Up to 15 British ministers may vote to stop UK from leaving EU on March 29: Bloomberg

webfact

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nothing to do with anti- intellectual Grouse.

I read your post which came across to me as boastful but worse still as using the institutions in which you and your children received education as a stick to beat those less fortunate than yourself.

I read SeangWan’s post as a celebration of providing wider access to higher education, something that deserves celebration.

I’ve no axe to grind on this, I tooand my children after me ha e been fortunate to have received our degrees from world leading universities.

That to me is a privilege, not a stick.

You obviously not been exposed to the disdain with which university education is held by so many.

I did not start this; I am reacting to it.

Anyway, off topic. I for one am dropping further discussion.

Edited by Grouse
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

You obviously not been exposed to the disdain with which university education is held by so many.

I did not start this; I am reacting to it.

I certainly have, and I have joined many a debate here on TVF on that very subject.

I’ve been searching for but unable to find the video clip of Sir Tony Robinson (Blackadder) on BBC Question Time.

During a discussion on higher education, the ‘dumming down’ arguments came up from the audience and the panel.

Robinson launches into

a stunning rebuttal, explaining that he never had the chance of a higher education, what that meant to him and his life and how we should give everyone access to get the best education they can.

Hairs standing up on the back of my  neck stuff.

As for what degrees are real degrees.

My father graduated with his second degree in the very first graduation year of the OU, he read History and Politics.

He sweated it, I know he did, I watched him. I still have his hand written essays which I’ll occasionally take out to read extracts from.

He got his degree but more than that, he set an example for his kids, we were surrounded by discussion and debate, his OU education sowing seeds tha I and my brothers and sisters took with us.

His History and Politics degree was a ‘real degree’ with real positive consequences for him and his family.

His first degree, which he told me he found easier, was in Mathematics at Columbia.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nothing to do with anti- intellectual Grouse.

I read your post which came across to me as boastful but worse still as using the institutions in which you and your children received education as a stick to beat those less fortunate than yourself.

I read SeangWan’s post as a celebration of providing wider access to higher education, something that deserves celebration.

I’ve no axe to grind on this, I tooand my children after me ha e been fortunate to have received our degrees from world leading universities.

That to me is a privilege, not a stick.

hmmm,

am learning things now - somewhat worrying and disappointing

I have a bunch of uni degrees, 6 all together, one from the UK, four from Norway and one from Sweden

it has never ever occurred to me that it should matter which institution dished out which paper

I feel sorry for the UK if it actually matters who dishes out the final paper

conservatism is just the first name when it comes to the UK, no wonder you cannot sort out Brexit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

hmmm,

am learning things now - somewhat worrying and disappointing

I have a bunch of uni degrees, 6 all together, one from the UK, four from Norway and one from Sweden

it has never ever occurred to me that it should matter which institution dished out which paper

I feel sorry for the UK if it actually matters who dishes out the final paper

conservatism is just the first name when it comes to the UK, no wonder you cannot sort out Brexit

Six! Now that's greedy! Unfortunately out in the real world it does matter which institution one graduated from. Doors can open (or not). Formally all classified degrees have the same status, but it doesn't always equate. Having said that, there are other countervailing factors, so the graduate from the higher ranking uni doesn't always win out. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Island in North West Germany

tax free haven

within reasonably easy reach by sailing from Norway (if you are fanatic/keen like me)

tough to get back home though with severe hangovers

excellent place for partying and reflecting over Brexit

A bit windy though.

13 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Six! Now that's greedy! Unfortunately out in the real world it does matter which institution one graduated from. Doors can open (or not). Formally all classified degrees have the same status, but it doesn't always equate. Having said that, there are other countervailing factors, so the graduate from the higher ranking uni doesn't always win out. 

glad you said that bit about countervailing factors

last 7-8 years of my working life one of my degrees was a legal requirement

otherwise, all jobs based on competence and ability to perform and deliver,

degree from here or there - my ass

I am a mega fan of open university,

why take a university education?

to learn to think - to learn to learn - to learn to distinguish between sheit and double sheit

and to learn to break down and structure complexity

with the heaps of degrees you have in the UK cabinet and in HoC

one may wonder why they (politicians) are not able to break Brexit down into

manageable pieces and analyze those pieces and plot a way forward

(The superiority of Oxford/Cambridge compared to Open University ain't no easy to spot, maybe with a microscope)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

glad you said that bit about countervailing factors

last 7-8 years of my working life one of my degrees was a legal requirement

otherwise, all jobs based on competence and ability to perform and deliver,

degree from here or there - my ass

I am a mega fan of open university,

why take a university education?

to learn to think - to learn to learn - to learn to distinguish between sheit and double sheit

and to learn to break down and structure complexity

with the heaps of degrees you have in the UK cabinet and in HoC

one may wonder why they (politicians) are not able to break Brexit down into

manageable pieces and analyze those pieces and plot a way forward

(The superiority of Oxford/Cambridge compared to Open University ain't no easy to spot, maybe with a microscope)

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/open-university-uk-enrollment-courses-problems

The OU is an excellent, venerable institution. I hope it survives.

48 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Interestingly I find myself in near complete agreement in this subject with people who on matters of politics I fight like cat and dog.

There might be some hope in that.

bloody hell, TVF not working, tried to press like on this post - didna work

so I say it here: I liked your post

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Interestingly I find myself in near complete agreement in this subject with people who on matters of politics I fight like cat and dog.

There might be some hope in that.

There might be one or two of them prepared to give you a character reference once the trials of Enemies Of The People begin. ????

Edited by SheungWan

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

But Oxon is more likely to open doors than Open is. Way of the world old chap.

that is maybe highlighting just one of UK's many many challenges

boomboom peoples capabilities, focus on who dished out the paper

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Modesty? I never remove my trousers in public!

Seriously, the continual anti-intellectual chants have become boring. It is my strong belief that education is key and worth striving for. Frankly, if that comes across as immodesty; I don't give a damn.

He used to drop his drawers at lectures though. Not back row stuff either. ????

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

Oh yes. Reputation often counts for at least as much as the degree classification. 

12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Oh yes. Reputation often counts for at least as much as the degree classification. 

When it comes to the elite institutions (Eton/Harrow/Oxford/Cambridge etc.), one also has to take into consideration the friends/connections/'people like us' etc. attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

But Oxon is more likely to open doors than Open is. Way of the world old chap.

Membership of the Bullingdon Club opens even more doors.

Also an Oxford degree is of no use if it isn't accompanied by attendance at Eaton College.

Edited by Spidey
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

When it comes to the elite institutions (Eton/Harrow/Oxford/Cambridge etc.), one also has to take into consideration the friends/connections/'people like us' etc. attitude.

The Brexiteer connections should count for something.

8 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

'Paper', as you put it, is not 'dished out'. 

Edited by SheungWan

8 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Brexiteer friends not exactly a plus on the social circuit then?