For those who use visa agents ... A heads up.

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As I understand it, senior immigration officials have discretion to waive seasoning requirements. This is within the rules.

If so then the IMM Officer is entitled to the fee of 2000 baht per extension as noted on Page 38 of the Thai Immigration Act 2522 (1979). Anything more than the 2000 baht is a bribe.

Page 38:

(3) Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom under Section 35, per person, each time 2,000 baht

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

// And in answer to the OP, in Pattaya, you can apply 60 days prior to the last extensions expiry, so your mate can do his in time.

I really doubt about that. I heard many guys being said 30 days max, and only know one who managed to make it more than 30 days before, but for a very serious reason (death of his father)

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was in Jomtien Immigration on Friday to do my 90 day report, whilst there I questioned when I could submit my retirement extension application due end of April, two different officers told me 30 days before. 

Agree. The nearly standard reply at Jomtien: 30 days max.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Talking to two agents I know today, they have already found a way around it, but guess what? They will now be charging more money than before

49 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

so the system seems set to continue as before, with the agents Big Joke was trying to put out of business, simply making more money

The Thai way; difficult times, charge more, making more money? I don't think so.

16 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I agree with many people who don't see how this change in rules may stop Agent. :unsure:

If there were until now Immigration Officers who were ready to ignore the 3-months seasoning requirement against a brow envelope,

what will stop these same officers to ignore this 1-year seasoning requirement against a bit larger envelope ?

Except if there is some change in the procedure that we don't know yet, I don't see how the new rules could succeed to stop agents :unsure:

Went to my local IO this morning to enquire about these changes and was waved away by Mrs Grumpy and was told no change no change.so mabe the local offices are not going to play ball,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

And in answer to the OP, in Pattaya, you can apply 60 days prior to the last extensions expiry, so your mate can do his in time.

30 days in Pattaya - it would be something extraordinary for 60 days. Never heard of one that early.

Edited by pontious
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I agree with many people who don't see how this change in rules may stop Agent. :unsure:

If there were until now Immigration Officers who were ready to ignore the 3-months seasoning requirement against a brow envelope,

what will stop these same officers to ignore this 1-year seasoning requirement against a bit larger envelope ?

Except if there is some change in the procedure that we don't know yet, I don't see how the new rules could succeed to stop agents :unsure:

I would guess one issue they need to get round now is the second check on bank balance after 90 days. At the moment it is down to one officer to waive or not check  on seasoning and he is compensated accordingly. Under the new rules this process needs repeating again 90 days later with no guarantee that the same officer will be doing the checking requiring a second mug of tea and the applicant over a barrel already having already paid the first officer.

Edited by Orac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

I really doubt about that. I heard many guys being said 30 days max, and only know one who managed to make it more than 30 days before, but for a very serious reason (death of his father)

That's what I have been told at CW for the last 5 years - 30 days in advance, max.  Never heard of 40, 45 or 60 days before, ever.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

The whole thing is quite entertaining, and while I understand that the idea was to stop agents putting through dodgy applications, and making money into the bargain, it does not seem to have achieved that. Talking to two agents I know today, they have already found a way around it, but guess what? They will now be charging more money than before, so the system seems set to continue as before, with the agents Big Joke was trying to put out of business, simply making more money, while causing major inconvenience to all the rest of us. Way to go there BJ, another epic fail!

And in answer to the OP, in Pattaya, you can apply 60 days prior to the last extensions expiry, so your mate can do his in time.

Untrue.

30 days Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I have renewed my retirement extension 39 and 35 days ahead of renewal date in two of the last 4 years at Jomtien. Both processed without comment from IO and I made no mention of the early application.

Both were done about a couple of weeks before songkran, this being my reason for going early to avoid the rush before and after the holiday period, so that may have been a reason for lack of IO comment. Who knows.

That has been my experience.

• Like 2

I just did my last extension 40 days early.  At my office they allow 45.

Heard some offices offer 30.

Never (until reading the comments in this thread) heard of 60 days early.

This is just another example of what a mess the whole system is.

You can't even get clarity on a simple question like:

How early can I do my application?

Also please note that if you do apply early for your extension you will not lose any time of your old extension. That is, if you still have 1 month left on your current extension and you go to make a new application, the stamp you get will be dated 13 months into the future.

Edited by Khaeng Mak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Talking to two agents I know today, they have already found a way around it, but guess what? They will now be charging more money than before, so the system seems set to continue as before, with the agents Big Joke was trying to put out of business, simply making more money, //

I wonder how agents can already announce such things, when nobody seems to know yet what will be the exact procedure of Thai Immigration to verify the balance history of our bank account... It's well possible that the procedure bring some serious difficulties for the bad agents (… and I hope so :wink:).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1