Cheating gasoline station s in Pattaya

LoFuLa

To the gasoline stations for 700baht desiel but forgot to check the oil meter instantly, when I paid and drive out the meter add only less then 300baht.  The reason every time the 700baht can fill half of the tank.  

This cannot be a complain but a friendly reminder all members for this kind of trick by their staff.

When they remove the gun from the pump it (should) resets the counter.

So this scam is played when a customer asks for a small amount of fuel, and then they immediately start pumping a new customer without replacing the gun - so the new customers pays for both lots.

Always check the counter is at zero before they start pumping..

Much more likely on the gasoline pumps when they've just filled up a motorcycle, and then move on to a car. 

Edited by steve73
  • Like 1

To the gasoline stations for 700baht desiel but forgot to check the oil meter instantly, when I paid and drive out the meter add only less then 300baht.  The reason every time the 700baht can fill half of the tank.  
This cannot be a complain but a friendly reminder all members for this kind of trick by their staff.

Which gas station?

When they remove the gun from the pump it (should) resets the counter.

So this scam is played when a customer asks for a small amount of fuel, and then they immediately start pumping a new customer without replacing the gun - so the new customers pays for both lots.

Always check the counter is at zero before they start pumping..

Much more likely on the gasoline pumps when they've just filled up a motorcycle, and then move on to a car. 
The Pattaya Tai garage usually the cars use certain pumps and bikes other pumps so you'd think not so easy to pull that trick

12 hours ago, bbko said:

The Shell station on Pattaya Tai has been doing that for years.

I've been using them for years without any problems, though I always get out of my vehicle and watch the entire filling process, check the bill and count my change. But I do that everywhere here if money is involved. Only an idiot would do otherwise.

Trust no one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I've been using them for years without any problems, though I always get out of my vehicle and watch the entire filling process, check the bill and count my change. But I do that everywhere here if money is involved. Only an idiot would do otherwise.

Trust no one.

Do you lock your car to make sure they do not sneak up behind you and steal something from inside?

Why don't you video/photo every transaction and interaction.  Easily done with one of these.

It will keep them on their toes and honest.....

unnamed.jpg

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 1

I have got into a routine now where I always ask for diesel 1,000 Baht. I watch the pump as they zero it, then set it to automatic. I also know how many kilometres to add to what the reading on the odometer was before filling. this way I know what has gone in the tank. Mind you, I don't know how I could prove if I had been cheated if the pump switched off at 1,000 Baht and it did not match my total....:sad:

I've been driving in Thailand for a long time. I always fill the tank and have never had this happen.

That said, I do pay attention to what's going on around me.

"Trust everyone, and always count your change."

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Do you lock your car to make sure they do not sneak up behind you and steal something from inside?

I do lock my car when I leave it, yes. I dont need to do it at petrol stations because I dont go more than a couple of feet away from it. If I did go further away, like to the toilet, then I would indeed lock it.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Why don't you video/photo every transaction and interaction. 

Because I dont need to. It is enough to check bills and change.

I have spotted many hundreds of errors that way over the years.

1 hour ago, Kim J said:

I would like to ask you just one question, in the hundreds of 'errors' you have spotted, how many times have you been given too much? I dare say just as me, a big fat 0. 

More than your zero, but not a lot more. The odds are definitely in favour of paying too much if you dont check.

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

And when they ask to lift the hood to check your engine, levels, whatever, politely say. Mai Tawng khrup. Dee laew. No need. All good.

Go through a more reliable service schedule.

You have been asked by the staff at a pump in Thailand if you would like them to look under the hood? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You have been asked by the staff at a pump in Thailand if you would like them to look under the hood? 

Certainly happened to me a fair few times over the years. As the poster noted, best to decline their 'kind' offer!!

• Like 1