having massive stocks in mid  December of  very good quality white t-shirts at a very low cost that were printed  with " Happy Clitoris and Merry New Year".

I doubt the majority of Thai buyers had any idea what meaning of it but I am damn sure the designer did.

Wearing one of those in many parts of the western world would likely invoke abuse from many quarters including the  feminist brigades.

Interestingly the display of the  Nazi flag is legal and unregulated in Israel unlike  many other countries.

Just now, mok199 said:

In a nation where they name a giraffe ''Bin Laden''...the ignorance never fails to amuse me..

Why was that "ignorant" 

The giraffe escaped and caused lots of damage to property and so they named him "Bin Laden" (who also caused a lot of damage to property)

What is ignorant about that ?

36 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That was a fancy dress party and he wore that because his school friends were ridiculing him and his families German connections , a fancy dress party , nothing to do with politics

I'm not aware that Princess Diana or James Hewitt had any German connections.

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why was that "ignorant" 

The giraffe escaped and caused lots of damage to property and so they named him "Bin Laden" (who also caused a lot of damage to property)

What is ignorant about that ?

Everything is ignorant about that and the most stupid comparison ever aside of the fact that Bin Laden did not cause damage to property himself. 
Your replies here seem to be typical Xenophobic Thai style. 

Also to reply you or FritsSikkink his earlier comment, as a 27 years old, we got taught about Asian history too in Holland. Then again, this is about a WORLD WAR.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

How much do you know about Asian history?

Probably more than most Thais, Thais rarely know anything about their own REAL history, so we can't expect them to be aware about European events given the state of Thai education and TV.

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

Oh, come on. This was mass genocide. Even the thickest westerner is aware of what went on in Cambodia, Tibet, Indonesia and currently in Myanmar.

Disagree.

Ask any Western 14-18 y/o student anything about the above (bar Myanmar - as it's fairly current) and they would not have a clue.

A fair few would not even know where Tibet is on a map or that it is a country.

The modern lot / current generation are REMARKABLY THICK.

2 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

How much do Thais know about Asian History?

How much does Thai history as taught in the schools reflect historical research versus how much of it is government indoctrination in well-worn and convenient myth for social conditioning?

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am quite sure that they just liked the design and were unaware of its implications .

Just a fashion mistake , rather than a Political statement .

Dont do it again, no harm done .

How about more evidence of the horrible state of history education here in Thailand.

I'm pretty sure this particular performer didn't intend to be making a political statement with the clothing. However, even for a young person to be totally unaware of what that symbol stands for is pretty alarming.

And it didn't involve some small two-bit country in a remote part of the world. It involved a world war that pretty much engulfed everyone, including Thailand at the time. No excuses.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

How much do you know about Asian history?

Generaly the management team are adults and if the group are so good they'd have an well oiled management team, they also would have a stage dress designer who also wouldn't be a teenager, and to answer your question FritsSikkink,  the Thai crew as I call them, I know more about Asia than they have knowledge of the western world, they didn't even know that old joke, why did the chicken cross the road.

They do now.

40 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Because it affects Americans ?

What about the first Russian in space or the Chinese/Vietnam war or the Tutsi massacres  in Africa or the mass killing of American Indians ?

Why should the world know more about the USA/Vietnam conflict , moreso than the Saudi/Yeman conflict or any other conflict in the world( that doesnt involve the USA)?

I made a brief comment about a few notable historic events, no need to get carried away over the many that I did not mention. Should we go back to discussing  the atrocities of the Roman Empire. Also Saudi Yemeni war is not an historic event it is current.

Her manager most probably asked her to wear it to get some new attention on the group and it's working. This will always work.. In fact I bet this will be the first time many people internationally have even heard of the group. Don't be so quick to condescend, "oh they're just dumb, they don't know what it means!" It's a clever marketing ploy.

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

Oh, come on. This was mass genocide. Even the thickest westerner is aware of what went on in Cambodia, Tibet, Indonesia and currently in Myanmar.

Having told my Uncle I am living in Thailand, he asked if I have learned to speak Chinese yet. Most Americans can not even tell where Thailand is located on a map, let alone any history.

1 minute ago, Greyhat said:

Her manager most probably asked her to wear it to get some new attention on the group and it's working. This will always work.. In fact I bet this will be the first time many people internationally have even heard of the group. Don't be so quick to condescend, "oh they're just dumb, they don't know what it means!" It's a clever marketing ploy.

Maybe somewhere else it would be a marketing ploy.

But here it's more likely that she has absolutely no idea of the symbol's significance. 

Schools don't teach anything  about the outside world. People aren't interested either.

Maybe its because Thais dont get the same indoctrination as Westerners.

Maybe because opposite to the French and the English, the Germans never tried to colonalize and enslave Asian People ?

I think they need more Jewish led Media and Universitys to make them know the unbiased Version of History.

Archived