Are The New Retirement Extension Rules A Breach Of Human Rights?

Khaeng Mak

I would like to see a waiver possibility for people who have resided in Thailand for many years and have an income of 250,000 to 300,000 per year.  I have friends in that situation who won't be able afford the 800,000 in the bank for five months and 400,000 for the remaining seven.  Fortunately some are EU citizens whose countries continue to issue income letters.

2 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

The recent changes to the requirements for a retirement extension require 800k baht to be locked in an account for 5 months and 400K locked in all year.

So a significant number of long term expats, many of whom have well established roots here with families and other commitments, must now scramble to find more money, or be torn from their loved ones.

Other members on Thai Visa have posted that rights groups have already sprung up in some areas. Apparently one is called "Don't take my husband". Can anyone confirm this?

Sorry O/P but your argument falls flat on its face by simply reading your own comments.

You refer to the financial changes for a retirement extension, but you build your case around the potential affect on families. What's the connection I might ask?

The financial rules pertaining to a marriage extension have not changed at all, so your argument is, I'm afraid,  self defeating. 

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

I would like to see a waiver possibility for people who have resided in Thailand for many years and have an income of 250,000 to 300,000 per year.  I have friends in that situation who won't be able afford the 800,000 in the bank for five months and 400,000 for the remaining seven.  Fortunately some are EU citizens whose countries continue to issue income letters.

I would like they gave me money to live here.

• Haha 1