Contract signed: Patong beachfront power lines, fibre-optic cable to be installed underground

webfact

Contract signed: Patong beachfront power lines, fibre-optic cable to be installed underground

By Waranya Prompinpiras

1551861536_1-org.jpg

Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kepsub (left) was present in Bangkok yesterday (Mar 5) for the formal signing of the contract hiring I.M.P Consortium to install the power lines and communications cables underground along three kilometres of the Patong beach road.. Photo: Patong Municipality

PHUKET: Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kepsub yesterday (Mar 5) signed the formal contact hiring joint-venture I.M.P Consortium to install the power lines and communications cables, including a fibre-optic main, underground along three kilometres of the Patong beach road.

Under the contract, signed at the Provincial Electricity Authority Electrical head office in Bangkok, I.M.P Consortium is to be paid B228 million to carry out the work.

The contract start date was yesterday (Mar 5), with I.M.P Consortium given one year to complete the work, from the Pak Bang Canal to Laem Petch Intersection.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/contract-signed-patong-beachfront-power-lines-fibre-optic-cable-to-be-installed-underground-70618.php#dckOH33rIM1oFQHE.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-03-06
  • Haha 1

“We will invite business operators and people who live in the area to talk about how the staff will work. We need their opinions and to know whether they have any concerns about this project so that we can find a way to minimise the inconvenience for them,"

This was a PR opportunity, with the announcement above on the day after the contract formally started.

No advance planning of course.

It is stated the project will be completed within exactly one year.

Call me cynical. In fact, call me an ambulance, I'll no doubt faint if it is completed and working within that timespan.

• Haha 1

Just wondering whether there are engineering principles / laws / regulations about how it must be done.

Some years back a certain telephone company did this along some major roads in Bkk, Petchaburi Road one example, the worst work you can ever imagine, hand dig some trenches, no measurements, no specifications, just put the wires in and cover with loose dirt. And many sections opened and never completed and left like that for years. 

Of course nobody would have challenged the telecom company involved, nobody including officials would have dared.  

21 minutes ago, atyclb said:

underground electric cables some of which may be more than 220volts in close proximity to where lots of people walk barefoot + rain.  sounds good

In my "nanny state", in which I then lived 40 years ago, they were putting power lines and telephone lines underground every time a road/street had to be dug up (usually for storm water drainage/sewerage or water supply piping to be fixed/replaced) in my city. No problem if done correctly.

But TIT, I understand your point.

3 kilometres of work for nearly 300 millon BAHT. 

100 million BAHT per kilometre sounds extreme even by western standards let alone @ somchai Burmese labor rates. 

Plenty of cream being skimmed off the top of the milk.