Terminate contract because of noise

I have a contract which will finish in Aug, but a big company started to build a mall next to the condo and it generates noise.

I have a baby which means if she can't sleep, nobody will sleep, so when they do some big noises, she wake up.

Is there any way to get back the deposit because the condo became uninhabitable?

It's not the owner mistake but not mine either.

What can do in this case?

5 minutes ago, Badb0y said:

rule in Thailand

Yes there are rules...getting someone to follow those rules is the difficult bit especially if they are rich

(the developer of noisy condo will be rich)

Have you talked to the landlord and  maybe suggest they return half the deposit ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johng said:

Yes there are rules...getting someone to follow those rules is the difficult bit especially if they are rich

(the developer of noisy condo will be rich)

Have you talked to the landlord and  maybe suggest they return half the deposit ?

Yeah talked, she is like dumb.

Is there anybody know where is the rules written? They suggested me to report to police, I think I'll report every day until the company doesn't pay my deposit.

Edited by Badb0y
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pravda said:

This is not a valid reason to break a lease. You live in the city and noise is part of life, especially in a condo.

I rented out my place back home which is downtown and there are constant fire truck sirens from midnight to 6am. If my tenant wanted to break the lease because of this I'd sue him....and this is in the place where tenants have a lot of protection over landlords.

Your whining is unjustified. It's entirely your fault. You rented the place.

Cool down guy, you'll get heart attack soon!

I rent this place more than 2 years. If I see this I'll NOT rent it! I can't do anything if they started to build a mall during my contract.

So at the court tenant has more protection it means it is worth to try to make a complaint there?

Edited by Badb0y
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Did you sign a new contract for another year each year?

Usually in Thailand contracts are signed for a year, and after the first year the contract just continues month by month.

Yeah, the <deleted> owner forced it! Maybe she knew something that I didn’t

Edited by Badb0y
  • Like 2

yep Thai do just whatever they like, same here, a thai lady has moved into a studio opposite my condo and has turned it into a laundry, despite ruling saying one cannot operate a business from one, buildings management havent done the bloody thing.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2019 at 11:58 AM, johng said:

First would be to ask your landlord if (likely) they don't agree then maybe you could find "someone who doesn't mind noise too much" to take over the contract for the few months...maybe subsidise the rent for them..how much is the deposit ?

I read on here that any contract can be terminated once you give 3O days noticed.

I just read it again lately as someone had "liked" a comment I made on it which was ..."what's the point then of having contracts for more than 30 days"?

2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I read on here that any contract can be terminated once you give 3O days noticed.

I just read it again lately as someone had "liked" a comment I made on it which was ..."what's the point then of having contracts for more than 30 days"?

There are conditions attached to that . Otherwise like you said it would be pointless

18 hours ago, Badb0y said:

Yeah talked, she is like dumb.

Is there anybody know where is the rules written? They suggested me to report to police, I think I'll report every day until the company doesn't pay my deposit.

You don't have a case

To answer Pravda, who does not miss one, it's been 8 years since I live in the same condo.
An 80 year old man has settled with a 30 year old girl since December 2018.
Music all day long
  and skyp at night, from 18H until 23H.
It is not the girl who is involved, it is the old man.
In addition, he knocks on the neighbors with American punch
and electric telescopic baton, threatens them, insults them.
The police came 3 times, but nothing, always the same.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sirocco said:

To answer Pravda, who does not miss one, it's been 8 years since I live in the same condo.
An 80 year old man has settled with a 30 year old girl since December 2018.
Music all day long
  and skyp at night, from 18H until 23H.
It is not the girl who is involved, it is the old man.
In addition, he knocks on the neighbors with American punch
and electric telescopic baton, threatens them, insults them.
The police came 3 times, but nothing, always the same.

Completely different situation.

There are laws to stop noise between 11pm and 7am. You need to contact the management of your condo and/ or the police. This is not your landlords problem. Its yours. If enough owners or renters of condos complain something will be done..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pravda said:

This is not a valid reason to break a lease. You live in the city and noise is part of life, especially in a condo.

I rented out my place back home which is downtown and there are constant fire truck sirens from midnight to 6am. If my tenant wanted to break the lease because of this I'd sue him....and this is in the place where tenants have a lot of protection over landlords.

Your whining is unjustified. It's entirely your fault. You rented the place.

Your example is different, and in any case what happens in another country is not relevant.

No need to be so strong in your words.

• Thanks 1

How long has the construction been going on? The worst is usually when the foundation piling work is being done. How big is the condo going to be? Meaning are you in a subsoi where it can't be more than 8 stories high, or a main street where it could be 40 stories? If it's a small condo project then stick it out till August while you look for somewhere else (as another poster said, not next to empty land, or a single house on a large plot in a popular soi, because developers love knocking those down and building condos in their place). And piling for a small project won't take long so once finished, you might be okay with the construction noise.

If you really like your current condo and the project next door won't ruin your view once complete, have you thought about investing in double glazing in the bedroom? Friend of mine had the same issue as you and he had glazing fitted. Not cheap (I think it was around 20K for balcony sliding doors and bedroom windows) but now he sleeps like a baby.

• Like 1

Of course it is not the fault of your owner, in this very specific case.
But she could make a commercial gesture
  and if you find another condo, very quickly,
break the contract.
Well, do not dream.
For the noise, you will have it day and night,
we had the case for a mall
  and now for a retirement home.

But no, post 20, and I would like to believe you.
The tenants of the condo are ALL SWEDISH,
as well as the old man,
and are only tourists of 3 or 6 months.
When the police come, it's up to five or six police officers
more the owners.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Whats your complaint? That they are building next door? Building makes noise, your building probably annoyed people when it was built. Unfortunately its just part of city life, especially in a city with a lot of development like Bangkok. I was watching a renovation program last night which was based in Melbourne and they had exactly the same issue, not much can be done, and its not just here. I think the only grounds for complaint would be if they were working all night etc.

I dont think landlords anywhere would have any obligation to let you out of your contract so it seems this might just be one you either have to put up with or swallow the loss of deposit.

They start around 7am and finish 11pm every single day without break. Is it allowed like this? So I shouldn't complain then? You know if you have a baby it's a bit different ;o)

Edited by Badb0y

37 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

How long has the construction been going on? The worst is usually when the foundation piling work is being done. How big is the condo going to be? Meaning are you in a subsoi where it can't be more than 8 stories high, or a main street where it could be 40 stories? If it's a small condo project then stick it out till August while you look for somewhere else (as another poster said, not next to empty land, or a single house on a large plot in a popular soi, because developers love knocking those down and building condos in their place). And piling for a small project won't take long so once finished, you might be okay with the construction noise.

If you really like your current condo and the project next door won't ruin your view once complete, have you thought about investing in double glazing in the bedroom? Friend of mine had the same issue as you and he had glazing fitted. Not cheap (I think it was around 20K for balcony sliding doors and bedroom windows) but now he sleeps like a baby.

Good post.  We lived next door to a highrise condo being built and the initial piling work made the most noise.  After that it was no bother at all.  In your shoes, I would wait out the beginning construction and see if it doesn't get better.  

Close the windows and put the air on.  Maybe buy a 'white noise' machine to help mask the sound.   For all renters, make sure that any contract you sign has a month to month clause after the initial rental period.  If the landlord says no, look elsewhere--plenty of rentals.

50 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

They are Building the Biggest Mall (Bangkok Mall) in Asia with a 42 storey hotel, The estimation is two years at least.

Edited by Badb0y
  • Sad 1

Money from construction and people doing the construction are more important than your lack of sleep........

Here is how it might work.  You do your fake nice smile, tell them you have to go back to your country....give them one month notice in writing and take a picture of it......have a thai go with you if possible.....show them on the calendar when you need to leave....

if that doesn't work, then put your baby first and let them keep the deposit. yea, loss of money, but your baby needs some sleep and next time better luck.

but next time there will be 100 dogs, chickens, and other things.  trust me, silence is almost impossible.  

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

Good post.  We lived next door to a highrise condo being built and the initial piling work made the most noise.  After that it was no bother at all.  In your shoes, I would wait out the beginning construction and see if it doesn't get better.  

Close the windows and put the air on.  Maybe buy a 'white noise' machine to help mask the sound.   For all renters, make sure that any contract you sign has a month to month clause after the initial rental period.  If the landlord says no, look elsewhere--plenty of rentals.

Windows closed, thick curtains closed Aircon on, no help.