Tourism - Pattaya

Thomas J

Just an observation.  When I was here last winter the beach seemed crowded as did the streets and restaurants.  This year when I am by Jomtien it seems far less crowded and at times in restaurants there are few if any people.  I see the official statements that tourism is up.  What is your impression? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madmen said:

Pattaya is very busy . Would be surprised if jomtien was quite

That would be the case, I was there just after new year and it was packed from Jomthien all the way to N. Pattaya.  New years itself I have never seen Phuket so crowded.  Too many naysayers these days.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Seems busy to me. Busier than I like anyway.

My Ex is on holiday with me presently. I brought her to Dongtan beach for a change from sitting at the pool in View Talay. She got the only bed available, there wasn't two beds available. I told her to "book" a bed for the next day if she liked it there. That evening I asked her if she booked a bed ...her reply..."I loved it there but couldn't book a bed...all booked up for the following two months"

The only chance to get one was when somebody finished using theirs and left...taking their towel with them. 

My Ex is on holiday with me presently. I brought her to Dongtan beach for a change from sitting at the pool in View Talay. She got the only bed available, there wasn't two beds available. I told her to "book" a bed for the next day if she liked it there. That evening I asked her if she booked a bed ...her reply..."I loved it there but couldn't book a bed...all booked up for the following two months"
  The only chance to get one was when somebody finished using theirs and left...taking their towel with them. 
A truly shocking story.

Why would you bring an ex to Pattaya?
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Problem in View Talay is that the sunbeds have to be booked from the restaurant. Restaurant owner is not very good to take care of the sunbed bookings. The other day she started to shout to a person to pay for the bed and get out of her country. No wonder tourist prefer not to stay in that beautiful View Talay swimming pool.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bbko said:

Tourism is up, but so many more places to eat, shop, drink, sleep, visit, etc they aren't confined to Beach Road or Central Festival, 

i think the same applies to the bars--ever increasing number of bars--therefore thy are less full...

Tourism is going up, but demographics have changed massively the last few years. But this is probably true for most destinations worldwide. Just been to Italy and a bunch of other European places. Tons of Asians. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese. Now for TH quality.... Comes not even close in any department be it nature, beaches, environment, hotels and resorts, friendliness and customer service, food, value for money, cultural sights and museums etc. etc. to any country I have visited... Bankgok and Pattaya are choking people with pollution. Smells from sewers are horrific, garbage and rubbish everywhere. Buildings falling apart and zero maintenance. Rude service in many places, rip-offs around every corner... Still good enough for another kind  of tourist... 

That is the future and many have left and will never come back... MS>

• Sad 1

I don't know about Jomtien but Pattaya and Naklua/Wong Amat are very busy.  Lots of people on Pattaya Beach every time we drive by and the beach is looking good--clean and now wide with the beach improvements.  Central Festival was busy on Monday--the line to get into the parking garage was backed up to Beach Road.  Thank goodness for T21 or it would have been even worse. 

• Like 1

I don't know about Jomtien but Pattaya and Naklua/Wong Amat are very busy.  Lots of people on Pattaya Beach every time we drive by and the beach is looking good--clean and now wide with the beach improvements.  Central Festival was busy on Monday--the line to get into the parking garage was backed up to Beach Road.  Thank goodness for T21 or it would have been even worse. 
Blown away by the width of the beach. After reading so many posts the beach was a disaster and sand washing away

Turns out to be typical TV nonsense.

The beach vendors will be pissed off as now there is 50 meters of long Beach in front of them where punters are sun baking free of harresment! Love it [emoji23]
  • Like 2

I know a few Aussies who missed going this year due to the strong baht its not a bargain anymore and Vietnam, Bali , Phillipines are better options for a cheaper more value holiday.

Those same guys are apparently going to the Phillipines instead.

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I know a few Aussies who missed going this year due to the strong baht its not a bargain anymore and Vietnam, Bali , Phillipines are better options for a cheaper more value holiday.

The baht is a little strong however the prices are very high. Grocery items are often four to five times more expensive than the USA. Wine is easily 3 times more than USA 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/29/2019 at 9:20 AM, madmen said:

Pattaya is very busy . Would be surprised if jomtien was quite

Agree, I live in JomTien and the beach chairs are full every day 'cept Wednesday whe they can;t be rented, then the beach is full of blanket/towel crowd.  The night market is full of Russian/Northern Europeans..............guess the poster doesn;t get out much dos he??

• Thanks 1

Agree, I live in JomTien and the beach chairs are full every day 'cept Wednesday whe they can;t be rented, then the beach is full of blanket/towel crowd.  The night market is full of Russian/Northern Europeans..............guess the poster doesn;t get out much dos he??
I doubt he is even in the country. Just another thinly veiled bash that losers like to get off on. Sad [emoji17] really

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

I doubt he is even in the country. Just another thinly veiled bash that losers like to get off on. Sad emoji17.png really

That would be one lonely person to post Crapola on a foreign country forum, I know I would never do that.

The difference between the currencies is not so big that 2 week millionaires would even notice.
The cheap Charlies counting every bean are western versions of zero dollar tourists drinking at 7/11 .

Nobody cares about them