Thailand should welcome retirees

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yet you want a foreign retiree to invest over 16,000,000 baht to live in your country. Not very fair is it?

And where does this 16 million baht come from, if I may ask? 

I don't remember writing anything about my country's financial requirements for foreign retirees??? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Someone is certainly deluded here.

I hope you celebrate your 10,000th post by not using insults.

Apologies if you feel insulted, but how I see the word 'deluded' is obviously different. Wow 10,000, hadn't realized.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Those who dismiss retirees as small contributors to the economy, could also dismiss small farmers, shopkeepers, street vendors, artisans and craftmen, and let the whole economy in the hands of big corporations and their oligarchs... that would certainly be very pleasant... 

But small spenders are reserved for locals. Why do they allow foreign small spenders in their country living like locals? Everybody wins a genetic lottery when they are born. If you're born in a high wage country and want to live in a low wage country, you must come in between and spend like a middle wage earner. Otherwise, you're truly not rewarding the people who unfortunately born in a low wage country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The reason why Portugal is a member of the infamous PIIGS, is because, like its fellow members, it was stupid enough to join the eurozone... certainly not because it has become a haven for European retirees. 

Many here seem to have trouble with simple maths. 

There you have people who are handed money by their country to go spend it in another country. 

Never mind if it is 20,000 or 40,000 or 200,000 baht per month, the fact is that this money ends up in the coffers of the country of residence, rather than in those of the country of origin. 

Multiply this by millions of retirees and it starts to matter. 

Do you think that England would rather have, say 100,000 English retirees spending, say 100,000,000 pounds per month at home, or in Thailand? 

Which country is a net loser and which is a net winner in such a scheme? 

Those who dismiss retirees as small contributors to the economy, could also dismiss small farmers, shopkeepers, street vendors, artisans and craftmen, and let the whole economy in the hands of big corporations and their oligarchs... that would certainly be very pleasant... 

You do know it's a two way thing don't you? Retirees from other countries spend their pensions in the country where people emigrate from.

(Talking about retirees not immigrant/refugee spongers)

As an example, Australia who monsters their pensioners  seeking a lifestyle overseas, is actually way ahead because far more money is brought into the country by retirees from elsewhere. Mainly the British.

Edited by Old Croc

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

As someone who understood the requirements, and made the effort to meet them,

When I came to Thailand (2009) the requirements for a 1 year retirement VISA was being over 50 years old and 120 pounds for the VISA.

I understood those requirements, and sent them a check for that 120GBP.

Karma insists they throw you out because you can't meet next years (or the year afters).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I am not retired but married.

Now if I dont have a big enough bank account I'm in danger of being sent to a country I haven't been to for 10 years. Ludicrous. 

If your married to a Thai lady you only need to show 400,000 baht in the bank for 2 months to get a 1 year extension of stay.

The rules have only changed for single farangie retirees not for farangie's married to a Thai lady.

I hope Thai immigration don't mess with that it's a work of art already.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Or 25k for a visa agent.

With the new rules for retirement a person even using an agent will need 400,000 baht permanently in the bank which was not required before.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Health insurance is not required to apply for a extension of stay at immigration.

Apologies your correct I thought it was something that was going to happen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

They want high-quality (read monied) retirees, not people who can't afford to live in their own home countries.

The real screaming is going to start when they add an insurance requirement to the game.

Firstly everybody can afford to live in there own country I'm here for a better quality of life apart from many other reasons.

When retiring here you should get health insurance at some stage or have funds aside as a cover for insurance anyway not wait until it's forced upon you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 300sd said:

I agree that Thailand should welcome retirees! But they don't.

They let us stay here if we jump through their hoops with hordes of visits to immigration, paperwork, copies....bs when having to acquire address letters for licenses etc. Reports when we stay away from home for one night! It doesn't matter whether we live on 50,000 baht a month in this country or 150,000. There are some stupid hoops we all have to jump through to stay. It's principle in my opinion and I don't think they want us or like us much.

So what are you gonna do about it Thailand has got to do something about scumbags wanting to stay here.

All the regs I just take them all in my stride and it's no big deal if your properly organised. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ocddave said:

Well you could always move to Sicily Italy and purchase a retirement home for 1 euro! ????  

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/one-dollar-home-sambuca-sicily-italy/index.html

Interesting project. 

You only need around 20k US dollars to refurbish the homes.  Sicily , great food , sun , beaches. Maybe not very cheap but it's very beautiful there. And clean , fresh air from the Mediterranean . 

• Like 2