Slightly worrying report in the news today

"... should show a minimum 800'000B balance every 3 months,

when they report to Immigration Centre"

Many don't report to an Immigration Centre every 3 months, only every year.

How will we show money online ? :wink:

BTW that just mean activity/profit for Agents could increase +300% :whistling:

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Plus, effectively, the financial requirement for a visa extension would increase, cause either one would have to keep the entire 800,000 baht in the bank for 'inspection' every 3 months, while living off other funds, or one would, after using part of the balance for running expenses, have the need to transfer more into the account within 3 months (or less) in order to comply with the new requirement.

• Like 1

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

Please ignore my ignorance, but isn't the money in the bank meant to be used for living expenses in Thailand? So what would be the point of 'not touching it'?

No ignorance but exactly what many understand and will do.

After the extension "eating up" all or part of the money and refill (transfer) in time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

No ignorance but exactly what many understand and will do.

After the extension "eating up" all or part of the money and refill (transfer) in time.

Sounds like fun doing it every 3 months! I know foreigners here who cannot even accumulate 400,000 baht in the bank in time for a visa extension based on marriage.

The report did not say the over 800k needs to be seasoned for the 90 day report show money thing. That would be a much worse. If no seasoning you could top up shortly before the reports and seasoning would only apply for the annual extensions.

In any case if they implement this seasoning or not I will be leaving Thailand.

Also this is another strong clue that the combo method without embassy letter is probably not going to really be accepted.

Such an onerous rule as in the announcement would probably mean the combo method would be finished even for people with embassy letters.

It sounds like the target here is everyone retired with an income under 65k monthly. That would mean the vast majority of Americans on social security.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

You misunderstand the process. The agents work for the TI, who profit from it (and promote and encourage it too). You need to get rid of the corrupt TI officials. Good luck with that.

Yes, I realize there is a parasitic relationship, but imho I do believe agents will become a thing of the past (at least for retirement/family extensions) for it's the agents' companies that are putting up the funds for misrepresentation and they are middle manning the fees to TI officer pockets. Getting rid of them puts the officers on shaky ground when they directly solicit for bribes from the applicant, the risks of being exposed greatly increases. Especially in this book of face society we presently reside in.

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Haha 1

BTW that just mean activity/profit for Agents could increase +300% :whistling:
Unless they're really serious about cracking down on the agents.
Buy you might be right.
It would be simple to identify the agents if they wanted to without this horribly onerous new proposal.

• Like 1

Instead of all this nonsense due to the scammers, just get rid of the agents! Yesterday it was posted one office is requiring all extensions to be applied for in person, to me this solves problems concerning misrepresentation of funds.

Very good point.

But think about it.

The real goal here sounds like it's not really about agents but about chasing away a large portion of even legitimate retirees making under 65k monthly.

It will work.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Very good point.

But think about it.

The real goal here sounds like it's not really about agents but about chasing away a large portion of even legitimate retirees making under 65k monthly.

It will work.

I hope not. It would be just another example of how the few screwed it up for the many.

42 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Instead of all this nonsense due to the scammers, just get rid of the agents! Yesterday it was posted one office is requiring all extensions to be applied for in person, to me this solves problems concerning misrepresentation of funds.

that has always been the rule and just who do you think agents work for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I am married to a Thai and never wanted to jeopardize my ability to reside here with her so I never even entertained trying to short cut the system. 

Your fear of wrongdoing didn't stop you buying a home in her name using your money (illegal).

What's the difference?

I can never understand foreigners who obsess about one law, but disregard others.

The whole point of a corrupt society is that anyone with money can overcome any law.

Edited by BritManToo